• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Newswoman said "desperate looters"! Looters aren't desperate, they're opportunist thieves. As said, its only been a few days! Hard to eat TVs, electronics, phones and tires/rims.

Not the first time but alway just as stupid to attempt/steal a Police car. WTF benefit did he hope to get from that? A long gun and some ammo maybe or just death by Cop. Dumb ass. I feel bad for the Cop.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I see people discussing the motives of the looters. Obviously looters want something that is not theirs. Ripping off the dollar general is not a way to score big buck items. Mundane everyday items become extremely valuable when you do not have them. For example look at the contents of a homeless' person cart.
    It is a mixture of desperate circumstances for some and others are just plain thieves out looking to make big scores. Some of this also includes subhumans bound up in the drug culture. The ones that tried to steal gun safe and took all of the electronics from an officer away on duty I would likely use force against. The person trying to steal a state car was likely crazy and I would do what was needed.
    so how should one deal with looting. First a little common sense for civilians. Police and National guard personnel usually have departmental guidelines or orders of the day. For the civilian best to use common sense. I am not going to shoot someone down for stealing a pack of disposable diapers out of a store. Someone that is raiding homes in my neighborhood is altogether a different matter. I look upon this the same way I would a 4-legged animal or a serpent that is a threat the me or my livelihood. Even if I well understand the motivations and maybe I am even sympathetic to a hungry raccoon that is cleaning out my persimmon tree, he is stealing what is mine and I will do what I can to protect it within reason. The law allows me to kill critters that steal agricultural produce from me. People in FL that do steal agricultural produce are committing a felony. I would likely not shoot someone gathering a bucket of fallen pecan after a storm.

I would never shoot a looter out of anger, but rather out of necessity and even then I would be extremely selective about it. But you do what you have to. After the initial mess is cleaned up and roads are opened, the authorities will sort through and investigate obvious homicides. So use common sense.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Watching TV . . the vid taken from helo . . do not see any big camo trucks.
    The bald headed guy with the "NAVY" hat on stated that he had X amount of National Guard troops activated and X amount on standby . . do any of them carry guns and know how to post a perimeter, patrol,and guard other peoples stuff ???
    While at Katrina we were amazed at just how ineffective they were. SAME HERE ??? ---- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oh yeah . . . what would you do ??
    You see looters. You take out your cell phone and take pics/vids. They see you. Several of them approach you,give you some shit,and demand your $500.-$800. phone.
    They tell you if you don't simply hand it over to them,they will take it from you. You have a CWP and are armed.
    What do you do ?? --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Watching TV . . the vid taken from helo . . do not see any big camo trucks.
    The bald headed guy with the "NAVY" hat on stated that he had X amount of National Guard troops activated and X amount on standby . . do any of them carry guns and know how to post a perimeter, patrol,and guard other peoples stuff ???
    While at Katrina we were amazed at just how ineffective they were. SAME HERE ??? ---- SAWMAN
    After ivan I saw guardsmen with M16's slung on their shoulders directing traffic. I assume they had ammo. For H. Michael aftermath, while power restoration will take weeks, the main roads will soon be cleared and law and order restored. After the Katrina the water stayed until they got the pumps going again. Without any hurricane, shutoff the pumps in new orleans and the city will flood from ground water coming up. Much of the city is not above sea level. A bulldozer or a group of mexicans cannot clear water away.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Also on a side note, be extremely vigil over the next several months. With the Hurricane, there will be strangers displaced from the storm in the area. Pay attention to who’s around when you’re at the gas pump, or ATM machine(s), or walking through parking lots. I’m sure there will be a few desperate folks looking for unsuspecting people. Be Careful…… I'm NOT saying shoot anyone, just be aware of whos around and your surroundings, as things continue, people seem to bleed into unfamiliar areas until normal is once again achieved.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Also on a side note, be extremely vigil over the next several months. With the Hurricane, there will be strangers displaced from the storm in the area. Pay attention to who’s around when you’re at the gas pump, or ATM machine(s), or walking through parking lots. I’m sure there will be a few desperate folks looking for unsuspecting people. Be Careful…… I'm NOT saying shoot anyone, just be aware of whos around and your surroundings, as things continue, people seem to bleed into unfamiliar areas until normal is once again achieved.
    Also on the same note hurricane damaged areas attract people coming down to work in the cleanup. Some of them could also bear watching.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oh yeah . . . what would you do ??
    You see looters. You take out your cell phone and take pics/vids. They see you. Several of them approach you,give you some shit,and demand your $500.-$800. phone.
    They tell you if you don't simply hand it over to them,they will take it from you. You have a CWP and are armed.
    What do you do ?? --- SAWMAN
    Me being robbed personally is quite a bit different than someone stealing crap from DG. You have zero authority to police anything including your neighborhood and Florida law is quite specific on when deadly force can be used. CWP does not a cop make.

