• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have not seen it yet. Movies is movies and fighting is real.
    But since i do like gratuitous cinema violence here are my favorites from Taken. Fists, bottles, knives, and guns, kill the scrum anyway that you can.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    FrommerStop said:
    I have not seen it yet. Movies is movies and fighting is real.

Sure. I have to give Keanu credit though, he did train hard on the range for Wick 1 and 2, and he does quite well.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sure. I have to give Keanu credit though, he did train hard on the range for Wick 1 and 2, and he does quite well.
    I was taking break and so for a few minutes looked at the linked video, did not finish.
    One should train the way you will carry and that means a real concealing garment over your gun and an appropriate holster for such. I could never conceal that protruding holster or mag pouches. There is certainly value in some of techniques that are being taught. I did see use of cover. So far no getting off the X. The most important thing in a fight is not just shooting the goblin, but not getting shot yourself.
    Many stars do train a bit for their movies. Some even do the stunts.

For many here what that fellow was being taught is the way to train; people need to decide what they think is wisest for them. I think for my purposes there are better training schools.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Im surprised he didn't correct Reeves for doing the turtle head tuck, where he tucks his head between raised shoulders, bad form for sure.

Interesting. While I do bring my gun up instead of my head down, I still drop/tuck my chin automatically in any type of CQB situation.

Az-Vic

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    native Arizonan, moved ot panhandle 2 years ago, l
    You know; everyone has their own style, and if a guy can shoot reasonably well using that style, good on him? The head tuck is just one of those things I always try to discourage if a shooter asks my advice on what they could do to shoot better, or if helping out a new shooter. The second you tuck that head deep in between the shoulders, two things happen, it causes unnecessary tension, and blocks some peripheral vision and ability to look both ways freely.
    I utilize the same firearm mount with a pistol or revolver just as I would with a rifle, never moving the head, but keeping it upright in a natural and comfortable position, then, if shooting a rifle, bring the stock to my shoulder with a mount that puts the sights even with my eyes, you can put that rifle where ever it needs to be, there is no need to put it in the pocket, then have to dip and tuck your head to the stock. Same with handguns, no need to move your head, raise the handgun to t he position where your eyes can pick up the sight, no need to move head position. Half of good shooting is being comfortable and put the focus on trigger yank and sights without stiffening up a part of the body that will in the end, actually hinder good shooting.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Thank you for the followup. I see now we are discussing two different things. I merely drop my chin 4 to 6 in. Peripheral vision is not affected. On my rifles I also prefer a high mount.

Az-Vic

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    native Arizonan, moved ot panhandle 2 years ago, l
    If your dropping your chin down that far, we are talking about the same thing, 4-6 inches puts a hell of a strain on the neck, and causes you to raise your shoulders somewhat. It can be a tough habit to break after you become so used to tucking down tight and look thru the top of your eyes, very uncomfortable position, I just tried it and felt way more tense and bound up than just holding the handgun in relaxed comfortable position. Try just raising the handgun up that 4-6 inches with head held upright, and you'll feel what Im talking about.
    Not my style to critique a mans shooting unless asked, but just curious why, you tuck your head so tight?

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    17 years of fighting (two black belts). It doesn't seem to tense me too much but most likely because it is so natural. No worries at all, I shoot pretty well and appreciate your thoughts.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    17 years of fighting (two black belts). It doesn't seem to tense me too much but most likely because it is so natural. No worries at all, I shoot pretty well and appreciate your thoughts.
    I recommend you not pay to much attention to gun gamers and the square range shooters. I do recommend that if you have a good back ground in the martial arts to incorporate this into the gun fighting training. If you do not already do it learn to shoot while moving and also learn force on force if you are not already doing so.
    If you body is doing what it should be doing you head will be in the right place lol.

The majority of gunfights occur in dark when instinctive one handed shooting with the hand in the half homie position using meat on the metal will likely be the better technique. I bet that does not make a lot of sense to many of the readers.. Your will head will be bent forward.
    Remember in many civilian gunfight scenarios it will dark and that is also the case for LEOs. Basically you will not be able to use your sights.
    About 60 percent of officer-involved shootings occur during the hours of darkness. That's a high percentage, and it doesn't even include gun battles between law enforcement officers and suspects in darkened buildings during daylight hours. Overall, low-light incidents may account for as much as 85 percent of officer-involved shootings in large metropolitan areas.

But very few officers are receiving adequate low-light training. That's dangerous for the health of the officers, and it leaves the agencies they work for open to potentially devastating lawsuits if an officer should shoot an innocent bystander in a low-light incident. http://www.policemag.com/channel/weapons/articles/2009/06/shooting-straight-in-the-dark.aspx

Top Bottom