• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Searching around I found this. Very similar to this lower pistol in the pic.

https://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/SSs/sss.html

Many thanks, Beyond very nice.. I love those Sexy names that the 1800s gun manufactures placed on their guns... Terror, Swamp Angel..

They all went out of their way to Name their 32 caliber range "Remington No 2" clone revolvers.. and they had some cool names.. I was just at an auction today where they had 2 Hopkins & Allens revolvers and they were named "Ranger" & "Dictator". I almost got the Dictator... But I did not wish to spend money on them when bigger game was afoot..

By the way in the unblinking eye page you sent, the "Swamp Angel" gun was named after a street gang on the 1850s New York City waterfront. They stole from ships and hid in sewers which forced the police to come in after them. I guess today imagine a firearms manufacturer naming a gun after ms13 or the Crips or Bloods..

Last edited:

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You should have seen the guns that Charlie M. put on display at the ERGC club meeting tonight. To bad I did not think to take any pictures. It was a rather interesting collection of 96 mauser pistols including a factory cutaway of one of the first 9x19 mausers (serial number 6) that was being designed to supplement the Luger pistol for WWI. It was on a train that was evacuating the mauser museum during WWII that was captured by the Brits. While in a warehouse American officers raided it for I assume for souvenirs and Charlie was able to buy it a some years ago. I remember seeing it about 15 yrs ago when Charlie was showing us his collection. People were joking if mauser found out he had it they would be trying very hard to get it back. Charlie never sells, he only buys lol.
    At the end of current ERGC meetings rare guns are shown and so far they have all belonged to Charlie.

Kick ass story... thanks for sharing

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Many thanks, Beyond very nice.. I love those Sexy names that the 1800s gun manufactures placed on their guns... Terror, Swamp Angel..

They all went out of their way to Name their 32 caliber range "Remington No 2" clone revolvers.. and they had some cool names.. I was just at an auction today where they had 2 Hopkins & Allens revolvers and they were named "Ranger" & "Dictator". I almost got the Dictator... But I did not wish to spend money on them when bigger game was afoot..

By the way in the unblinking eye page you sent, the "Swamp Angel" gun was named after a street gang on the 1850s New York City waterfront. They stole from ships and hid in sewers which forced the police to come in after them. I guess today imagine a firearms manufacturer naming a gun after ms13 or the Crips or Bloods..

Some years ago I was working in a southeastern african country and I was driving back from the university to my flat. I saw smoke coming out of the sewers and a cop in a very heavy bullet resistant vest with a huge german shepherd. The dog and the vest I am sure was from the former east germany. I found out later that there were outlaws hiding in the combined storm and domestic sewer pipes that went out into the a bay that connected to the indian ocean.
    So sewers can be attractive to bandits. When I lived in the Chicago region people were always talking how the friends of so and so could put you into the sewer which legend said was a good place to dispose of murder victims. Being able to put you into the sewer meant you were connected to the syndicate supposedly. Syndicate meant the Chicago mob that were not the same as the Mafia.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Those P38's are some surprisingly good shooting little pistols....

s/f

Jamie

You know it would have a good design considering a version of it was made into the 1990s, a 60+ year run.. Does anyone know if Walther still manufactures them in small batches... ???

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Some years ago I was working in a southeastern african country and I was driving back from the university to my flat. I saw smoke coming out of the sewers and a cop in a very heavy bullet resistant vest with a huge german shepherd. The dog and the vest I am sure was from the former east germany. I found out later that there were outlaws hiding in the combined storm and domestic sewer pipes that went out into the a bay that connected to the indian ocean.
    So sewers can be attractive to bandits. When I lived in the Chicago region people were always talking how the friends of so and so could put you into the sewer which legend said was a good place to dispose of murder victims. Being able to put you into the sewer meant you were connected to the syndicate supposedly. Syndicate meant the Chicago mob that were not the same as the Mafia.

Good points, do not forget sewers in War time.. Both the Germans and Russians used the sewers of Stalingrad for movement..

Les not forget sewers of Literature.. Victor Hugo's Les Misérables .. Jean Valjean epic escape through the sewers of Paris.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good points, do not forget sewers in War time.. Both the Germans and Russians used the sewers of Stalingrad for movement..

Les not forget sewers of Literature.. Victor Hugo's Les Misérables .. Jean Valjean epic escape through the sewers of Paris.
    The survivors of the warsaw Jewish ghetto battle that numbered maybe 80 people were said to have fled through the sewers. Those of the later polish Warsaw upraising do not have any place to escape to as I understand it. The russians were nearby by, but did not save them. Not sure if there were able to or the centuries old hate between pole and russian was the reason. Both were and are Slavs, one catholic and the other orthodox christian with a lot of bad blood between over the centuries. The only thing they agree on was hatred for the Germans.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The survivors of the warsaw Jewish ghetto battle that numbered maybe 80 people were said to have fled through the sewers. Those of the later polish Warsaw upraising do not have any place to escape to as I understand it. The russians were nearby by, but did not save them. Not sure if there were able to or the centuries old hate between pole and russian was the reason. Both were and are Slavs, one catholic and the other orthodox christian with a lot of bad blood between over the centuries. The only thing they agree on was hatred for the Germans.

I have to ask FrommerStop.

Is your GCGF name related to this???

https://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/Frommer/frommer.html

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have to ask FrommerStop.

Is your GCGF name related to this???

https://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/Frommer/frommer.html

I do own such a gun. Paid $30 for it in gunshow on the north side of lake Pontchartrain back in the early 70's. I think it is neat and totally over designed even if the Hungarians used a plus P .32 ACP loading as some claim.
    It is always a pleasure to communicate with educated people.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do own such a gun. Paid $30 for it in gunshow on the north side of lake Pontchartrain back in the early 70's. I think it is neat and totally over designed even if the Hungarians used a plus P .32 ACP loading as some claim.
    It is always a pleasure to communicate with educated people.

Very nice... thus the board naming standard??? And not that I doubt you but a few photos would be nice :)... Oh Hell even if I doubted you a few photos would be nice... :) Seriously how does it shoot..??

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Very nice... thus the board naming standard??? And not that I doubt you but a few photos would be nice :)... Oh Hell even if I doubted you a few photos would be nice... :) Seriously how does it shoot..??
    It is buried or should I it is somewhere in my vault. I have not fired it in years. It functions with factory and reloads. It needs new springs in it and otherwise is good to go. I have several old guns stored away like it, but nothing like some of what you or my friend Charlie M have. Right now I am clearing land and need to repair and finish up my house I first started building in the 90's.
    The long recoil system at first glance one would think it would not work, but it does lol. Long recoil systems on small arms if one discount the browning automatic shotgun are not that common. The Rem model 8 and 81 rifle use such a system and I can not off the top of my head think of too many more were that were mass produced. The Frommer Stop was a military issued weapon in the Austrian Hungarian Empire of WWI.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In a year let us revisit this and if you are anywhere near me you can fire it if you want to.

Latest posts

Top Bottom