• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    View attachment 67466

I would like to know how far away the fella killed this bear with the .25 auto.

Wonder if that fella lived?

That ad has been one of my white whale for years.. 1st its a hell of an ad,, came out in the 1910s.. And I have never been
    able to get the back story on that.. it drives me nuts..

pcolapaddler

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    there were several gators caught this season so fat that had 22 Cal bullets embedded in their hides.
    On private property in another state, witnessed around 6' gator removed with single 22 short head shot. Not far, maybe 10 yards.

Reared up, rolled over and went down. Still had a fishing line/cork in it mouth.

Sent from an unnamed device running an undisclosed OS via a third party application.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How so? wouldn't their comfort zone be their 100% hit capability?

All shooters have taken shots and missed the desired point of impact but they were in their "comfort zone" or they wouldn't have pulled the trigger. The other side in perfect form, would be a sniper working within his skill/equipment limitations, delivering POA/POI shots. We all fall somewhere in between. Even snipers miss but like all of us, as distance is reduced so is potential error and external factors and one shot hit probability increases.

The reality check is in the Adversary and shot at furthest distance Issues. If your life is on the line: your going to wait until your potential for a miss is eliminated. The distance requirement forces the decision from a "contact shot" to a answer that supports their true capability.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All shooters have taken shots and missed the desired point of impact but they were in their "comfort zone" or they wouldn't have pulled the trigger. The other side in perfect form, would be a sniper working within his skill/equipment limitations, delivering POA/POI shots. We all fall somewhere in between. Even snipers miss but like all of us, as distance is reduced so is potential error and external factors and one shot hit probability increases.

The reality check is in the Adversary and shot at furthest distance Issues. If your life is on the line: your going to wait until your potential for a miss is eliminated. The distance requirement forces the decision from a "contact shot" to a answer that supports their true capability.
    If there is no stealth aspect involved, I will likely take any shot at an enemy that is even remotely possible.

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    View attachment 67466

I would like to know how far away the fella killed this bear with the .25 auto.

Wonder if that fella lived?

Talk about deceptive advertising! Failed to mention that gun had to be removed from the mangled corpse’s ass after the pissed off bear shoved it where the sun don’t shine before slowly bleeding out from a 1 in 10,000 shot.

The mighty 25acp pocket pistol. All you need for Bear Country!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I go hiking with a group in bear country , I always carry a 25 . If a bear attempts to attack the group I’ll choose one of the larger hikers and shoot him or her in the knee. While the bear is finishing them off the rest of us can make an escape. :scared: :bolt: :bolt:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Talk about deceptive advertising! Failed to mention that gun had to be removed from the mangled corpse’s ass after the pissed off bear shoved it where the sun don’t shine before slowly bleeding out from a 1 in 10,000 shot.

The mighty 25acp pocket pistol. All you need for Bear Country!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its been said, if you want kill someone, shoot them with a .22LR, if you want to piss them off, shoot them with a .25

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    its been said, if you want kill someone, shoot them with a .22LR, if you want to piss them off, shoot them with a .25
    I once had a Baltimore policeman tell me he had never seen anyone die from a .25 ACP wound, but lots from a .22 lr. Fact is people do die from .25 ACP wounds. One thing to consider is that all .25 ACP pistols that I have seen were of 2.5 inch barrel. Must use the same length barrels when comparing to .22. I think some .25 ACP is under loaded which can be a factor. But I know of people dying and surviving .25 ACP wounds. I am not volunteering to take on in the midsection to findout for sure.
    For the small vest pocket pistol, the .25 being center fire is more reliable, feeds better due to the 50 grain fmj bullet, and also the rimless case. It has a much better oil seal, so for self defense is more reliable than the .22 lr. What ballistics does the .22 LR get out of a 2.5 inch barrel as compared to the .25?

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I don't want to get shot my any gun, not even a BB gun. I saw a interesting graphic somewhere that the 380 round is extremely deadly as a carry weapon.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Good thing ^^^you ^^^didn't grow up with us then. We had bb gun (war) fights all the time. The old daisy lever action, m1 carbine, then came the crossman (i think) pump bb/pellet gun. Damn, that one hurt bad, dug many a bb out of our arms, legs, back, etc. We were lucky tho, no one lost an eye.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Attachments

• coltbear1_zps2bakvkik.jpg
      coltbear1_zps2bakvkik.jpg
      56.3 KB · Views: 156

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    22 is was used forever and still is by the mob for close up hits
    I see people saying that a lot. I have never seen any statistics. Where I grew up in the chicago area shotguns were popular because they work real well.
    Below an account of the most famous mob killing in chicago if we leave out the St. Valentine massacre where they used Thompson SMGs and shotguns.

On December 16, 1959, 22 days after his release from prison, Roger Touhy and his bodyguard were gunned down by mob hit men. Touhy and his bodyguard were entering the home of Touhy's sister, Ethel Alesia, at 125 N. Lotus Avenue at about 10:30 p.m. Touhy and Walter Miller, a retired Chicago police detective, were climbing the steps to the home when two men appeared from the shadows behind them. Touhy and Miller turned, and Miller showed them his police badge and told the men he was a police officer. The two men then pulled shotguns from beneath their overcoats, and fired five shots. Touhy was struck twice, once in each leg above the knee. Miller was struck three times, but managed to draw his revolver and fire three shots at the departing gunmen. While being rushed to a hospital, Touhy told a newsman, "I've been expecting it. The bastards never forget!"[27] Miller was taken to Loretto Hospital, where he eventually recovered. Touhy was taken to St. Anne's Hospital, where he lived for an hour before dying of shock and loss of blood.[3][4][6][28]

Roger Touhy's killers were never identified. One historian has suggested that Murray "The Camel" Humphreys was behind the assassination, having never forgiven Touhy for humiliating him in 1931 or for comments made about him in Touhy's recently released autobiography.[9]

Others believe the killers to have been Sam "Momo" Giancana, Marshall Caifano or Samuel "Teets" Bataglia, all former members of the 42 Gang which had fought Touhy on the back roads of northwestern Cook County in 1931-1933.[citation needed]

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I'm glad to see someone else struggles with the illusive 1200 mark whether its meters or yards.

I have on many occasions sent .5 MOA or under groups at 1K yds... yet I find it difficult to mark the 1200 steel..I do wonder where my comfort zone is?

I used to struggle with my .308 right at the 900 yard mark...changed from 168s to 175s and that fixed that

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    SHEEEEEEEETE !!! I can ring steel at the 1200m mark with my mighty 300BLK shooting subs.
    Actually . . . . . that could be too many zero's. --- SAWMAN

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I just ordered some 22 LR. We were shooting the steel at 100 yds yesterday and had a pretty good time (didn't hit it every time, but did pretty good....) Gonna get all the 22's out and dust them off and put some lead through them for a change.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I guess I should add my answer to the tactical situation question I presented: 225 Yards. This is with optic/sights set to Maximum Point Blank Range Zero. Its a conservative distance, plenty of cushion for wind and minor shooter/equipment variables. Unless I'm playing with .22LR or tweaking something, I'm working the 300 yard line. Every centerfire rifle I own can exceed the 225 yard hit spec.which makes it a simple shooting task with an extremely high probability of success.

I've won and lost several Benjamins on XX @ 800 yards in my hayday, now I'd be content just to scare the hell out of the 9 Ring. Lol.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Steel? Pretty far with standard full
    Power rounds. Maybe 1000?
    A 223 can go to 700 consistently, so it can’t be much of a stretch.
    Critters? No idea, I’ve only ever hunted with shotguns.

Latest posts

Top Bottom