• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have some equipment that uses this type of fuse. Most of the pieces use the fuse on bottom which is the standard 1 1/4 X 1/4" fuse. But a couple use the fuse on the top, which is only 1 1/8" long.

I've searched high and low, can't find a 1 1/8" long fuse anywhere. Any electronics experts out there shed some light on this? Only other option is to cut the lighter plug ends off and replace them with ones that use the standard fuse, really would like to avoid cutting wire though.

Attachments

• fuse 003.JPG
      fuse 003.JPG
      99.4 KB · Views: 220

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    *disclaimer: I'm not an electrician.

Tried my google-fu for you, but I discovered that Amp rating drove much of it.
    Try searching for "glass tube fuse x.xA" (since I can't tell what Amps from the picture).

Lots of 6x30mm, or 6.3x30mm show up...
    If truly 1.125", then it's 28.575mm, but 1.25" is 31.75mm, so the nomenclature of 6x30 "=" 0.25" x 1.25" is probably more like a "2x4" is really 1.5x3.5

Now I'm curious, too.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If the rating is correct, they are interchangeable. However, it sounds like the application connector "contact point" is only touching the ends and not clipping around (U-shape) the sides.

I'm not a electriction or Tech either but I slept in a Motel 6 a few years ago. I don't have a clue what type or how delicate the insterments are.
    Fuse filaments don't care what road the Amps take, just how many Amps are passing through.

Long to short: solder a good fuse piggy back onto the bad one. Wrap fuses together with electrical tape and melt a drop of solder to fall between the metal contact points. You shouldn't need to pre-heat them . You would probably have a adequate connection with just the tape as its a low Amps and just needs steady contact. Application vibration may be a issue.

Short to long: As above or take a blown fuse, remove the tube, cut it from open end to base and slide it over the shorter correct amp fuse as an adapter to make the correct contact length.

This can get you running but if its a recurring issue changing out the clips/mounts is best since you may have to solder anyway.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Back in my military days these were called "BUS" fuses. As I remember this was due to the name of the manufacturer.
    Check closely with a magnifying glass. At either end it should be stamped on the metal. Along with the amperage.
    We got so that we could pretty much tell the amperage by the thickness of the small wire. If it is "blown" the wire will be separated in the middle. --- SAWMAN

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The size is determined by the voltage and the amp rating of the fuse. When I needed any size fuse I could count on any of the Electrical supply houses to have them. In Pensacola there is Appliance Parts ? about half way between Palafox and Fairfield on Pace. They seem to have everything also. The electrical supply places I am referring to are like All-Phase electric, Alston Electric, Mathis anyway those kind of places they all seem to be on Palafox just south of the Y at Pace and Palafox.

Last edited:

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Only writing on the fuse is 4A250V, they fit inside cigarette lighter plugs and using a standard length fuse will not allow the plunger to compress keeping good contact in the outlet, that is IF I can get the thing in there and closed.

Yep Bill, they are bussman fuses, I have a bunch of 1 1/4" ones, some of my equipment uses them. But 2 particular pieces use the shorter one.

So, I just ordered a bunch of 30mm fuses from hong kong. They are still a mm long but I figure I can shorten them with a hammer.

Thanks for the help guys.

Rick

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    can you replace some of the parts in the fuse holder so that it will accept the longer more standard fuse

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    can you replace some of the parts in the fuse holder so that it will accept the longer more standard fuse

No, hadn't thought about that but I'd probably cut the plugs off and solder new ones on that take the common fuse before I tried taking them apart. I think the 30mms I ordered should work, just need a few spares to keep on hand.

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Only writing on the fuse is 4A250V, they fit inside cigarette lighter plugs and using a standard length fuse will not allow the plunger to compress keeping good contact in the outlet, that is IF I can get the thing in there and closed.

Yep Bill, they are bussman fuses, I have a bunch of 1 1/4" ones, some of my equipment uses them. But 2 particular pieces use the shorter one.

So, I just ordered a bunch of 30mm fuses from hong kong. They are still a mm long but I figure I can shorten them with a hammer.

Thanks for the help guys.

Rick

Why is a 250 volt fuse in a cigarette lighter ? Is this in a car ? if so why isn't it a 12 volt fuse ?

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Why is a 250 volt fuse in a cigarette lighter ? Is this in a car ? if so why isn't it a 12 volt fuse ?

No idea, it's the fuse that came with the equipment. Some of the standard fuses are only 32V. One I need goes in a 12 to 18 volt converter for telescope power supply and the other runs a controller for Velcro mounted heater strips that keep dew off the telescope lens, guidescope, finderscope, ect.

BTW, how's my old Corvette doing?

Rick

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The car is in good hands. You would be proud to see him driving it around. He only drives it on special occasions (when he wants to show off) lol

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We still have one here (sorta) in Atmore, the nephew of the man that ran it is selling the old stock on Saturday mornings.

I think they killed the shacks by getting away from their core business which was electronic spare parts and messing with cell phones and other stuff like that.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The car is in good hands. You would be proud to see him driving it around. He only drives it on special occasions (when he wants to show off) lol

Glad he's enjoying it, especially at his age. I sure miss it, it had a certain "go kart" feel the newer one lacks. Seats much more comfortable too.

RH

Top Bottom