• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joey W

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looking to buy one for plinking and squirrel hunting. I fondled an a17 and it felt cheap. I liked the marlin 917vs but it may be a bit heavy for squirreling.
    I could go bolt or auto loader. What y’all got?

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have a 917VT and it might be a little heavy for squirreling...it could work. I had a heavy barrel Savage before that and the Marlin shot a little tighter for me so i let the Savage go. My buddy has the Savage Tactical looking one and I still think my Marlin shots better than his but it isn't a bad shooter either...straight murderous on squirrels for a propped position...either of them.

Here is a target from when I was sighting mine in. High round was from an ant biting me...couldn't stay focused :) sure messed that 5 shot group up. Think that is also 5 walking it in.
    .17HMR.JPG

Attachments

• .17HMR.JPG
      .17HMR.JPG
      29.5 KB · Views: 183
    Last edited:

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Agree about the "cheap" of some of the low priced .17's(mine). I bought the $200'ish Savage .17 a few years ago and put the BSA Sweet .17 scope on it and found that with practically no bullet drop from less than 100 yards, a scope with bullet drop compensation ability is unnecessary for taking a shot way over there in the woods. Wind deflection would be more a factor me thinks blowing that little 17gr bullet off course.

Very accurate.
    Had a little problem with magazine feed and discovered lips were bent inward from inserting full magazine with bolt closed.
    Bent lips back open and always insert magazine with bolt open and no more problems for me.
    Mikes outdoors have a great sale on .17's for Winchester and Hornady. Less than $10 a box.

In closing, I like mine and have busted two fox's and one coyote that were after my chickens with one shot about 100 steps each, and after examining resulting wounds, I'm guessing its a tinybit- littlemuch for squirrels with center mass shot.
    Your mileage may vary. :peace:

Last edited:

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you haven't looked at the 17 WSM, I'd check it out.... I have the "heavy" Marlin 17 HMR and have killed a ton of squirrels with it, I also bought the Savage 17 WSM and it is a lot lighter and can have it in HMR also. You wanna shoot both of em come on over and you can shoot both mine then decide fer yourself... I love em both!!!

Top Bottom