• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We had our pool installed 24 years ago. Two years ago we put a screen cover over it. Best thing we ever did. My pool guy charges $160/month and does a great job. Go with a salt system if you can. much cleaner feeling water and your hair won't turn green. My wife wanted it for our boys and now for the grandkids. It is like anything else, if you don't use it, it's not worth it.

DoubleDee

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Worse than any Boat. It is literally a hole in the ground to throw lots of money. The new wears off quickly. It's good because you know where your kids are for the first two seasons as well as all of their "new" friends without pools. After two seasons they're no longer interested. Pool service doesn't always include very expensive parts needed often. "Need a new circuit board. Rebuilt is $400."
    "Lightning hit it, drive is fried. New one is $1100."
    Wife used pool three times this summer. Just had to have 8 years ago. Oh, your electric bill will increase greatly.
    God, I hate that pool! Fill in is $5000.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think the one thing people forget when thinking about a pool is how much their electric bill will increase. Imagine the long hot summer we just had, pool pump running and A/C running at the same time, I can only imagine how expensive that would be in addition to the monthly cost to maintain!

Swampy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had the same delima, my wife and kids wanted it but I didn't. So, we compromised and did it HER way. Pools are expensive to maintain, at least 100 bucks a month, assuming nothing breaks, but it will - a money pit for sure, kinda like owning a boat. I got in it a few times the first few months. My wife seldom used it after the first year. The kids (and their friends) loved it, but after they left for college it was almost never used, maybe a couple of time at the beginning of summer.

We wound up selling the house, mainly to get away from the pool and the associated problems... like snakes. Would I do it again? In the same situation, heck yeah. Made a lot of people happy.... for a while. Probably worth it. Maybe.

If your wife and child want it, and you can afford it, "might" be a good idea to go ahead and bite the bullet. Or, maybe not.

You will definitely need a secure fence. Your insurance company will probably require it. It's considered an "attractive nuisance" in some places and there is a certain liability associated with it. We returned from vacation once and found about 15 high school kids in the pool having a great time. They did some minor damage to patio furniture and vegetation, and fortunately, no one got hurt. I feel we were lucky. Yeah, I'd probably do it again.

Top Bottom