• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    My Dad was given a Winchester model 94 Trapper edition in 45 LC with a scope with see through mounts. The gun was passed down after my grandfather passed away.

It was "pawned" without my Dads knowedge in Pensacola. Since I found out, I've been searching the forums to find and buy it back for him since it has such sentimental value, not to mention the value of the actual rifle.

If anyone has any info on it or has one for sale please PM or comment. I doubt I'll find it on here, but this is the last thing I can do other than reporting it stolen.

It was sold at Cash America Pawn on 9 mile by waffle House and CVS.

Last edited:

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good luck on your search. I will keep an eye out for it. The pawn shop records should show who is was sold to. Has the person who pawned it been prosecuted?

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    We've already talked to the pawn shop owner but he won't give the info on the seller ( even for me to contact and buy back).

No prosecution.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sounds to me like it could have been a family member. If you are reluctant to get the police involved,why do you expect us to help you ??
    If I have a buddy that bought this gun legally from the pawn shop,what do you expect me to do ??
    If bought from a pawn shop a 4473 had to be generated. Can a LEO demand to see the 4473 ?? If he does,what can he do with the info ?? How do you know where it was pawned at ??
    What laws were broken . . . AND . .. by who ?? --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I know that it was family. The member fessed up and went to the shop to try to get it back. Dad doesn't want it to be an issue and as far as their concerned, it in the past, I'm just trying to buy the gun back if possible. If not, oh well.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I understand, that is shame about the sale of a family firearm. I think if the new owner heard your story, he or she might be inclined to sell you the gun back. I know I would be. I think posting on local gun forums is a great way to get your message out. Hope you find it.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sounds to me like it could have been a family member. If you are reluctant to get the police involved,why do you expect us to help you ??
    If I have a buddy that bought this gun legally from the pawn shop,what do you expect me to do ??
    If bought from a pawn shop a 4473 had to be generated. Can a LEO demand to see the 4473 ?? If he does,what can he do with the info ?? How do you know where it was pawned at ??
    What laws were broken . . . AND . .. by who ?? --- SAWMAN

So that was just cold. It was his grandfather's gun and then his father's gun. I would want it back if this had happened to me. He asked for help. No harm in that.

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I understand, that is shame about the sale of a family firearm. I think if the new owner heard your story, he or she might be inclined to sell you the gun back. I know I would be. I think posting on local gun forums is a great way to get your message out. Hope you find it.

Thanks. I'm not trying to get him arrested or into legal trouble, but it was a wrong thing to do.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The only chance you have of getting it back is to report it stolen ad the have law enforcement find out who bought it. Unfortunately you'll end up buying it back unless LE take it as evidence. Paw shops are the scum of the earth in general when it comes to stolen items; they usually victimize a crime victim twice.

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    The only chance you have of getting it back is to report it stolen ad the have law enforcement find out who bought it. Unfortunately you'll end up buying it back unless LE take it as evidence. Paw shops are the scum of the earth in general when it comes to stolen items; they usually victimize a crime victim twice.

I figured that. Reporting it stolen is not an option for my Dad, so if I can't find it and buy it back, it'll be lost. It angers me that it was just stolen and pawned though. I was fiery mad when I found out, being close to Pop n all.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you have the serial number , I’d report it missing under suspicious circumstances. The pawn shop owner has to fill out a report for the police/ sheriffs dept for every thing they buy. If they didn’t they are in serious trouble. The Leo’s will have the serial number and the name of the person that sold it to the pawn shop. I’d use that information to convince him to give the me the name of the person he sold it to. I doubt that they sold it , the owner or one of the people that work there have it in their possession. I got a model 41 S&W back under similar circumstances, the owners son had my pistol they had paid only $125 for it.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To me this all seems wrong, you are bringing heat down on the Pawn shop..

Did not the Pawn shop purchase the item in a lawful manner... did they not act in good faith.. the item was not listed as stolen..

Who ever in the heck purchased it, did they not do this in a lawful manner.. It was a legal item to sell..

The culprit who is responsible for skullduggery we are looking to Protect... (fine lets accept this)

Is there not a better way like using a carrot and good old capitalistic methods..

If this was me, and I wanted this gun back for sentimental reasons.. First Bribe the Pawn shop.. Look heres a 50 bucks to get this note to the buyer... If you do there is another 200 in it for you..

If you reach the new owner.. Be prepared for making this a guy an offer he cannot refuse.. 2 new guns etc etc..

If this buyer can not be reached then there is a plan "B", There are ways you can make finding this gun the cause seleb of the state..

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The hard facts are you can choose your friends, but not most of your relatives.

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Like I said all I want to do is buy it back. Not make allot of waves. But if it's not the case, then ill just eventually forget about it. Anyways, I'm just posting in case someone notices it come up for sale or something. I'm more than willing to pay more for it than it's worth( monetarily, sentimental worth is far more.)

Thanks for all the tips.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If a serial number is listed and a generous price offered for that specific firearm: OP may get an opportunity for recovery. All a responder would need to do is send a pic of the serial # then work a deal.

Sent PM.

Strange things happen. I bought a P229 from a recently divorced woman. A year later, I'm talking guns and mention the "deal" on the P229.
    An acquaintance chimes in that his Ex wife got his (former duty pistol) in the divorce. He produced the correct serial # the next day and I sold it (back, lol) for what I paid (dirt cheap). His attachment outweighed my nice to have, no regrets.

Last edited:

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The OP says a family member pawned it. I personally would not file a police report of it being "missing under suspicious circumstances" because there's no suspicion as to who took it, and it's not really missing as they know where it went (pawn shop). You'd be treading on filing a False Police Report and could subject yourself to be arrested.
    The only recourse is to file it Stolen or to leave it (incident) alone and try to buy it back, if found. g/l

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You could be right in his case, but in my case I didn’t know who had taken my pistol. But I soon found out. I have had to buy back more than a few things from pawnshops over the years because they had bought them from known thieves , (in good faith) you’ll have to pardon me if I don’t trust folks that sell me my own stolen items.

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thanks to a fellow member, Im 99% sure I found it. Just have to see if they still have it for sale. If so, hopefully the selling member believes my story.

Top Bottom