Target Sports

Thoughts on ClassicFirearms Chicom repro??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi AK fans,
    So Classicfirearms in conjunction with JRA are offering a Type 56 underfolder with factory 66 arsenal markings and parts kits. Guess these were imported as chicom parts kits and assembled to 922 standard in the US by JRA using their receivers.

At a glance I think they look pretty good. Selector markings in Chinese are a nice touch and overall the rifles look to be in great shape. Of course only the cream of the crop gets the photo shoot.

I have 2 observations that may or may not be 100% correct. I have seen only 1 picture of a Chinese made war rifle with dimple less receivers. I have never seen a dimple less Chinese receiver in person and of all the real deal examples I have seen personally, none have had the barrel threaded. Though I have seen several pictures of Type 56 rifles threaded barrels so that could have been an off or on again thing. Nothing is ever 100% in the AK world.

Also I could not tell by the pictures too clearly but it appears that the rifles do not have a bayonet lug. If true that would lead me to believe that these may be de fanged kits that got imported from whoever and assembled to compliance here.

For the price of 1.2k, I guess it is not too bad if you really want one but when you factor that the receiver is likely not correct, the FCG is U.S. made, and there is possibly no bayo lug it kind of takes the excitement out of it for me. For 1.2K you can find yourself a nice refanged Mak90 and gain three of the better features back, original Chinese FCG, Factory Chicom receiver w/dimples, and factory CL mil spec barrel.

Not dogging on classic as I have bought from them before and been more than satisfied. I just think they may be over hyping this one.

Last edited:

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Overhyping is an understatement. Would have been better if they sold off the parts kits instead of selling complete rifles in a mixmaster fashion. $1200 is far too much for that rifle. I mean $1200 is not far off of preban rifles that will hold their value. JRA builds have yet to be seen on holding their value. My guess would be no due to it not being a correct clone build. I've ordered from Classic before as well. I picked up my M39 Mosin from them. Tried to buy others but they're really proud of what they sell. Too proud IMHO. I'm at the point where AK prices are so insane, I'm buying roller gun clones just because they're cheaper. Not to mention I'm about out of variants I want in my collection. Still need a spiker and maybe 1 or 2 more but I'll have to stumble across a deal online to find them. This hobby is getting way out of hand.....

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They say a 1.5 mm receiver and as was stated there are no dimples. So obviously the receiver is not a spec copy of the chinese gun. These days $1200 for a decent AK is not too much, but is it a decent AK. I have yet to hear of an american made gun that holds up. After seeing reports on the century USA made guns and also from other sources I lost my interest in new AK. I do have a MAK 90, but I am switching the AR system since now days you get a lot more for your money on the AR platform. I would want rob ski of AK Operators union to put 10 k rounds through one first prior to buying one. If I wanted a good AK I would take a long look at Rifle Dynamics to see what they are up to. There basic line of guns are $2,200, but it is likely a quality AK. https://www.rifledynamics.com/rifles Rifle below and they have dimples. Fuller no longer owns the company but last I heard he was working for them.
    5c0bef_2cf966f8489146abbd58ff8d738e3dd1~mv2.jpg

Attachments

• 5c0bef_2cf966f8489146abbd58ff8d738e3dd1~mv2.jpg
      5c0bef_2cf966f8489146abbd58ff8d738e3dd1~mv2.jpg
      65.1 KB · Views: 433

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm kinda biased but I don't see the value in a $2200 RD AK or a Krebs Custom AK. I have a buddy that has at least one built by them and he loves it. I've never shot it or handled it. Probably the same reason why I don't own an LWRC or Daniel Defense AR.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Gee WIZZ! lol I'm mid 50's, I can buy 3 AK for the price of a single AK, and never even think of wearing out 1 or 2 of the three. (for the record... I do some shooting too....) I don't get it, but everything I have goes bang when I pull the trigger, and I may be able to hold my own when the zombies come here too.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am a bit biased towards import/pre ban AK rifles myself. The commies just know how to build their service rifle.

I guess it would be like buying an import AR. I don’t think I could do it.

Not to mention Preban and import AKs seem to hold value and Preban just keeps climbing in value on top of usually being good builds.

I hear rifle dynamics build great AK rifles but it seems like they are catering to the tactical market mostly. I’m sure they are straight builds but I’m sure some money goes into those rails and qd mounts, quick throw levers and the like. If I’m paying 2k or up for a AK it had better be foreign and banned.

If I had the means I would build AK and variants but purely as military clone versions. AK type III, AKM, AK 100 series, PSL and dragunovs, AK12 etc. everyone has a dream

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    but is it a decent AK. I have yet to hear of an american made gun that holds up. I would want rob ski of AK Operators union to put 10 k rounds through one first prior to buying one.

Exactly! I'm done with the American AK's until there is video proof of them putting serious lead down range in battle fashion.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Really only “US” made AKs that I want. From parts kits....:usa:
    Reweld Yugo m70 and Chinese folder with original IACO import barrel and myguns receiver.
    E63BD6E7-D931-47B5-8134-2539CC1FD420.jpg

Attachments

• E63BD6E7-D931-47B5-8134-2539CC1FD420.jpg
      E63BD6E7-D931-47B5-8134-2539CC1FD420.jpg
      190 KB · Views: 442
    Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Really only “US” made AKs that I want. From parts kits....:usa:
    Reweld Yugo m70 and Chinese folder with original IACO import barrel and myguns receiver.
    View attachment 69882

The imported kits lack the receiver which according to the atf must be destroyed. The weakest part of american guns is the American made receiver and the Trunions. To set up a proper AK production line is not easy or really that cheap. It took the russians years before they could reliably make the AKM. There are heat treat, forging, and welding issues. Americans have the AR manufacture down pat, but not the AK.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi AK fans,
    So Classicfirearms in conjunction with JRA are offering a Type 56 underfolder with factory 66 arsenal markings and parts kits. Guess these were imported as chicom parts kits and assembled to 922 standard in the US by JRA using their receivers.

At a glance I think they look pretty good. Selector markings in Chinese are a nice touch and overall the rifles look to be in great shape. Of course only the cream of the crop gets the photo shoot.

I have 2 observations that may or may not be 100% correct. I have seen only 1 picture of a Chinese made war rifle with dimple less receivers. I have never seen a dimple less Chinese receiver in person and of all the real deal examples I have seen personally, none have had the barrel threaded. Though I have seen several pictures of Type 56 rifles threaded barrels so that could have been an off or on again thing. Nothing is ever 100% in the AK world.

Also I could not tell by the pictures too clearly but it appears that the rifles do not have a bayonet lug. If true that would lead me to believe that these may be de fanged kits that got imported from whoever and assembled to compliance here.

For the price of 1.2k, I guess it is not too bad if you really want one but when you factor that the receiver is likely not correct, the FCG is U.S. made, and there is possibly no bayo lug it kind of takes the excitement out of it for me. For 1.2K you can find yourself a nice refanged Mak90 and gain three of the better features back, original Chinese FCG, Factory Chicom receiver w/dimples, and factory CL mil spec barrel.

Not dogging on classic as I have bought from them before and been more than satisfied. I just think they may be over hyping this one.
    Chinese stamped receivers all have dimples if they were intended for double column magazines. Chinese milled receivers do not have dimples. Some overseas guns intended for single column magazines that are stamped sheet metal lack dimples.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Chinese milled receiver with lightening cuts which are not stamped dimples.

chinese stamped receiver.jpg

Attachments

• chinese stamped receiver.jpg
      chinese stamped receiver.jpg
      62.4 KB · Views: 194
    Top Bottom