• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We are currently looking for a home and my wife is dead set on purchasing one with an inground pool, although I am against it. We have never owned a pool before and was just wondering what kind of expenses I am looking at in maintaining one? Monthly service, repairs etc. I'm sure it depends on the pool but was just wondering in general. Thanks!

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Only good for kiddos. If you don't have kiddos, a pool is a money pit unless you just absolutely are pool person and know it. Otherwise, most people I know that have them pay to upkeep them and don't use them hardly at all.

Now those with kids tend to use them quite often.

Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Had one a number of years ago because the wife wanted one. Have promised the wife that I will either divorce or bury her in a very deep hole before I ever own another one. DO NOT DO IT!

I heard it. A lot of money monthly. And when did you move back down south.

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do you like to spend your free time doing what you want to do, or doing what needs to be done to the pool. Or do you like to have extra money to spend on ammo, mags or rifle/gun parts or do you want to spend it on the pool boy to clean, vacuum and add ingredients to the pool? I've also heard other things about the pool boy. But that's a different topic. Don't!

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Only good for kiddos. If you don't have kiddos, a pool is a money pit unless you just absolutely are pool person and know it. Otherwise, most people I know that have them pay to upkeep them and don't use them hardly at all.

Now those with kids tend to use them quite often.

^^^^^ when my Son moved out, we never used it, I just kept it clean, waiting on a leak, or the pump to screw up. always worrying if water will get behind the liner causing it to wrinkle , oh geeze..... if you REALLY want one, get it..... but..... I sure don't miss mine.... get an above ground pool, when your tired of it give it away...

oh, as far as expenses, i used about 2 gallons of liquid chlorine and 3 hockey pucks per week, not alot of money, but don't let algae get a foot hold, then its a shock treatments and more $$$$$ i did replace the liner, about 3,500 bucks, replaced the pump,another 1,200 bucks.... insurance company made me remove the diving board, your home insurance will be more $$ for liability insurance. you HAVE to secure your pool to keep people out (fence) blah, blah, blah.... but if you really want one......

Last edited:

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    A friend put an inground pool in and had to install an alarm on the door going out to it. Plus a fence around it with a lock on the gate. The alarm went off every time the back door was opened and you could hear it standing in the front yard. Fence, locking gate and alarm were required to meet Okaloosa building codes. When he sold the house the first thing the new owner did was fill in the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    We have an above ground pool 18' round the best you can get and we use it alot. We cover it in the winter and shut it all down. We we uncover it the water is crystal clear. I would have to ask the wife what she does to put the pool asleep but it's not alot of trouble. I have had to replace the pump motor twice since 2006 when we got the pool. The one thing I would do different is get the better bottom than just sand under it.

Makes it easy also that an above ground pool pump runs on 120 so you don't need 240 for an in-ground pool. You could always run 3 phase 208 and have a super-duper pump maybe even creating a wave pool. That would be kool to own...

The other great thing about an above ground if you want to get rig of it it's super easy... Or fun. Run it over with the tractor. Blow it up. Shoot at it. etc... Just Kidding!!!

I will take the pool down when we buy another house and rent this one.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    We used ours when the kids were there and glad to get rid of it with 2 adults not using it. Repair, supplies and equipment average $250 a month unless you have a major problem.. Mine was a gunite and would not have a liner. I wanted to turn it into a catfish or shrimp farm but wife would not let me. Fenced, alarmed and you are liable no matter what, insurance will be more and carry a balloon of 1 million or more liability.

OH and I NEVER will own another!!

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All valid points, thank you. We have a 3 year old so I know it would get use, just wondering if it would be worth the extra $$. I called around today to a few different companies and they told me service would be about $100-$175 a month, depending what we had. I didn't think that was too awfully bad but I was concerned about the prices off stuff when shit starts going bad. Trust me, I am against it but you know the saying, happy wife...

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I did mine myself, a lot cheaper, but you have to save for equipment repairs or replacements. and auto cleaner is a must have for you to do it then it is just keeping up with chemicals, pool stores test your water for free..

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A pool is like a hot tube/spa, sounds great but usage will drop as the thrill fades. Scary if you or neighbors have non swim-qual kids.

