• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can not think of a way currently to legally force people to breed better dogs. It used to be a typical family had a problem dog they buried it back of the barn.
    Pitbulls that were fought had to be manageable during a fight so they could be pulled apart. What back yard breeders are turning out are often not good dogs. A fighting pit bull was seldom up to 60 lbs and usually a bit smaller. That is the first indication when a 'pitbull' is plus 60lbs is that you have something that is suspect. For myself I would not own one myself and prefer more laid back dogs with essentially a higher threshold to their on-switch and also the ability to turn if off once things are good.
    I am also very careful about locking my gate and keeping it locked. when ever I unlock it i put a key chain from the lock and put it on my finger. If that is around my finger after walking away I know I must go back to that gate and check that it is locked and put the key chain back through the lock. Log out tag out sort of in function.

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm a dog lover and have always had a house dog of some breed or another. Dogs are domesticated animals but their basic instincts remain underneath whatever level of domestication, breeding and training they evolve from. Dogs will respond to a situation/stimulus according to the stronger impulse: comply with training or instinctive drive. How you train and socialize them (or not) and the effectiveness and reinforcement of that will reflect show in the dogs behavior. Ultimately, their actions while unsupervised/uncontrolled tell the truth about dominate behavior. It is the owners responsipility to control their anmials.

My dog is great "but": it hates cats, is not child friendly, don't touch him when he's eating, kills every wild critter that comes in the yard (job exception), hates the mail man, blows a fuse and charges the door, escapes the house/yard at every opportunity, destroys stuff in the house, the fuzzball is just "a little nippy. The owner allows those behaviors. Too often, it is only the dog that pays the price when the behavior leads to a significant incident.

Some breeds do have stronger predator - pray - other drives but owners socialization/control or lack of it are responsible for the end product. There are an abundance of people who have no business owning a dog. IMHO

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This may be upsetting for some. This is about an early breeder of pit bulls

Joe Mallen interview about the early Staffords

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    more children are bitten by Labs than any other breed
    I personally have been bitten by Schnauzers more than any other breed
    the only thing that makes a Pit different than most dogs is bite strength
    If 2 Vizsla had enough drive to escape their confines there.. they very well could have done the same thing
    The same thing could have taken place with Jack Russels...I have seen one shake an Opossum dead

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    more children are bitten by Labs than any other breed
    I personally have been bitten by Schnauzers more than any other breed
    the only thing that makes a Pit different than most dogs is bite strength
    If 2 Vizsla had enough drive to escape their confines there.. they very well could have done the same thing
    The same thing could have taken place with Jack Russels...I have seen one shake an Opossum dead

Pits have extremely strong drive. They were originally bred for gameness. The original use for this word relative to pit fighting in past centuries was likely betting. In more modern times in the USA it meant that a pitbull would not stop fighting, even when losing. Pitbulls overall were bred to be super dogs. They are strong, quite trainable, loyal, and have many positive traits.
    At one time they were considered to be a great companion dog for a boy such as petey, the pit on the little rascals.
    Biting power, None of my white english dogs are inferior to any pit in biting power and same is true of american bulldogs and alapaha blue blood bulldogs and also many other bully-mastiff breeds.
    Biting force is a function of the amount of muscle and also jaw leverage. Relative to the wound the nature of the teeth are important. IMHO northern wolves have a most fearsome bite. Big teeth, wide cheek bones for muscle attachment and no under bite.
    Canines that kill for their living do not have the typical bulldog underbite.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    this is tragic for fl57caveman and his family

it didn't happen because they were Pit or Pit Mix...granted they are game or high drive dogs...it is the human factor that is to blame for this.
    I guarantee if my BMC or my Catahuola were there and they got into the cat cage the same thing would have happened...I'm sure my Pit would have too. I felt no need to socialize them with cats...not the dogs fault....guess they are black guns too.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    this is tragic for fl57caveman and his family

