• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • garryj

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Last week I bought a Remington 700 PCR (precision chassis rifle) which is Remington’s late entry (February 2018) into the affordable precision rifle market. I was going to get the Savage Ashbury, but the Remington was about $100 less, which meant I could use the savings to reload more ammo. The included test target was a very respectable .53” at 100 yards with 168gr match ammo. This was from their C.A.T.S. (Computer Aided Targeting System), not an actual holes-in-paper target. I won’t go into details about this system, but if you are interested, go to Remington’s website and look it up.

My first thought when I took it out of the box was, “Man, this thing is heavy.” According to the specs on the rifle, it weighs a hefty 10.5 lbs empty and even more now that I’ve added a scope, bipod, and muzzle brake. After fondling it for a while, I realized that the weak links on this gun were going to be the trigger and the magazine. The trigger pull out of the box measured 4.5lbs, but I was able to adjust it (using the instructions in the manual) to a satisfactory 2.8lbs. The magazine turned out to be a non-issue, much to my relief. Feeding wasn’t super slick, but it did its job.

From Remington:

Remington Model 700 PCR Features

Remington Chassis
    24” barrel with 5R rifling
    Threaded muzzle with protector
    Tactical bolt knob, for swift, positive cycling
    X-Mark Pro externally adjustable trigger
    Aluminum handguard with SquareDrop
    Picatinny rail
    5-round Magpul detachable magazine
    Adjustable Magpul PRS Gen 3 stock
    Magpul pistol grip
    3-shot sub-MOA assurance

Remington Model 700 PCR Specs

Mag. Capacity: 5
    Barrel Length: 24″
    Twist (Right Hand): 8 (10 for .308 Win)
    Overall Length: 44″
    Length of Pull: 13.25-15.25″
    Drop (Comb): .25 – 1″
    Drop (Heel):*.25 – 1.75″
    Barrel Material: Carbon Steel
    Barrel Finish: Matte Blue
    Stock Material: Polymer
    Stock Finish: Matte Black
    Average Weight: 10.5 lbs
    MSRP: $1,199

Big Green is offering 3 calibers: .308 Winchester (which is what I got); 6.5 Creedmoor; and 260 Remington. Note that the 3-shot sub-MOA is NOT a guarantee, but an assurance – big difference. Also, the going price for these on the web is $900 to $1099.

Range report to follow.

Garry

Attachments

• PCRR.JPG
      PCRR.JPG
      21.1 KB · Views: 798
    • PCRL.JPG
      PCRL.JPG
      22.9 KB · Views: 925
    • PCRMB.JPG
      PCRMB.JPG
      48 KB · Views: 487
    • PCRHG.JPG
      PCRHG.JPG
      32.3 KB · Views: 485
    • PCRSM.JPG
      PCRSM.JPG
      49.4 KB · Views: 601
    • PCRSPG.JPG
      PCRSPG.JPG
      39.9 KB · Views: 482

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Good goin' Garry, let us know how it shoots.
    Several things that stand out for me: 1. 24" bbl . . . GREAT !! Guns of this type deserve a longer bbl for velocity. This is what has kept me from buying a RPR so far. 2. 5R rifling . . 'nuff said. 3. 1:10 twist . . . better than 12. Not as good as 9.
    The 260Rem would get my interest . . ESPECIALLY if were 260AI. --- SAWMAN

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    isn't 5R in their other offerings 1:11.25?
    My .260s are 5R 1:8 and 5R 1:8.5. I think this is interesting too especially since some of the chassis I have been looking at lately are close to the cost of this entire rifle.

I see a couple of barricade stops. In these 2 pictures it looks like it has a straight lever in one and swept in the other...overall it looks easy to work with

garryj

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Unfortunately, the promised range report is going to be very late. I went to the range on Friday and just as I was getting my scope dialed in, the scope malfunctioned and I do not have a backup. The good news is that the scope has a lifetime warranty so, even though I've had it for six years and have no receipt, the company that makes it is going to either repair or replace it. I may try a scope off of one of my other guns, but the weather doesn’t look like it’s going to cooperate on the days I can get to the range.

Garry

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I really did not know that NcStar had a lifetime warrenty. ---- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Whatever tools you need to deliver a tiny group of holes into a target is the perfect setup for the individual.
    Back in 1978 or so I picked up a Win Mod70 XTR when home from "over there".
    When I went back overseas my flight stopped overnight in Lajes,Azores. I went over to the base exchange to kill some time and being a USAF facility,thet had guns and scopes.
    I picked up a Bushnell 4-12X40 scope with the little drums that you could change for elevation clicks. I believe that the scope was <$50. I put the scope on the 7mag but since the purpose for this gun was woodchucks and coyotes,I loaded a 115gr Speer HP at some blazing velocity.
    The scope was great. The clicks up were right on and it withstood the recoil of hundreds of rds over the years.
    Later on in life I started buying Leupolds. But they never served me any better than that old Bushnell. --- SAWMAN
    ADDED: Garry, I have an extra scope in my safe if you want to borrow it. It is a 3-9X Leupold.

Last edited:

garryj

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    ADDED: Garry, I have an extra scope in my safe if you want to borrow it. It is a 3-9X Leupold.

I appreciate the offer, but I've already put a scope from one of my other rifles on it. The problem now it the weather cooperating on days I can get to the range.

Garry

garryj

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Hurricane Michael and a bout of the flu will delay RR even more. Hopefully some time in the coming week.

Garry

Top Bottom