If you bite the bullet, make sure you get big rectangular pool! If it doesn't work out, don't fill it in: build a cover, add lights, cloths line/pulleys a sump pump and make a underground gun range!

Gatorbob

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Love my Pool, great on a hot day or when I want to relax, my pool "Guy" comes by every Monday 4-5 times a month does the cleaning, filter as needed add chems, checks the water, vacuums, $110 per month, 1 filter per year $65. From the enjoyment I get worth it to me. Add a new timer $100 old one only work in manual. My dog like the pool too Pool night.jpg

Attachments

• Pool night.jpg
      Pool night.jpg
      54.4 KB · Views: 150

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We put in an above ground pool a few years ago...my wife loves it and I'd estimate cost runs 100-150/month. there is a good bit of upkeep and we live in the country so pine pollen, debris is an ongoing problem.

I will say this, if I had an inground pool, I'd seriously think about salt water...my current pool is a "Pristine Blue" pool...not chlorine. I think chlorine is easier to maintain and slightly less expensive but with the pristine blue, I don't feel like I need to shower after the pool...salt water and chlorine you do. For that I love it. One thing we struggle with constantly is keeping the water clear. My wife maintains the chemicals and gets very frustrated with it...I will assume the duties next summer...and for us, I believe it is all about maintaining the proper Ph....when it turns green, she wants to vacuum and pump water out of the pool because she doesn't think the filter works right..maybe it doesn't but I'll find out. Then add city water and much rain and we chase Ph up and down...too low, algea grows...too high cloudy.

Last thing I will say in terms of advice...if you get a inground pool...you have an inground pool likely for the life of your property. An above ground pool is easier to dismantle and remove if desired. I'm in my early 50's and kids are out of the house and so far, we swim every week when the water gets warm enough...I'm a cream puff when it comes to water temp and I won't get in it until it is almost bathwater warm....but overall, we like ours.

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One thing I struggle with...the pool people cant explain the difference...between alkalinity and pH above 7.0...I say that because 7.0 is neutral, 6.9 and lower is acidic and 7.1 and above is basic or...alkaline as I learned it.

Seems like we can have a pH of 7.3 which is pretty good and not have enough "alkalinity"...add alkalinity and poof wind up with a cloudy pool.

I don't have a chemical engineering degree so I'm struggling with the difference...to me, the term alkaline is a pH above 7.0 and I'm thinking in the pool world, it might mean that and the presence of some type of salt

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    We had an above ground 18’ pool for years until the wife got tired of the upkeep. She was always cleaning the leaves and other crap that blew into it and chasing the ph balance. Cost weren’t that bad except when she talked me into a sand filter system, I could have bought a gun for what it cost but the pump that was part of it really shot the water out.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Okay, I slept on I. Get the pool, have a pool party and invite everyone over for a BBQ and swim party. We can all watch Gatorbob splash around. Then when we have to pee after drinking your beer, we can get in with Gatorbob. lol.... I know its a big decision, the in grounds aren't cheap to put in. I see a few pools in my line of work. let us all know when the party is.... :)

PS,
    I've known people to rent the equipment and do it themselves, but after you smash the corner of the house with the back hoe, that starts to add up too... :(

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I also must add that ours was covered and screened with a patio cover, it is a must for a no hassle pool!

Attachments

• 327-R1-26-00A_027.jpg
      327-R1-26-00A_027.jpg
      349.6 KB · Views: 135

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    We had an above ground 18’ pool for years until the wife got tired of the upkeep. She was always cleaning the leaves and other crap that blew into it and chasing the ph balance. Cost weren’t that bad except when she talked me into a sand filter system, I could have bought a gun for what it cost but the pump that was part of it really shot the water out.

What the pool did not come with a sand filter to begin with??? We have always had a sand filter and never put sand in it we put 100% Zeo-Brite in it. Way better than sand. I have heard people do a 50 / 50 mix also. Pool is easy to take care of. But I would never own a in-ground. I would turn away looking at buying a house if it had an in-ground pool.

Latest posts

Top Bottom