it didn't happen because they were Pit or Pit Mix...granted they are game or high drive dogs...it is the human factor that is to blame for this.
    I guarantee if my BMC or my Catahuola were there and they got into the cat cage the same thing would have happened...I'm sure my Pit would have too. I felt no need to socialize them with cats...not the dogs fault....guess they are black guns too.
    I agree for sure about old time catahoulas for sure. I do not know BMC that well except people speak of highly of them. The cur dogs like the catahoula and BMC were bred not for looks, but for type. That implies they were bred to fulfill specific tasks. The catahoulas in many areas were bred to be hunting dogs and also to protect the homestead. They had a reputation of being very smart also. Often hunters would cross bulldog types to catahoula to get dogs with the qualities of both.
    The dogs had to earn their keep and were often killed outright if they did not. Not done much now days and you can go to jail for killing your own dog. I have known people to take a dangerous dog to the county animal shelter to get it put down when at one time they would have done it themselves. The case I am thinking about was a dog that was badly abused and the breeder took it back and sadly after it was observed to growl at a child, to have it put down.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Legislators should be looking at new laws that deal with the more agressive breeds of dogs.

You mean like they should legislate against more lethal guns like AR15s?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dogs are selectively bred for certain instincts, tendencies and characteristics.

Guns are inanimate objects. Tools, like a hammer, no better or worse than the man wielding it.
    Guns are built and marketed to appeal to a certain crowd that is bred for certain instincts, tendencies and characteristics. Just saying.....

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Guns are built and marketed to appeal to a certain crowd that is bred for certain instincts, tendencies and characteristics. Just saying.....

It is not at all uncommon for someone that runs pitbulls or some type of huge ban dog to get on our white english face book page and tell us in the most belligerent ignorant manner how our dogs can not possibly be worth while or kill something. It seems that aggressive people do try to find dogs that they think are aggressive. The female dog that most of our small line of dogs is based on killed two pitbull dogs when some pit fighters had her then they filed of her teeth so she could not do that again. She got rescued when the police raided them.
    The ideal dog is a capable gentleman killer. Protective of the house hold and does only what needs to be done.

Yes many belligerent people do gravitate to aggressive dogs and semiauto guns with long magazines. but then so do I and so the analogy does not hold.

Dixie: Carr White English

Attachments

• 9687211.jpg
      9687211.jpg
      13.4 KB · Views: 108

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is not at all uncommon for someone that runs pitbulls or some type of huge ban dog to get on our white english face book page and tell us in the most belligerent ignorant manner how our dogs can not possibly be worth while or kill something. It seems that aggressive people do try to find dogs that they think are aggressive. The female dog that most of our small line of dogs is based on killed two pitbull dogs when some pit fighters had her then they filed of her teeth so she could not do that again. She got rescued when the police raided them.
    The ideal dog is a capable gentleman killer. Protective of the house hold and does only what needs to be done.

Yes many belligerent people do gravitate to aggressive dogs and semiauto guns with long magazines. but then so do I and so the analogy does not hold.

Dixie: Carr White English
    The analogy holds and.was also filled with a lot of sarcasm.
    People want to legislate and ban what they don't like, understand, or agree with and get pissed when others want to legislate and ban whatever their "thing" is.
    Here is an idea how about we hold people responsible for their actions and the actions of their property.
    Bans of all types have been proven over and over to be ineffective as a deterrent.

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I don't know about accurate, but it's funny.
    I don't care what kind of dogs people get as long as they aren't shitty owners.
    True. I think it’s the blatant denial that annoys me. Reminds me of triggered liberals. Haha!

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    True. I think it’s the blatant denial that annoys me. Reminds me of triggered liberals. Haha!
    Yep I've got a Pit/Black Mouth Cur. Curs are very dog aggressive on their property so I don't let other people bring their dogs over.. It doesn't make him a bad dog, but I recognize that he'll kill another dog that's in his yard. Goofy thing loves cats though. He has his own cat that he's taken care of for 5 years.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep I've got a Pit/Black Mouth Cur. Curs are very dog aggressive on their property so I don't let other people bring their dogs over.. It doesn't make him a bad dog, but I recognize that he'll kill another dog that's in his yard. Goofy thing loves cats though. He has his own cat that he's taken care of for 5 years.

Sounds like a very good dog. When I had just two females i put them on a lease and walked out the mail box and when I went back in I locked the gate and instead of two dogs there were three dogs. A little male Chihuahua snuck in. I think he had been abandoned on my drive way. The two females found him, but did not attack him and when ordered left him alone. Normally they would be expected to kill a larger dog, but not this little fellow.
    But they did what that type of dog is expected to do and not kill without a good reason.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom