• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Pretty sure a .22 isn’t in the mix of what yawwl are discussing, but I gotta add my bit of fun with my new/old rifle fun at ERGC range.
    Remington 513T Matchmaster.
    View attachment 67460
    View attachment 67461

After quickly getting bored with one hole groups at 25yrds and a little bigger at 50, I dialed the rear sight up 30 clicks was suprised to bust clay targets on the back bank ~140yds.
    THEN proceded to pick off the jiblets that were left on the bank!

Of course I’m not getting a hit every single shot, but just about!
    Carry on Men!

I was just looking at all the 22's int he locker here. I'll be shooting them more soon..... Nothing wrong with a 22. I shoot at the ERGC too.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Realistically in a hunting scenario, 200 yards! That's it. I just get too dang excited still! Buck, doe, it doesn't matter. I still bet deer fever when I get that critter in the scope.

Never really tried shooting farther really.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was just looking at all the 22's int he locker here. I'll be shooting them more soon..... Nothing wrong with a 22. I shoot at the ERGC too.
    The .22 is the most useful caliber ever made. If that was all I could have, I would not feel underarmed even though it has serious limitations. These being penetration, distance, and of course small wounds. There is very little that walks the earth that can not be dispatched on its way with a .22 lr, especially in America. Africa and the polar bears of the arctic and grizzly bears are another story for sure. In the USA the Grizzly-brown bear and moose are probably issues that the 22 is not the best solution for if they are charging.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Agreed! I've killed lots of rabbits ans tree rats with the 22's. Not to mention lots of other stuff growing up...

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    The .22 is the most useful caliber ever made. If that was all I could have, I would not feel underarmed even though it has serious limitations. These being penetration, distance, and of course small wounds. There is very little that walks the earth that can not be dispatched on its way with a .22 lr, especially in America. Africa and the polar bears of the arctic and grizzly bears are another story for sure. In the USA the Grizzly-brown bear and moose are probably issues that the 22 is not the best solution for if they are charging.

you ain't lived until you put a .22 short subsonic in a wolverine's forehead and dropped him like a rock with one shot at 353 yards

ya'll believe that, I got some hot Nigerian stock tips....can't miss...Nigerian mysterymeat jerky....

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    you ain't lived until you put a .22 short subsonic in a wolverine's forehead and dropped him like a rock with one shot at 353 yards

ya'll believe that, I got some hot Nigerian stock tips....can't miss...Nigerian mysterymeat jerky....

I guess I have not lived lol.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nice! You can even see the bullet trace in that video.

A buddy of mine used to compete at Camp Perry with several of his rifles...no scope though. He and Hook Boutin built a bunch of rifles together.

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Closest .22 short ballistic data I could find.

3F61286B-F738-4563-90FC-83826140EE92.jpeg

At least 313 inchs of bullet drop (26 feet) with less than 19ft pounds of bullet energy.

That wolverine didn’t have one smidgin of luck.

Attachments

• 3F61286B-F738-4563-90FC-83826140EE92.jpeg
      3F61286B-F738-4563-90FC-83826140EE92.jpeg
      33.4 KB · Views: 197

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Closest .22 short ballistic data I could find.

View attachment 67464

At least 313 inchs of bullet drop (26 feet) with less than 19ft pounds of bullet energy.

That wolverine didn’t have one smidgin of luck.
    I read a claim many years ago by gun writer claiming when a kid of seeing a deer at three hundred yards and aiming about a cabin high about the mule ear. He was using a western .22 short and said the bullet struck the deer in the head and was protruding from the off-side of the head. He was likely using a high velocity loading and would of had like had a 150 fps advantage over the aguila match. I also suspect that the range was shorter than 300 yards.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    View attachment 67466

I would like to know how far away the fella killed this bear with the .25 auto.

Wonder if that fella lived?
    Farmers often used a .22 short to kill livestock for butchering. I would say the .25 50 grain fmj slug could kill a bear. Not a recommended gun for the task. I remember reading years ago in field and stream of a canadian indian with a colt woodman .22 auto killing a black bear as it was leaving his smoke house and was running over him to get away. He thought it was his brother in law stealing from him again and was going out to have it out with him and this bear runs out taking the screen door wih him. He had a permanent leather pocket sewed into his pants for the .22 it went everywhere with. Fired one shot as the bear was running over him to get away killing it. He said that pistol was the best thing that the whiteman ever brought to the north woods IIRC.

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I should have been asked this question 45 years ago when my skill sets were at their peak. Lol. Ancient history is irrelevant. It is the rare individual that can compensate for all the ills of aging with practice.

The question leaves parameters wide open. I think the correct answers would only surface if the shooter had personal risk at stake. People assume/accept varying degrees of chance when there is no severe risk to them. If we redefine the question, we get better answers.

Situation: Your approaching adversary (target) is equipped identically to you (equipment you own). He has greater skill sets than you do so you get the first shot. Your adversary will not miss with his lethal return shot. You must neutralize your adversary with one rifle shot at the LONGEST STANDOOF DISTANCE within your skill and equipmet limits.

Q: What is that distance?

I brought this up to differentiate between someone's comfort zone shots and true 100% shooting hit capability, they are vastly different things.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I should have been asked this question 45 years ago when my skill sets were at their peak. Lol. Ancient history is irrelevant. It is the rare individual that can compensate for all the ills of aging with practice.

The question leaves parameters wide open. I think the correct answers would only surface if the shooter had personal risk at stake. People assume/accept varying degrees of chance when there is no severe risk to them. If we redefine the question, we get better answers.

Situation: Your approaching adversary (target) is equipped identically to you (equipment you own). He has greater skill sets than you do so you get the first shot. Your adversary will not miss with his lethal return shot. You must neutralize your adversary with one rifle shot at the LONGEST STANDOOF DISTANCE within your skill and equipmet limits.

I brought this up to differentiate between someone's comfort zone shots and true 100% shooting hit capability, they are vastly different things.
    400 yards, assuming no wind.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Heh heh heh heh , I’ll wait till he goes to sleep and cut his throat.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

If someone is more skilled than you are at long range get him up close and shoot him in back, basically an ambush. Better to not pick arguments with such people in the first place.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Realtor posts a question about hitting steel and it devolves into how far can you shoot your twin. LMAO

No, that's not what he asked. He said: "Realistically, what’s your comfortable shooting distance, general calibers, 30-06, 30-30, 308, 270…. In reality?"

My rephrasing of the question is ment to cut out the "I think I can hit at X distance" to actual "I can hit every time at X distance". OP asked for reality not wishful boasting or a fishing story. I'm "comfortable" shooting 1200 meters but can't hit the target 50% of the time. Lol.

Top Bottom