• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • olecarver

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a friend,, I know JJ Tom hads a friend wow,,,LoL ,, Na but my question is my friends wife is very petite. mabe 5 6 of 5 ft 7 ,,he bought a 9mm hipioint to get them started and learning home defence,,, Well HE has large hands and the hi point looks like a toy,, but she holds it and its a hand full,,, He shoots and gripping it with very large hands his groups are not so great, And even he admits,, the hi point may have not been a porper choice,, Now she,,,Even though it s like a boat anchor can keep 1inch to 3 inch groups at 12 to 15 yrds, But doesn't care for the extra hand full. I know there will be many choices and opinions ,,But that is what I open this post for, SO Thanks on any advise for the couples new adventure of being responsible gun owns, Thanks olecarver

bowfreak

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    I have a 75b and a glock 35 which is close to the same grip size as well as numerous other pistols they are welcome to try if they want

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good on your friends to jointly enter the world of recreational and defensive firearms. And exercising their rights responsibly!!

Anyhow a recommendation to pass on could be a used S&WM&P9 for striker fired options as well as a used G19 or G17 Gen 4 for another striker option.

Any of those quick recommendations would get them a nice duty sized high capacity pistol in 9mm for around $350-450 bucks. Then they have adjustable backstrap options for the differences in the sizes of their hands. M&P and Glock make some nice very reliable and accurate pistols for their purposes.

That way they also are learning how to employ a pistol one way instead of dealing with decokers, safeties, DA/SA pulls etc.

Once they are happy and comfortable with having a pistol around and comfortable using it a while, a whole other thread can be started as to their first CCW.

Just my opinion on it. Cheers.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Has she had a ccw class. If so, if it was a good class and inst. this should have been address In the class, Now it is a catch up , I use about 15 different firearms in a class just to address this. So they need to back up and start over. Now I know I going to catch hell for this , really a Hi-point She ====== Just my 5 cents jj 850-572-6611 call

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    103   0   0
    Are your friends able to wear each others shoes? Like shoes a gun needs to fit the user to realize full and safe function. Their life or an innocent life may depend on it. This may not be the time for a one size fits all approach. Maybe they might need one to fit his huge hands properly and another to fit her smaller hands properly. Like Red I applaud their choice to exercise their 2 A freedom. "Good on your friends to jointly enter the world of recreational and defensive firearms." There's nothing new here or a conclusion they wouldn't come to on their own eventually, just my opinion.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Super plus for BluesBrother's above ^^^^^.
    First . . . they need to be armed with knowledge. I see/hear people quite often looking for a "gun" without knowing the difference between a pistol and a revolver. Read up . . Study up . . arm yourself with at least enough knowledge to start out asking the right questions.
    I would suggest that they take the CCW course that jj offers. ---- SAWMAN

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    #1. Have them book a JJ class ASAP

#2. AFter the class have EACH of them pick a gun that fits and shoots well for them, they will not find a handgun that is one size fits all

#3. Practice, practice, practice

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For the hipoint at least not too much money was spent and one can sell it to an individual. For woman and any new shooters the trigger on the hipoint is usually heavy and the slide may hard to pull back. For a petite woman that I assume has small hands perhaps a single column glock in .380 might be a good choice. The moment someone mentions .380 many here will say no. a women that can handle a .380 is a lot more deadly than one that can not do the same with a double column 9mm. Do the classes and also do some shooting with it are my recommendations.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In spite of the bad fit, both can hit with the HP (the majority of home defense is close quarters) its not a total loss. You can't buy a smaller grip but you can buy a grip sleeve to increase its size. A ued HPs value is crap so keep it as a night stand gun or backup. Wife and I have our own (2) bump in the night handguns. It doesn't make sense to have a need to check something out take the only gun and leave you Wife defenseless.

I agree with prior comments for seperate handguns due to the large difference in hand size. SHE needs to know before she buys that the HP (brick on a stick) is very heavy verses caliber. If she buys lighter weight handgun in the same caliber: perceived recoil will increase with few design exceptions. Materials and design can offset that and some Mfgs have come out with low slide racking tension and enhanced recoil reduction pistols.

At this stage of their firearms experience, it may be prudent to standardize with a single caliber. Several Mfgs offer interchangeable backstraps. If she can comfortable use the smallest and he the largest: they have a winner. Not that they should swap parts all the time, buy two and have magazine/ammo commonality.

I think we have all seen grip reductions that made the pistols look anemic and may well reduce the structural integrity of the firearms. It remains an option if an adequate minimal grip is not available for a handgun that fits him and they desire commonality.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a friend,, I know JJ Tom hads a friend wow,,,LoL ,, Na but my question is my friends wife is very petite. mabe 5 6 of 5 ft 7 ,,he bought a 9mm hipioint to get them started and learning home defence,,, Well HE has large hands and the hi point looks like a toy,, but she holds it and its a hand full,,, He shoots and gripping it with very large hands his groups are not so great, And even he admits,, the hi point may have not been a porper choice,, Now she,,,Even though it s like a boat anchor can keep 1inch to 3 inch groups at 12 to 15 yrds, But doesn't care for the extra hand full. I know there will be many choices and opinions ,,But that is what I open this post for, SO Thanks on any advise for the couples new adventure of being responsible gun owns, Thanks olecarver

I'd simply take them to the HWY 29 range, let her pick out a gun or two
    to rent, have her shoot them, and see how it goes.

