Patriot Mobile

is it illegal to barter with ammunition?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    i buy/sell car parts and tools on the side and sometimes ill offer up a trade for ammo if the buyer doesnt want to come off any cash. making a deal with some tools i have and the gentleman backed out of the deal because he found out its illegal.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    to my knowledge not at all. Although, I would follow the standards for owning a firearm, although you are not required with ammunition. I would do so for my personal satisfaction and ease of mind.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    A lot of folks I run into have the notion that it is illegal to sell ammunition, I am not sure where they hear it , but are quite convinced.
    although none could tell me why or how they came to think that, they just heard it somewhere.

RumbleWepnz

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is not illegal to sell or trade ammunition (factory) but it is illegal to manufacture ( handload) and sell or trade that ammunition.

To manufacture and sell ammunition you are required to have a federal license.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Personally . . . I would simply not sell,trade,or barther ammo with a KNOWN person under the age of 18. Someone that is VISIBLY impared by drugs or alcohol. A KNOWN convicted felon.
    Other than that . . . no problems. --- SAWMAN

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Personally . . . I would simply not sell,trade,or barther ammo with a KNOWN person under the age of 18. Someone that is VISIBLY impared by drugs or alcohol. A KNOWN convicted felon.

I think you left out a few qualifications - unless you have changed your policy.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Personally . . . I would simply not sell,trade,or barther ammo with a KNOWN person under the age of 18, a liberal or under 50 posts. Someone that is VISIBLY impared by drugs or alcohol. A KNOWN convicted felon.

There I fixed it for you

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Thanks gentlemen.
    Simple . . . . . I didn't want to start no shit. This forum has become fairly politically correct as of late. --- SAWMAN

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    The FBI should have already updated their 302's at every instance in their background function(that is the way it use to be), so it may be a moot point when then come in Monday and say here it is.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I reflect back a few years ago, during the Crazies: a whole bunch of people were re-selling (and gouging/profiting) ammo. The sellers I'm referencing were individuals not businesses. Odds are none of them were licensed. We saw the ads in locally and internet wide. I have not seen a single arrest for profiting from those ammo re-Sales (operating a restricted business without a Fed License). I'd be surprised if the majority of them made over a few hundred bucks.

Selling ammo you mfg/reload. This like the mfg ammo re-sale and firearms (used) would fall back on the frequency, quantity and for profit limitations the BATFE never clarifies and thats what causes the confusion. The only guy I know that got arrested for selling re-mfg ammo was the person/company that supplied the Las Vegas mass murder several thousand rounds including AP.

When we are selling a firearm and getting out of that caliber don't most folks offer the ammo as part of a package or sell it separately? When you reload a box or two for a friend and get reimbursed for your time/materials: thats breaking even and not for profit.

ALL AMMO that is re-sold carries a bit of liability as a individual seller/trader is a intermediary, if the ammo fails or KaBooms you and/or your firearm: crap reverse flows.

I'm currently have a rifle Pkg for Sale. I state the reloaded ammo is sold as "scrap". Scrap does have value.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    You think we should get the FBI to investigate? :bolt::bolt:

they knocked on my door 4 minutes after i posted this. told me the ammo was fine, but took all my "silencers" im probably going to get some time. lol

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    if the crap ever hits the fan, a few .223, .45 acp, 9mm, .308 7.62x?? rounds are gonna be a pretty powerful negotiation tool.....

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    if the crap ever hits the fan, a few .223, .45 acp, 9mm, .308 7.62x?? rounds are gonna be a pretty powerful negotiation tool.....
    I guess there will be some value to it, but there are so many people that now have tons of ammo. After getting enough weapons to protect yourself, invest in booze, cigarettes, and the other sinful commodities.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Use a bow with dynamite like them Good Old Duke boys ;)

Attachments

• Wannabe-01-General-Lee-3.jpg
      Wannabe-01-General-Lee-3.jpg
      89.6 KB · Views: 130
    • Wannabe-01-General-Lee-Bus.jpg
      Wannabe-01-General-Lee-Bus.jpg
      68 KB · Views: 125
    • subaru brat.jpg
      subaru brat.jpg
      72.9 KB · Views: 127
    Last edited:

bluedog46

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have never heard that it is unless you are in a really weird state like CA where you need a background check or permit to buy ammo. Also if you are selling to a known prohibited person or felon ( same thing many times)

Top Bottom