• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Champ62

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So sorry to hear about your loss. Pets are almost like our children. At least your pup is in dog heaven.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I’ll have to agree with my fellow Realtor..

Sorry to hear about your dog, but it sounds like a cultural issue more than anything. A culture you seem to be ok with.
    I have a hard time wrapping my head around the “Won’t involve the law” because they’re your neighbors. If there’s no report of the incident involving your dog, you may find yourself with the burden of proof should you ever have to prove your way out of a jail cell because the neighbors changed their mind after you kill their precious puppy, and deny ever giving your permission to do so, since it’s not in writing and all. Not that it would necessarily help.
    Good fences make good neighbors, and the efforts at fencing don’t sound very diligent.
    I’m not sure what the point of the thread is if you’re happy circumstances that created the situation that resulted in the loss of your dog, and supportive of the notion that everyone just let their dogs roam free like a pack of wolves. If you’re asking for sympathy, we offer condolences, it sucks to lose a pet. If you’re asking for advice, make a report with the law to cover your ass, though it may be too late. However, if you don’t like the advice because it goes against how “country” folk live, I’m not sure what else we can offer. I’m just not sure how well that holds up in court, that would be my top concern personally. Again, sorry, and best of luck.

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sad event but not the end of the story. Sooner or later the aggressive dogs will return to the hunting ground where they succeeded. Dogs (yours or neighbors) will do what instinct/training/experience (what ever motivation is stronger) triggers them when they are not under direct and positive control. Seems anybody can shoot any "at large" dog regardless of actual behavior, who else woud know different) yet no constraints on their travels are in place. I understand the country dog realm but offen Lassie doesn't come home for one reason or another.
    Obviously considerable acceptable risks and consequences. The only question here is do WE owe a our stay at home pets a level of protection or let the chips fall where they may? We care for them with food, shelter, Vet care and more but not their general location safety?
    I've lived in areas where the main roads into Town have signage stating "Dogs at large may be destroyed" and Refs the Ordinances that clarifies LE and citizens may take action! We protect what we value. A dog may be within that sphere of protection, part of it or left to chance.

All IMHO.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Who the hell lets their dogs run around in a non fenced yard days? It's 2018... smdh.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Whisky

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Who the hell lets their dogs run around in a non fenced yard days? It's 2018... smdh.

I do, but I choose not to live in Gulf Breeze. When you live in the country on multiple acres, you do what you want with your dog's.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Regardless of whether you live on 1/10th of an acre, or 100. Shouldn’t you have control over your own property, both land and animals? I’d think it to be a basic concept, right? A responsibility to other land owners to keep your animals on your own property and be responsible for what they do if they do get out, as well as a responsibility to your own animals to keep them protected from harm.

Last edited:

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Regardless of whether you live on 1/10th of an acre, or 100. Shouldn’t you have control over your own property, both land and animals? I’d think it to be a basic concept, right? A responsibility to other land owners to keep your animals on your own property and be responsible for what they do if they do get out, and a responsibility to your own animals to keep them protected from harm.
    You would think... but it's a cultural issue. Not to get off topic, but it's the same issue we have on the public WMAs, dog hunters can't keep their dogs where they are supposed to, and they justify it with lame ass excuses like "dogs can't read signs" and the like...

Just a lack of personal responsibility really.

Whisky

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Cows are the only thing behind a fence around here.

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tough to lose a pet. When dogs "pack up" they can get very aggressive. Had some area dogs make a visit to my back porch and killed one of our cats. My wife and daughter were home and we got 3 of them on a deer cam. The most aggressive is a female pit bull and she doesn't wander in a predictable manner and our paths have not crossed yet. I have never killed a domestic animal and those dogs will be my first and I won't lose a wink of sleep should they make another visit to my yard.