One size does not fit all.
    In fact, my Wifey surprised me with her first pistol choice...
    I let her shoot all of mine (that took awhile :D) and then the
    next weekend there was a Gun Show, took her to it and told her
    to pick out one she liked. She did, and was Very Happy :)

Then when a Pink one showed up at a local pawn shop,
    bought her that one, thinking she'd do something else with the
    original...nope, she kept the Original as a Dirty Day gun,
    with the Pink one as a Primary BBQ & Show-Off To The Other Gals piece.
    When she talks a gal into going to the range with her, she takes both
    of them and shows why it's good to have two of the same!!
    And sometimes she just sez, "Honey, get your Case O' Pistols",
    when she wants to give someone a lot of selection to see what they like.

But I know which one they gravitate towards 9 times outta 10 ;)
    S%26W M%26P 22 Hello Kitty.jpg

Attachments

• S%26W M%26P 22 Hello Kitty.jpg
      S%26W M%26P 22 Hello Kitty.jpg
      36.2 KB · Views: 161

Mic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tell her to look also at the Kahr line of pistols. Good quality and excellent value. Single stack, great trigger. I have 3 of them as well as Glocks and Springfields and the Kahrs are very comparable.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IMO - - -> I would NEVER (EVER !!) allow a gun that looks like a toy into my house . . . ESPECIALLY if there were children present. --- SAWMAN

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    IMO - - -> I would NEVER (EVER !!) allow a gun that looks like a toy into my house . . . ESPECIALLY if there were children present. --- SAWMAN

This’ll go over like a led ballon,

But one could always just teach children that guns, regardless of their color or intention, are not toys.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Some years ago I read through some police reports of minors getting ahold of guns in their home,relatives homes,and their friends homes.
    The stats were quite high of the minors looking for,finding,and playing with pistols that looked like toys.
    Nowadays with all the hot pink,lime green,red,blue,and other,colored guns,it might be as big of a problem.
    And remember,with the lime green,guns,ammo boxes,hats,t-shirts,etc,etc,associated with the Zombie stuff,to some smaller children all this could be a game.
    Parents and grand parents can surely do what they want . . . but I figure it this way . . . it is hard enough to keep guns away from small children as it is. Especially with a big percentage of the children being raised as snowflakes. Why not do something as simple as not having a purple,lime green or hot pink firearm in your house.
    Makes perfect sense to me. But to you . . ?? . . maybe not so much. ---- SAWMAN

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Why not do something as simple as lock firearms in a safe. You say it's hard to keep firearms away from small children, I disagree. My children have never had the opportunity to pickup a loose loaded firearm in my house. The only time my boys have access to firearms that are loaded is when I allow them to. It's pretty simple, not that difficult at all IMO.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I really do not know how many children get killed every year by playing with firearms.
    If all parents were as great a parent as you are,the number would be zero. If it were "pretty simple" why does it happen XX amount of times per year ?? I say . . . pretty simple for some parents that are somewhat intelligent and have an ample dose of common sense. For others . . . ??
    Ask them . . . are you a good parent ?? Are all your guns locked up so that there is no access to a child. Yes,hell yeah !! Then why does it happen ?? ---- SAWMAN

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You do both: supervise the kids and properly control and/or secure your firearms. A simple statement but it takes vigilance 100% of the time. The people that owned the firearms that got into kids hands did not. Lets saybest case: a young kid has had the "see, don't touch, tell an adult class" and sees a gun painted in bright toy colors, like water pistols or 1/2 dozen in the toy isle at the big box store? Will they know its real? Yes, we're all responsible here but guns get tossed from cars, left in restrooms, chairs and even "secretly hidden" at other peoples houses. I don't know if the "Class" instructs them to do the same even if the think it might be a toy gun? IMHO, "some" paint/finish colors could contribute to mis-identification. Opposite end is painting the muzzle orange on real guns, thats just stupid.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I am not saying that the color of your gun will kill your kid. I am not trying to tell you what to do in your own home with your kids or grandkids.
    I simply can not understand why someone would allow a Hello Kitty,Barnie,Tickle Me Elmo,etc,etc,painted firearm into their home ?? If a child gets killed by an evil black Glock that is sad. If a child gets killed by a lime green zombie apocalypse gun loaded with lime green zombie killer bullets . . ? . . how sad is that.
    Lock that pink gun up. Hide it in the one place that you are "sure" that your kid does not know about. It can't happen to you. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom