• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • garryj

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I went to the range this morning to try out some new loads for my Henry Big Boy Steel in .357 Magnum. They were not as good as I had hoped, but they were still acceptable. The first load I tried was one that had proven very good at 25 yards and did quiet well at 50 yards. The load was 5.5gr W231 with a 125gr Berry’s plated bullet. The other load I tested was 6.2gr W231 with a 125gr Speer TMJ bullet. And just for fun, I broke out my Auto Ordnance M1 carbine and tried some 50 yard offhand shooting. My standard load is 14gr W296 with a Speer 110gr TMJ. I didn’t do to bad for a shakey 64 year old. This gun always brings a smile to my face when I shoot it. I just hate cleaning it.

The top target is the Berry’s plated load(20 rounds)and the bottom three are the Speer TMJ load(10 rounds each). The two silhouette targets are both the M1 Carbine(15 rounds each). For some reason this is the only order the pictures would upload.

I was going to try the Henry at 100 yards, but the heat just got to me and I had to quit. Maybe later when the weather cools down.

Garry

Attachments

• berry's.JPG
      berry's.JPG
      73.1 KB · Views: 113
    • speer tmj1.JPG
      speer tmj1.JPG
      89.1 KB · Views: 116
    • speer tmj2.JPG
      speer tmj2.JPG
      89.8 KB · Views: 112
    • speer tmj3.JPG
      speer tmj3.JPG
      103.4 KB · Views: 110
    • m1 carbine1.JPG
      m1 carbine1.JPG
      88.2 KB · Views: 119
    • m1 carbine2.JPG
      m1 carbine2.JPG
      88.5 KB · Views: 122

olecarver

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Smile ole friend, Dr has not banned me not to yet,,But my cervical just isn't holding up to the shock wave of my long guns, From thsee targets you have found a sweet spot reloading for the Big Boy 357 mag ,, I will be the first to say nice shooting. Just my 1/2 cent olecarver

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nice shooting...dont know about most on this forum but the majority of my shooting is at steel targets these days, but when I do shoot paper...love those hi visibility paper targets!

Top Bottom