• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I am asking about the housings and not the dot itself. For example Vortex makes the Crossfire and the Strikefire. Both are "1" power red dot sights so what would be the advantage of the larger and heavier Strikefire? I am just using Vortex as an example. There are many out there that represent both sides of my question

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    If you shoot with both eyes open does field of view come into play?

You "should" be shooting both eyes open to get the full benefit of the red dot. For red dots with lens covers, they still work with the front cover down(assuming you can still see the dot).... if you're shooting with 2 eyes open. A larger FOV(larger lens and/or less housing) helps your vis/SA but can be affected by mounting height/distance/location of the red dot. I see a lot more distortion through my RMR than I do my PRO. I like the PRO but it loses in size/weight in comparison to the RMR.

If you're in the market the aimpoint micro clones are popular and seem to hold up (holosun, vortex, sig etc)

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Different dot size is due to use, and often lower cost. For rifles I would not use one with a dot larger that 3 MOA, on a shotgun (non-slug) a 5 MOA dot would be fine.

I love my HoloSun solar red dots (3 to date). Still have not replaced the battery in the first one I bought several years ago. The latest two have 2 MOA dots with an option to also have a 60 MOA circle around the dot. I have gotten fond of that as it seems to help me acquire the target quicker.

Top Bottom