• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Don357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm not asking to get flamed because I didn't buy scope X, scope Y, or scope Z. I'm just trying to figure out a solution (if there is one) for a parallax problem with a 2-6x28 compact tactical (name not withstanding) scope.
    I laser bore sighted the scope at 100yds on 3x. As I rolled the magnification up to 6x, the laser dot seemed to move to the left. I know, actually the crosshairs moved to the right. As I rolled the magnification down, everything came back into line.
    I have read several articles on parallax that I think inferred that the scope could possibly be out of line in the mounts or the actual lenses could be out of line. They also said that with "high magnification" scopes, the Parallax problem could also appear as being out of focus. This is not the case for me. My problem is windage drift.
    Dose anyone have any useful input, or suggestions. I had thought about zeroing it on 6x at 100yds and leave it there. The rifle is a 5.56 AR-15 intended for home defense (the intended purpose of 2x) and close range hunting.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The following IS NOT a "flame" because of the money AND quality of the scope that you purchased.
    BUT - - -> two very important things come to mind.
    #1. If your proposed purpose for this scope is close range hunting and ESPECIALLY home defense,I would suggest that a buyer should never take the cheap route. If a scope is to be used for home defense you should spend the money to be assured that it will be up to the task. The person that is having problems with a "home defense" optic like what you described should throw said optic in the shitcan and start over. Personally . . . I would not even use it for close range hunting.
    #2. If a person pays $120. for a scope,they are most likely getting $120. worth of scope.
    If you feel that this is a "flame" then I sincerely apologize for any hurt feelings and would ask . . . what kind of help did you expect ?? ---- SAWMAN

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    if you spent a million dollars on the scope and it shifts zero on magnification you would still have an problem..it shouldn't do that.

since you may change scopes...from the description of its intended use I may consider something on the 1-4X so that you could use the optic better at close ranges. On 1X you can leave both eyes open and it would be easier for CQ target acquisition..$.02

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    IDK, could be 1 of 3 problems. 1st thing came to my mind was you turned the windage opposed to the elevation knob. 2nd, you aren't maintaining the same sight posture, meaning your head is canted further one way than it was when you first sighted it, and 3rd, your scope is bad/broken.

But for home defense I'd go with a red dot scope. g/l

bowfreak

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    IDK, could be 1 of 3 problems. 1st thing came to my mind was you turned the windage opposed to the elevation knob. 2nd, you aren't maintaining the same sight posture, meaning your head is canted further one way than it was when you first sighted it, and 3rd, your scope is bad/broken.

But for home defense I'd go with a red dot scope. g/l

Seems like pretty solid advice to me.
    You could also check out of War text Strike Eagle 1 to 6 on one power it's the same as a red. Because it has an illuminated reticle but it goes all the way up to six power you can find them used for about $260 with a mount if you shop around.
    I have one here if you'd like to check one out just let me know

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The "recoil" of an AR-15 in 5.56 shouldn't batter a scope to death.

I say shoot it. 5-shot groups at each magnification. Take your time.
    Then compare what is happening. Are they close, way-off, in a line, in an arc...
    Zero it for the "2x" group.

Then do a "box test" and see what you have going on.

If your rings/base have you at the edge of your turret range, you may be pushing the limits of the adjustments...
    Let us know how it goes.

Don357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK, I now officially have a 2-6x28 tactical paperweight on my desk. I spent about an hour or so playing with the scope, and determined without a doubt that it is faulty. I put the rifle in vice, lined up everything just right at a 25yd target, boresighted at 2x, rolled up the magnification, and the poi moved 2 mil dots to the right. Did the same thing at 6x, rolled down the magnification, and the poi moved 2 mil dots to the left. Oh well, I'll just have to save up and get another low power compact scope.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    It 's called "tracking".
    The scope manufacturer's take random samples off the shelf and do the same basic procedure.
    With the scope locked in a completely stationary position,and the scope zero'ed,30 clicks up,30 clicks right,30 clicks down,30 clicks left. Scope should be back to perfect zero.
    I have done this with several different scopes. Would reccomend you not do this unless you are prepared to be extremely happy . . . or . . . extremely sad. Even with some of the mid- high dollar scopes. --- SAWMAN
    ADDED: One scope that we did this to was off more than 2 feet at 50yds. The scope cost over $400 back in 1998. OUCH !!

Last edited:

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    OK, I now officially have a 2-6x28 tactical paperweight on my desk. I spent about an hour or so playing with the scope, and determined without a doubt that it is faulty. I put the rifle in vice, lined up everything just right at a 25yd target, boresighted at 2x, rolled up the magnification, and the poi moved 2 mil dots to the right. Did the same thing at 6x, rolled down the magnification, and the poi moved 2 mil dots to the left. Oh well, I'll just have to save up and get another low power compact scope.

At 25-yards, two mils is 1.8 inches. If your scope is beyond warranty repair considerations, you might still be able to use it as a "fixed magnification" setup... on a rifle that you aren't making Life/Death decisions.

Personally, if you're already stuck with it, I'd zero it at the most likely magnification, and then do a box test with those turrets. Might surprise you... and if not, it's good practice. If the thing won't even hold zero, make IT your next target and get it out of circulation.

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I’m not saying my input is much help so take it as a grain of sand. But since I’ve joined this page I’ve had two scope problems and both times SawMan has helped me greatly. Knowledge is a powerful thing but he is Thor to me.

Top Bottom