• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gas Port

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have to travel to Pensacola this weekend so any reports on the traffic on interstate 10 from Baton Rouge and Pensacola? Any gas shortages?

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have to travel to Pensacola this weekend so any reports on the traffic on interstate 10 from Baton Rouge and Pensacola? Any gas shortages?
    Someone like AAA would know what traffic is like since there may be some people returning to the hurricane smitten areas further east on I-10. I was briefly out this morning and early afternoon to shoot a pistol match, shop, and take a dog to the vet. I think local traffic was just sightly heavier than normal on us 29 in the Molino area and was about normal in Pace. Your major concern would be refugees returning home.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A recently built (to withstand Cat 4) 4 story indoor boat storage building on PCB collapsed. Don't know if there was a "Safe Storage" guarantee. Saw arial vid of Tyndall AFB. Extremely heavy damage to most buildings and hangars, could see some crushed non-tactical jets since roofs removed.

Daughter's house in St Andrews: blew a second story window w/frame in about 2 inches but didn't but the glass how that happen? Pressure? Lost a large section of shingles and a sheet of plywood peeld back but held on. Lot of water followed gravity and walls. Master BR ceiling walls and contents trashed. Water then went through the floor and did the same to the LR. Repairable and can be made habitable in a couple days.

Got a report from the friends temporarily staying at my place. All back yard trees and 6ft wood fences down. Rear patio awning gone. Trees laying against one side/roof but so dense they can't see sub damage to A/C Unit roof or ext walls. Est loss of 25% shingles but inside is bone dry with all glass/doors intact. Origional const 1985 roof: damn fine work fellas! We had planned to replace it this year when the weather cooled down, insurance will help pay that bill now. Jeep parked in the open took a cosmetic hit on a door, soft top survived intact. My place is 4 blocks north of the Gulf and 2 blocks south of the Bay. Zoning said it could handle 6-8 ft surge, i don't know how close it got.

Local Airports still closed for commercial flights/my carrier. If still closed Sat, I'm going to leave family here in Idaho and fly to Huston and rent a car one way if possible or bus in as close as I can get. Its stressing me out more being here doing nothing than getting things fixed back home.

I thank God for making out as well as we did and praying for those that are hard hit by the Storm.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    wildrider666; Local Airports still closed for commercial flights/my carrier. If still closed Sat said:
    Pensacola and Ft Walton airports were reopened. Don’t know if your carrier has flights into either
    Good Luck and safe journey back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Weather channel said this morning that 35% of gas stations in the Mobile/Pensacola are out of gas. I personally haven't seen and gas stations out in Baldwin County yet but I haven't been up by the interstate either.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you drive in the hurricane have an air pump and tire puncture repair tools-supplies in your car. I would carry an extra spare. Right now many of those areas are impassable. Bridges are often closed and roads may still be blocked. You will likely need to be sure your ID shows you own property in the area to avoid scrutiny from the police and even the locals.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here's a Link to aerial view of PC, PCB and surrounding areas. Dark areas are Satellite terrain that you can zoom in.

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/michael/index.html#10/30.1734/-85.8417

Our Flts on Sat were Canx, got a redirect to P'Cola Sun, keeping my fingers crossed.

First hand reports from Officers state looting is getting worse businesses AND homes, Night Shift Officer house was hit. Stripped all electronics, tried to remove/access his gun safe (it held), then just tore the hell out of the inside for fun.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Today we went shopping for relief supplies for the folks in and around Fountain, hope it helps a little bit. Neighbor went over to check on a family for relatives in TX, they were OK but had lost everything. Cannot go individually but some churches and those with FEMA passes are allowed to go into the area. They are certainly under served from PC and Mexico Beach

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I could tell yesterday from pictures on the internet , the looting would commence shortly..news said someone tried to steal a cop car, got killed for his effort...

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you drive in the hurricane have an air pump and tire puncture repair tools-supplies in your car. I would carry an extra spare.
    Living just off Hwy 90 I've been seeing convoys of power company trucks (PIKE, Coastal Electric, Gulf Power, etc...) heading east. I noticed in two of the convoys they had one of their trucks towing a trailer full of nothing but truck tires, no doubt a good idea if you want to remain self-sufficient.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I hate a thief, damn looters need to be shot and if they survive they should be locked up for life. Low life scum bags taking advantage of disasters to take for free what someone else worked for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Starting tomorrow, Publics is going to give a couple bags of ice and I think two gallons of water to those in need. I don't know what locations or if the stores are open but they are helping the communities. Some Churchs are also providing a meal. I think four Churches were totaled locally. I haven't heard (or researched) FEMA, Red Cross, or other common relief efforts.

The U.S. sendshundreds of millions in disaster relief aid World wide each year. Another major event in the U.S. and once again: silence. Once in awhile you hear of offers of assistance, most turned down for some odd reason.
    I do recall that some countries have sent specialized rescue teams and Saudi Arabia stepped up with $500M once.

Last edited:

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After working around the house all day I wanted a big greasy cheeseburger and greasy fries for supper. Had everything but the 'taters so I loaded up and went to the Publix here in Crestview and was astounded by the lack of produce. They were cleaned out. Produce man said the truck had left Jax at 0700 this morning and at 1900 tonight it still hadn't made it. Hoped to be here by 2300. Now I'm not bitchin' we had plenty to eat and folks to the East are in a bad way and need all they can get but it drove home to me that if the trucks stopped running for some reason, we'd be eating each other in a week.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After working around the house all day I wanted a big greasy cheeseburger and greasy fries for supper. Had everything but the 'taters so I loaded up and went to the Publix here in Crestview and was astounded by the lack of produce. They were cleaned out. Produce man said the truck had left Jax at 0700 this morning and at 1900 tonight it still hadn't made it. Hoped to be here by 2300. Now I'm not bitchin' we had plenty to eat and folks to the East are in a bad way and need all they can get but it drove home to me that if the trucks stopped running for some reason, we'd be eating each other in a week.
    I have seen people in the approach of snow storm up north getting ready to fight over the last milk jug at the supermarket and most did not have small kids. Most of us have a bit of food at home and can go I would hope for a few weeks with what is in the pantry. This is not true for all. I would assume one could even eat dog food kibble of which I never get down to less than 30 lbs. I also keep some canned fish and canned wet dog food on hand and all sorts of canned human food.
    Next year, I keep saying that, I plan to lay large stocks of survival food in Mylar, with oxygen removers, placed in sealed buckets. Everyone should have at least 3 months of food supply put away and that also includes for your dogs and maybe cats. I plan to put a lot more food into storage.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Cans of Vienna Sausage and sardines last forever and I love both.
    If you eat a bunch of them,the only long term effect that they will have on you is . . . you will get old and loose all your hair. --- SAWMAN

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

I have said for a long time, there is only 72 hrs of food in the pipeline.. due to jit(just in time) mentality of the big stores, no business keeps more than 3 days of product warehoused..

you want to see what a jungle, dog eat dog society looks like, just hit the replay button on katrina…
    chaos ensues quickly...

I could live easily for over a month on what I have stockpiled, lessons learned from life's teaching.
    I understand true desperation, if they had food put aside and lost it, but for the most part, they are thieving thugs who would be robbing others even in good times..

there are trucks with cargo on for family dollar, dollar general that could not unload cargo, the ceo's
    of those companies should donate all that for the afflicted by the storm. Disney is the only one I know of, has donated a million for hurricane victims...

usually budwiser cans water to send, have not seen that either...the media picks big cities, liberal run to focus on, they could give a crap less about the cracker panhandle, heavy military and conservative..

btw, where are the movie stars , singing stars, football stars that came to texas and raised money?
    willie nelson, where the hell is your dope smoking democrat endorsing old ass at?

on your bus, puffing a big spliff huh?

florida panhandle is deep red, maybe that's why.. we help others here, then ask for help, not demand help, and steal rob kill and burn when it doesn't come with the speed of light..

anyone see colin kapernick in PC?

no.. he was too busy accepting an award from Harvard for being such a puss that he can't stand for the natl anthem...

ask legend jim brown what he thinks of that...

shoot looters...or the law of the jungle will rule.

not on my watch.

*rant over

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Cans of Vienna Sausage and sardines last forever and I love both.
    If you eat a bunch of them,the only long term effect that they will have on you is . . . you will get old and loose all your hair. --- SAWMAN

if you and I were marooned on a desert island with only the above mentioned food, I will make a deal with you...

you take the Vienna's, I take the sardines...

if it were the other way around, I would starve...cause Vienna's make me gag.. although bourbon viennas are edible...

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If it came down to it, cats, dogs and other urban critters would be on the menu. Ate them before, common fare outside the U.S.

I wish the FL Gov would suspend noncommercial fishing license requirements in declared disaster Counties. I have my doubts someone fishing for subsistence would be ticketed at this stage.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm going to plug a emergency related and relatively cheap product. Due to the M, thousands of folks are without A/C power or a generator. And batteries only last so long. I've talked to folks who are running the vehicles just to charge a phone (or vap unit, Lol). Solar panals chargers have been around for awhile but this on will charge your phons and give you 150 lumens of 360°area lighting (or dimmer settings for longer life), @ $40+-. It is not tacticool: run it over with a 6X6 truck thing but it does work as advertised. Snicker at it now be amazed when you need it. Light weight, small and packs well. Bugout Bag or camping use too. I have two units.

https://luminaid.com/products/packlite-max-phone-charger

Top Bottom