That said, I couldn't care less if a bunch of looters get shot while plying their craft.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I personally avoid stating what my furture actions would be in hypothetical situations. Broad statements of potentially lethal force use could come back to haunt you via the DA that you were predisposed to kill regardless of actual circumstances. We know the Laws well enough and varying circumstances will drive appropriate responses: do what you got to do!

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Also on the same note hurricane damaged areas attract people coming down to work in the cleanup. Some of them could also bear watching.

I've noticed that all the hotels in and around the Destin and FWB area are full like they are during the summertime. No doubt these are out of town workers here to help in the Panama City area.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Post Ivan,the scammers and illegal "contractors" hit us hard in the P'cola area.
    We had >$18,000 worth of work done on our house and property. I really did not care if the work crews had a contractors license or not. HOWEVER . . . I held out a bunch of money until the job was complete to my satisfaction.
    As they worked,we stayed about 50% behind in the payments to them. When completed,we paid promply. Usually,the last day on the job. --- SAWMAN

Joeinfl

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can't think of much worse than a thief who takes advantage of a catastrophe. If they'll steal from you they will lie to you and vice versa. Got no use for a lowlife thief.

Ambien_Doc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm old enough to remember being on gun forums post Katrina. About 90% of the horror stories coming out of the affected areas proved to be false (the Saint's football stadium where people were raping and murdering kids and babies, just awful stuff). I know looting happens. Hell, my squadron did Katrina clean-up after Katrina and it was awful. I've seen the wretchedness of humanity myself. But hearing about it from a gun forum is the last place to get my looting news from. It's too easy for people to post fraudulent news for whatever reasons they have (not saying anybody here is lying). The people in Michaels wake probably don't even have the internet, so they won't even be able to see these posts. I hope they were prepared and armed, or have already left.

bluedog46

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wonder if the signs are out that say "You loot and we shoot" like they had in Louisiana aafter that big one they had. I wonder if some people are going to get "social clubs" together to ensure the peace is kept.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know pre-Ivan there not very many mexicans in the pcola area. After Ivan quite a few and there illegals caught working in the Ellyson industrial park. Stories are that some of the hispanic drug cartels and gangs came up here then.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I just got back from Panama City.
    I went over to take gas and supplies to my sisters and clean up my Mom’s yard.
    I was with Gulf Power over 38 years and have worked two dozen storms and that was the worst I’ve ever seen. I didn’t see a building without damage. Some were totally collapsed. Most all signs were down.
    Traffic was horrendous and it’s very dark on the east side of Hathaway Bridge. I’m from there and had a hard time figuring out where I was when it got dark.
    Took me 2.5 hours to go from Lynn Haven to Thomas Drive, normally about 20 or 25 minutes.
    Cops were everywhere. I saw groups of 3-10 cop cars flying down the middle of the road with lights and sirens no less than 10 times in that 2.5 hour drive.
    There are lots of places set up with free food and supplies.
    There are gas lines but I noticed today heading out of town that they are quite a bit shorter than they were Monday.
    As more and more people get power the lines will get even shorter.
    I was cutting trees yesterday and the temp was 94, like working in an oven.
    I’m going back next week to finish. High temps in the 70s.
    Funny thing, I didn’t see the first National Guardsman. Maybe they are all down at Mexico Beach.

spearem

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I saw same thing as Doya
    Lots of people still needing help
    Traffic backed up at 79 & 20 about 2 miles
    If anybody knows of anyone I can assist with saws, tarps, etc. let me know
    we need to help our neighbors to the East

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have lived in florida all my life. ivan was the worst I have been thru, I still have tree damage from it I have not cleaned up in the woods...and dennis the next year also

betsy in the early 60's was next worst...we lost everything in our porch to water...came within 4"
    of the front door.. still ruined up underneath the trailer..

damn al gore..

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Meanwhile in Mexico Beach...

Citrus County sheriff's deputies arrest five in Mexico Beach

According to the Bay County Sheriff's Office, the five people arrested Thursday were part of a group called Oath Keepers.

They say the five were arrested and taken to the Bay County Jail for being out after curfew and carrying firearms in the open, both misdemeanor charges.

After it was confirmed the five were in Mexico Beach doing humanitarian work, they were released on Friday. Ruth Corley with the Bay County Sheriff's Office says they were not impersonating federal agents and were not sovereign citizens.

Top Bottom