• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob Swagger

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey everyone:wave: wanted to show and tell my form1 suppressor I built :yo:
    Was able to find odds and ends from various sources that could be used to make a suppressor. I didnt want to go with any freeze plug kit because of the very poor accuracy and conentricity you would get from pressed parts, so built one from all machined parts.
    And its all in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BLYF0oPD_M

Looking forward to hearing some feedback, and criticism on what could be made better :)

Last edited:

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Interesting build. How long did your form 1 to manufacture take? Curious if it quicker than the long line for store bought.

Have to say I wondered about the safety of your backstop area. "So quiet you can hear the brass drop", and hear the ricochets off the rocks. At that apparent altitude, no telling where those went. Earlier in the video it appeared were shooting at something off screen, but no sound of ricochets. Please shoot safely and be sure of a safe backstop at all times.

Bob Swagger

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Backstop is accounted for, no worries there. wait time was like 8 months, build time a couple hours lol.

costs about 120$ to build.

Bob Swagger

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Its costs a bit more than a freeze plug setup, but with pressed plugs the accuracy is horrible with pretty bad shifts in POI. These are all machined parts.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Backstop is accounted for, no worries there. wait time was like 8 months, build time a couple hours lol.

costs about 120$ to build.

In my over 50 years of recreational, military, and Law Enforcement training shooting I have only heard ricochets in a properly constructed range environment where there are steel target frames. From rocks in my youth, I heard such sounds; but I learned that was bad, and ceased the shooting whenever I heard that sound. In the video you posted a link to, and the one titled “Shooting suppressed .22 & .223 (The Tron TRX suppressor)”, you do not seem to be on an established shooting range.

Your written comment in that video; “Bullet smashing through the tree line & brush is pretty loud.”, seems to support you do not have an adequate safe backstop where you are shooting in that video. Rock, or brush and trees, do not constitute a safe backstop for shooting. Further, your comment in the same video of “I heart the sound of ricochet :}”, would indicate you really do not care where the bullet goes when you are shooting.

I believe you are a reckless gun owner that will eventually mature, and I hope you do not injure or kill someone before you do.

Thanks for the answer on the stamp wait time for that form.

Bob Swagger

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In my over 50 years of recreational, military, and Law Enforcement training shooting I have only heard ricochets in a properly constructed range environment where there are steel target frames. From rocks in my youth, I heard such sounds; but I learned that was bad, and ceased the shooting whenever I heard that sound. In the video you posted a link to, and the one titled “Shooting suppressed .22 & .223 (The Tron TRX suppressor)”, you do not seem to be on an established shooting range.

Your written comment in that video; “Bullet smashing through the tree line & brush is pretty loud.”, seems to support you do not have an adequate safe backstop where you are shooting in that video. Rock, or brush and trees, do not constitute a safe backstop for shooting. Further, your comment in the same video of “I heart the sound of ricochet :}”, would indicate you really do not care where the bullet goes when you are shooting.

I believe you are a reckless gun owner that will eventually mature, and I hope you do not injure or kill someone before you do.

I am wise, understand physics, and am not reckless.
    Take first into account the environment setting. you cant see it, its off camera, but I was shooting at and angle into a "caved out rock hillside" so that any richochet either got caught in the "cave out" or richochet into the trees on the hillside. In the other video, a private farm, behind the thick stand of trees, there is a hillside, IF the bullet manages to pass through the thick stand as it has lost significant velocity because of the distance. Or in the video of shooting in the riverbed, the river takes a turn downrange, and the backstop is a cliffside washed out by the river.
    Second, shooting a subsonic .22, if/when it does not COMPLETELY discinerate on impact, and A PIECE OF THE BULLET (never the whole bullet, it always looses some mass on every impact- ie in the case of multiple richochets) it gets mushroomed out affecting aerodynamics and very quickly looses velocity, combined with having lost significant mass, its "dangerous range" is very short.
    Furthermore, the physics involved with turning around a bullet by sheer impact force, makes it loose a tremendous amount of energy. A .22 at subsonic velocity does not have much energy to begin with.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I am wise, understand physics, and am not reckless.
    Take first into account the environment setting. you cant see it, its off camera, but I was shooting at and angle into a "caved out rock hillside" so that any richochet either got caught in the "cave out" or richochet into the trees on the hillside. In the other video, a private farm, behind the thick stand of trees, there is a hillside, IF the bullet manages to pass through the thick stand as it has lost significant velocity because of the distance. Or in the video of shooting in the riverbed, the river takes a turn downrange, and the backstop is a cliffside washed out by the river.
    Second, shooting a subsonic .22, if/when it does not COMPLETELY discinerate on impact, and A PIECE OF THE BULLET (never the whole bullet, it always looses some mass on every impact- ie in the case of multiple richochets) it gets mushroomed out affecting aerodynamics and very quickly looses velocity, combined with having lost significant mass, its "dangerous range" is very short.
    Furthermore, the physics involved with turning around a bullet by sheer impact force, makes it loose a tremendous amount of energy. A .22 at subsonic velocity does not have much energy to begin with.

We will agree to disagree then. Use all the science to justify it you wish; but do not say you are wise, as wisdom comes with age. Rocket scientist of not, I still say not safe practices in your vids. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Top Bottom