• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thanks. Contacted the seller and we're meeting up next week. Looks like it's a closed case. Thanks everyone for spreading the word.

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    So to every one that commented and PMed, THANKS! I found the gun and bought it back, returned to Dad and he couldn't believe it.!!!

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    cool...good ending. I learned something about pawn shops that I didn't know...when I worked in Arkansas, the plant I was in had some theft, tools and such stolen...anyways some of the nailguns showed up in a local pawnshop as we had the numbers reported...turns out that items, guns tools etc...must be held for a period of time in the event they are reported stolen...can't remember how many weeks, and this was in another state but it is a good idea to have things with serial numbers written down for just such emergencies.

m4a1sof

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wow, great ending. Reminds me of an old saying "friends are the family you get to choose." Also reminds me of my one pawn shop story. Way back in 1985 I was working at the Trident sub base in Kings Bay, GA when they were building it. Nuke sub base right, you would think totally secure, wrong. I had the radar detector and radio stolen out of my car right there inside the base. The wife said let's look in the pawn shops, I replied nobody's that stupid to pawn the stuff right there in the same town, but to humor her we went to the nearest pawn shop and damn if my radio and radar detector weren't sitting right there on a shelf. Fortunately I still had the sales receipt's with the serial numbers, incredible since I always lose that sort of stuff. The look on the pawn shop owners face was priceless, needless to say he wasn't happy to see us.

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Glad you got it back, the "new owner" who bought it from the pawn shop is protected and no charges would be filed. The pawn shop is also in the clear as they must hold items for 30 days while LEO's check pawn tickets towards thefts. If the item they have has been stolen and was pawned, the actual owner must reimburse the pawn shop what they paid the thief for the item then it can be released back to the owner (with a report filed with LEO). Then charges can/will be filed on the thief. All the info on the thief is on file along with a fingerprint.

If your family member that pawned the firearm is a constant "troubled" person, I'd file the charges or make damn sure they reimburse whoever is out the $$$

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I'm with you Jason,however since the OP at least initially,tried to suppress the fact that he knew who the person that pawned (stole) it was,and they were a family member,I really doubt if the last paragraph in your above post will come to pass.
    Hopefully the unnamed individual will get either help or leadership before he goes to jail or gets caught in someones house trying to accquire another gun to pawn. --- SAWMAN

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    The thread was not about what to do to the thief, nor was it about who took the gun. It was simply about information about buying it back. The fact that it was a family member, need not be the issue since it is irrelevant to the reason of the post. BUYING a gun back. I saw no need for that information since I could have found the gun, contacted the owner, and bought it back just like I did.

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I do understand having him turned in to LEO though. I was the first to suggest it in the family, but due to the sensitive nature it was not my choice since this type of thing has happened before.

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Family members are human and they, like other humans, have their own individual set of ethics. in our altruistic society, i often hear phrases like 'unconditional love' associated with family and I just don't buy into that...a person, friend or family, should treat another with honesty, dignity and respect and if not, don't expect it in return. I've personally been in and/or witnessed more than a couple of situations where friends, family and local community members did something illegal and immoral and there is always lots opinions on what to do.

In every case...and I mean every case...when a person, or me, turned the cheek so-to-speak, the behavior was repeated later on, with someone else. Only perceived consequences have a chance to modify behavior...and if those consequences are not perceived to be soon, certain and negative enough that won't work either. Many (maybe most) of the unethical in the human race rely on all too predictable nature of other humans to keep their actions either hidden or unpunished.

Good ending though...and a rare one at that!

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Family members are human and they, like other humans, have their own individual set of ethics. in our altruistic society, i often hear phrases like 'unconditional love' associated with family and I just don't buy into that...a person, friend or family, should treat another with honesty, dignity and respect and if not, don't expect it in return. I've personally been in and/or witnessed more than a couple of situations where friends, family and local community members did something illegal and immoral and there is always lots opinions on what to do.

In every case...and I mean every case...when a person, or me, turned the cheek so-to-speak, the behavior was repeated later on, with someone else. Only perceived consequences have a chance to modify behavior...and if those consequences are not perceived to be soon, certain and negative enough that won't work either. Many (maybe most) of the unethical in the human race rely on all too predictable nature of other humans to keep their actions either hidden or unpunished.

Good ending though...and a rare one at that!

I agree.

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Hey enough info about the relative/thief....pawn shop, purchaser etc, lets see a pic of your Dad with said rifle and a big ole smile...!!!

Top Bottom