• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Olopez

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Is there anyone local that can put together an ak parts kit? Barrel is already headspaced so I would just need someone to put together and rivet it

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Is there anyone local that can put together an ak parts kit? Barrel is already headspaced so I would just need someone to put together and rivet it

Afraid I don't know anyone local - but if you can't find someone to do it for you, check out Toth Tools.

He makes AK building tools that don't require a press. If you only plan on building one kit, you can easily sell the tools off on the AK Files (or here).

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Doing the rivets correctly is the big issue.

For the hobbyist builder the AR system is so much easier. I will have look up how toth tools manages rivets without a press.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Doing the rivets correctly is the big issue.

For the hobbyist builder the AR system is so much easier. I will have look up how toth tools manages rivets without a press.

There is a specialized tool for the trigger guard and center support / rear trunnion rivets; the front trunnion is done with a special pair of bolt cutter jaws. The special tools utilize pressure from gradually torquing bolts, IIRC.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is a specialized tool for the trigger guard and center support / rear trunnion rivets; the front trunnion is done with a special pair of bolt cutter jaws. The special tools utilize pressure from gradually torquing bolts, IIRC.
    If you are only doing one gun, the cost of the tools for one time use is a lot. If you and some friends form an AK building group and go in on the tools together it financially makes more sense.

RumbleWepnz

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Drill and tap. Use button head allen screws. Looks great and will disassemble later if needed.

Remember to use loctite on the screws. I used red on the front trunion and blue everywhere else.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    If you are only doing one gun, the cost of the tools for one time use is a lot. If you and some friends form an AK building group and go in on the tools together it financially makes more sense.

It is expensive, I agree. Then again, the press tools are expensive as well... not to mention kits. AK building is definitely not what it used to be. Like I said though, you can always build and sell the tools if you don’t plan on building any more than one or two kits.

Also - say no to screw builds :D

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is expensive, I agree. Then again, the press tools are expensive as well... not to mention kits. AK building is definitely not what it used to be. Like I said though, you can always build and sell the tools if you don’t plan on building any more than one or two kits.

Also - say no to screw builds :D
    I was thinking of screw builds and mentioned it once. One of the AK smiths that use to hang around warrior talk forum explained why you do not want to use screws. The AK smiths do not hang there anymore and WT for a long time shut down the subforum on AKs when Gabe went to the AR.
    I have come to the conclusion that unless the goal is an untraceable gun, it does not make good sense to make your AKs except for the enjoyment of doing so. Much easier to finish an 80% AR receiver or simply pick up a finished one without paper work if that is your goal.

Last edited:

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If you can post a pic of what all you’re working with. Surplus kit thats cleaned up ready to build ? Do you have a receiver, Stamped , milled, flat, bent flat? If stamped kit Barrel will still need to be pressed back out to rivet front trunion even if it is supposedly head spaced . Quite a few variables to put one together and depends on how nice you want it to look when it’s finished.

Top Bottom