I know in different state, outside the city limits, you are in your rights to protect your property, pets and families and as such have a legal right to shoot said animal on your own property...I don't know about Alabama, but I bet it is the same in rural areas. Pit bulls seem like they are all the rage these days and they are an aggressive breed...bred for that behavior. Their jaws are made for biting and biting hard. I have no use for an aggressive dog like that but many like them and in the country, most dogs are not on a leash...so keep a firearm handy and know you may have to use it unfortunately....also, coyotes are a real possibility too. I know this, if I do have to dispatch an area dog, nobody will know it...just keep it to yourself.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have lived out here for 18 yrs, this is farm country/cow country/wooded, there are fences everywhere, but barbed wire and squared fences..i have 10 acres, not feasible for chainlink fencing...95 % of dogs north of Molino road, run loose, I guarantee

that also rules out electric yard fencing..not feasible...

the other dogs were up on shots...

they all were known to each other, and have never had this issue before, I think it is a mixture of
    being pitbull instincts and testosterone...none of them were full blooded pits, all mixtures, including my dogs have some amount of either pit, or red nose bulldog..

mine were neutered, at least one of the others was not...

there is no law against killing an animal attacking yours out here that I am aware of, LEO, feel free to chime in

not looking for sympathy, just venting...and maybe get a few points of view to ponder from you all..

I care a lot for my pets, and have spent hundreds to keep current on medical shots.., and I have tried to keep them in, but a 90lb dog goes over, or steps thru barbed wire when they want out.

I will try again to alter and add to the area they escape from this weekend...

but they want to be with me if I am outside , they are work/hunting dogs and follow me, even when I cut grass, they lay around watching.

I will not keep a dog chained up, it is cruel..and they can strangle or could not escape if other dogs or coyotes jumped the fence..

deer go thru fences too, and bust wires sometimes, there is always a gap they can go thru on..

everyone's property is fenced, but not chainlink, as the cost would be huge...

not seeking approval for what I may have to do, nor do I care if I get critiqued for it..

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Vent away.
    You could’ve received some advice from LEO if you had reported the incident, certainly much better than strangers on the internet. Just don’t turn out like this guy, or worse:
    https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/...ooting-neighbors-dog-when-it-came-in-his-yard
    This could be cheap insurance:
    5822c220a3a96f05b861ef69a848e375.jpg

“But Your Honor, he said I could shoot his dog,” probably wouldn’t hold up very well.
    And check this out:
    http://floridapolitics.com/archives/259841-florida-strengthens-animal-cruelty-laws
    Over and out.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have lived out here for 18 yrs, this is farm country/cow country/wooded, there are fences everywhere, but barbed wire and squared fences..i have 10 acres, not feasible for chainlink fencing...95 % of dogs north of Molino road, run loose, I guarantee

that also rules out electric yard fencing..not feasible...

the other dogs were up on shots...

they all were known to each other, and have never had this issue before, I think it is a mixture of
    being pitbull instincts and testosterone...none of them were full blooded pits, all mixtures, including my dogs have some amount of either pit, or red nose bulldog..

mine were neutered, at least one of the others was not...

there is no law against killing an animal attacking yours out here that I am aware of, LEO, feel free to chime in

not looking for sympathy, just venting...and maybe get a few points of view to ponder from you all..

I care a lot for my pets, and have spent hundreds to keep current on medical shots.., and I have tried to keep them in, but a 90lb dog goes over, or steps thru barbed wire when they want out.

I will try again to alter and add to the area they escape from this weekend...

but they want to be with me if I am outside , they are work/hunting dogs and follow me, even when I cut grass, they lay around watching.

I will not keep a dog chained up, it is cruel..and they can strangle or could not escape if other dogs or coyotes jumped the fence..

deer go thru fences too, and bust wires sometimes, there is always a gap they can go thru on..

everyone's property is fenced, but not chainlink, as the cost would be huge...

not seeking approval for what I may have to do, nor do I care if I get critiqued for it..
    Use welded wire fencing. I did most of my 8 acres with it. If you use the cheaper 4 ft fencing it is about a dollar or so a foot including the t-posts. IF your land is level and cleared it is easy. If not then it is a lot of work. I have even fenced on the other side of peoples privacy wooden fences. It is mainly to keep my dogs in and any critter that comes in better be discrete and faster than the dogs are and most of them usually are which works out fine for all.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    4 pages of this crap. Need to be reported and put down. Next post will be another dog or attack on a human.ay turn on the owner? Who knows

XD45

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I trust nothing with a brain.

Animal

Human

If they can think there dangerous

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I asked because if they’ve never been a problem before, and then in the last month they’ve attacked two of your dogs...why?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom