• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Swung by the store on North Davis after dropping wife off at church and they had them in stock at that price. Only two on shelve, but I asked the counterman and he said they had plenty of them.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    While I am not wealthy, I can come up more than 100 dollars for ammo. But real advantage you mention is that it can be easily carried. Another advantage is that the report from a rifle is minimal.
    Fact is at my age and with some back problems is that I am not going anywhere far. If I plan to live off the land, traps would be the main meat getter.

That's precisely why Bosnian/Croats/etc used .22lr carbines as their primary sniper weapon.
    Balloon & Coca-cola bottle supressors made them even quieter.

heck, lots of folks don't even know why so many .22lr's were made at 20+ inches...
    to get the Hi-Velo ammo to be just below Subsonic for accuracy,
    with the added benefit of being Subsonic for less sound...

People discount .22lr, but it actually kills more than any other caliber.
    mostly on accident, but there are still thousands being finalized by it worldwide.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's precisely why Bosnian/Croats/etc used .22lr carbines as their primary sniper weapon.
    Balloon & Coca-cola bottle supressors made them even quieter.

heck, lots of folks don't even know why so many .22lr's were made at 20+ inches...
    to get the Hi-Velo ammo to be just below Subsonic for accuracy,

with the added benefit of being Subsonic for less sound...

People discount .22lr, but it actually kills more than any other caliber.
    mostly on accident, but there are still thousands being finalized by it worldwide.
    I do not fully understand your 20 plus inch barrel statement. But I do know with a 24 inch barrel the quieter .22 subsonic loads are even less noisy since the quick burning powder even has a little longer to burn. I think the longer barrels were there because americans wanted the longer sight radius and people were accustomed to longer barrels at one time. Also if a tube mag is used the magazine capacity goes up.
    At one time CZ did offer a 30 inch barrel on their cz452 and I thing noise reduction was likely why.

Here is one with: CZ Model 452 .22 LR, new in box, Ultra Lux, 28.5-inch barrel
    wm_7670569.jpg https://www.gunsamerica.com/962224406/CZ-Model-452-22-LR-new-in-box-Ultra-Lux-28-5-inch-barre.htm

Attachments

• wm_7670569.jpg
      wm_7670569.jpg
      173.5 KB · Views: 170

m4a1sof

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    +1 for .22 being quiet. I form 1nd this Ruger. I ported the barrel, wrapped it with a sheet of aluminum air filter element, and then slipped an aluminum tube over it. I ported it so I could use regular high velocity ammo and it would reduce it to subsonic. I have several suppressed guns but this one is by far the quietest, I would even go so far as to say it is Hollywood quiet:

Attachments

• Ruger.jpg
      Ruger.jpg
      635.8 KB · Views: 117

DaBreeze

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm still well stocked with .22LR I bought around 94. Fed/AE hv for .018 per round. Thats why I don't get excited at .04. I really curtailed shooting .22LR during the last crazy period. It was high priced due to demand and limited production. Since then some Mfgs have increased production capabilitie but claim material costs are the reason its still higher then the decades old .01 to .02 per round. I will be restocked prior to the 2020 election cycle.

Considering compounded interest and inflation for 24 years Im guessing you have better than $.06 a round those 1994 bulits ! I know Smart A$$ :blabla:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Considering compounded interest and inflation for 24 years Im guessing you have better than $.06 a round those 1994 bulits ! I know Smart A$$ :blabla:

Who says you can't make Gold from Lead? During the last period of craziness my $9 box was actually selling near $100. I have no regrets on keeping the stockpile. Lol

Top Bottom