• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That shit will make a man do stupid stuff too.

OldMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I feel for you.... I have had 3 pits and NONE have Ever put a tooth in a loose dog Though WE had been threatened many times. I love pits AND imo they need SPECIAL care... Part Pitbulls are the worst and responsible for most bites and attacks like happened to you..

CALL ANIMAL CONTROL...

IF you shoot their dog YOU CAN GO TO JAIL..

I understand how you feel.... I understand Your thoughts and desire.. I have had to pick my dogs up many times when Loose mutts came after us--to save their azz-..

THIS IS THE OWNERS FAULT. 100% control of pets IMO should be the LAW..

sue the fuk out of him...CALL THE LAW/ANIMAL CONTROL AND REPORT.

Stay safe...

I have lost my 3 to old age15,16 yr. And IF walking ,in the moment ,I would shoot any dog that came to hurt them that was off the leash. But...Think.. DO THE RIGHT THING AND REPORT. Keep yourself Safe Sir.
    Peace

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've lived in the country and had dogs, the only time they were allowed to run free was when we were home and could keep an eye on them. At night or when we weren't home they were tied up or fenced in. The idea of letting dogs run wild is what causes dogs to get blood thirsty IMO. All it takes is for your dog to join up with another dog who already likes to kill things, once they are present for a kill their animal instinct takes over. I would never let a dog run free overnight or while we weren't home and then allow that dog to be around my kids. You never know what kind of dog you have after it has roamed the woods at night and killed with other dogs but that's just me, to each their own I guess.

OldMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I've lived in the country and had dogs, the only time they were allowed to run free was when we were home and could keep an eye on them. At night or when we weren't home they were tied up or fenced in. The idea of letting dogs run wild is what causes dogs to get blood thirsty IMO. All it takes is for your dog to join up with another dog who already likes to kill things, once they are present for a kill their animal instinct takes over. I would never let a dog run free overnight or while we weren't home and then allow that dog to be around my kids. You never know what kind of dog you have after it has roamed the woods at night and killed with other dogs but that's just me, to each their own I guess.

You are a Smart Man.... 100% control on our little buddies is needed ....even for foofoo's.... In NewMexico,,the flip side was Let our dog out unsupervised and the smaller it was the More Likely Coyotes ATE HIM.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Unfortunately that is what dogs of that type do and the fault is not having decent security on the facility. My dogs will not harm my little cat but will instantly kill any cat that trespasses on my property. If they were confined I doubt they would break out and kill 29 cats.
    Pits having a strong drive will break out.

Many shelters routinely put down any bully type of dog whether it is a plain southern bulldog or a pit bull. i have mixed feelings on that policy.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Where is the ASPCA,Humain Society,PITA,in all this ????
    Will be interesting if any of the above gets involved.
    Wolves kill for the fun of it . . . coyotes kill to eat. What did these fucking pits kill for ??
    Like a mass murderer, DON'T try to analize them . . . a bullet to the back of the head. DONE !!
    Legislators should be looking at new laws that deal with the more agressive breeds of dogs. EXAMPLE: If I am out front mowing the grass and a peekie-poo comes in my yard barking and growling at me,that is one thing. If a 120lb "agressive breed" does it,the situation is entirely different. The laws should reflect this. ---- SAWMAN

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    More people are bitten by "peekie-poo" types than larger dogs. Breed-specific laws aren't the answer.

Holding owners responsible for their dogs is the answer.

Why is the answer "make a new law"?
    See any similarities to "gun-control" yet?

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Recent news from santa rosa county, FL animal shelter
    “Last year, we had a euthanasia rate of 67% and a live release rate of 33%,” Baker said at the meeting. “Last month, we had a live release rate of 89% for dogs and 74% for cats, or a total of 79.4% live release. ... We started not taking owner intakes when we were full, and reduced the amount of space-related euthanasia.”

In santa rosa county in order to raise funds now wants to tax dog owners. 10 dollars per fixed and 60 dollars per sexually intact dog.
    Pet licenses: Anyone who owns a dog or cat in Santa Rosa County would be required to get a pet license. The license would cost $60 for un-sterilized pets, $10 for sterilized pets and $5 for seniors with sterilized pets.
    The BOCC has not acted on it yet.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Fees and licenses just for owning something that doesn't impact the community? There's more of that libtard gun-control "logic".

My dogs aren't a burden on society. My dogs don't roam free. Yet, as a "responsible owner", I'd pay for a license, right? Otherwise, I'm breaking the law now.

Compare that to someone who lets their dogs roam free, and, by definition, is NOT in control of their dogs. Would they pay for a license? Probably not. Why? That dog is roaming around, able to be hit by cars and become a carcass for the county to remove from the road. Or if it attacks someone or someone's property (chickens, etc), it becomes a reason for an Animal Control officer to be dispatched. Why would those roaming-dog owners put a collar with their address on that dog? Regardless of the fact the collar can get caught on something and choke the dog... nah, if they require licenses, then the very people who deserve to pay for one will be the exact ones who Won't.

End effect: responsible owners are punished and the irresponsible ignore the new law.

Again, does anyone else see the similarities to "gun-control", yet?

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    But, but pits weren’t bred for aggression. They were bred to be babysitters.
    Just like bloodhounds weren’t selectively bred for scent tracking, and Labrador retrievers weren’t selectively bred to retrieve...
    Unimaginable!

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’m guilty of profiling pit bulls, I watch them like a hawk when ever I have to be around one. I don’t believe I’d keep a dog that had shown that kind of aggression, I’d be afraid that it could be someone’s child the next time around.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Fair enough. However, this is a perfect forum for the following outlook:

Next time you see something labeled as breed specific, try replacing the "problem breed animal" with an AR-15, and see if the argument/law/apprehension still makes sense.

Unless the dog is possessed by a demon, it isn't evil. It's merely acting like an animal. If it has an owner, then the owner is responsible.
    A responsible owner would control their dog and ALSO control other people's access TO their dog. If someone purposefully bypasses the owner's control (breaks into the yard, the house, or attacks the owner and prevents their control) then the actions of the dog would become that person's responsibility.

Many identical parallels between responsible dog ownership and responsible firearm ownership.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dogs are selectively bred for certain instincts, tendencies and characteristics.

Guns are inanimate objects. Tools, like a hammer, no better or worse than the man wielding it.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    You make it sound like the dogs are independent members of society.
    As much as I love my four-legged kids, they are "property" and completely the responsibility of my wife and I. Correct: the firearms will "stay" and "heel" with more discipline, but the point is the same: if I leave my dogs to roam around a playground, or I leave a loaded handgun in that same playground, either way, the ensuing situation is my fault. Not the gun's and not the dog's.

Do you honestly believe those dogs in the shelter killed the 29 cats because of some preconceived Jihad or political reason?
    No, of course not. They are intelligent enough to defeat a crappy gate/door, and they pursued their own instincts. If they had been locked up securely, those 29 cats would still be alive and none of us would be talking about that shelter.

Again, it's the responsibility of the people in charge of those dogs.

The solution to the "problem" of "aggressive dogs" is with the people in charge of them.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    The gun will do nothing until picked up and used by someone with their own central nervous system and free will. Children and incompetents largely excluded of ultimate responsibility, of course.
    Animals are property in the responsibility of the owner. Absolutely agreed.
    My issue is with people denying the effects and results of selective breeding in some breeds, and not in others.

Last edited:

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can’t argue with any of that, I keep an eye on any large dog that I don’t know. But as I said pit bulls scare me, and I watch them a little closer than most. I’d call it situational awareness, but folks these days refer to it as profiling.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I agree that different breeds have different temperaments and drives, on average.
    I agree that certain breeds are not a good "fit" for some owners.
    I even agree that certain breeds should naturally have more attentive owners.

I don't agree with breed-specific bans/fees/policies. It's similar to firearms. Ask what is the "real" problem, but don't try to preemptively legislate one of many possible causes and call it good.

Don't want dog bites in your apartment complex or city? Then don't allow dogs. It is criminally arrogant to say that because certain breeds were banned then the problem is solved.

I think irresponsible dog owners should be held accountable. I also think irresponsible gun owners should be held accountable. In the meantime, I don't see why the competent folks should be punished and infringed by over-reactive policies.

FLT, if you don't trust unfamiliar large dogs, then sure, keep a hairy eyeball on 'em. Nothing wrong with that.
    I'd simply add to not let your guard down around unfamiliar medium or small dogs, either.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom