• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmfillin1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    So I recently purchased this. It was advertised as an Astra 500, but I can find no info on it. It's in rough shape, but I liked the age on it and it's super comfortable to hold. It has 1928 stamped under the grips, so I'm guessing it's the date. My best guess was a model 1914, but the model 1914 seems to have different slide serrations and different grips. Any info would be greatly appreciated, I took pics of most of the proofs that I could find. I know some of the basic proof marks, but can't decipher the scrolled initials next to the 1928 date, nor the other lettering. So long story short, I like this gun but I have no clue what it is exactly. My best guess is astras version of the Spanish Ruby, but I can find no pictures of it online.
    84c2eb088ee4ede33e41211af4a17699.jpg
    2684ececa056edc997e689b9b9c7a634.jpg
    1aed40546ef0f973cd88708581b14d9b.jpg
    8b44908e8e68046fe6068748e05a7aae.jpg
    1989c406c31e6aee67f9eebdb6f9d2a7.jpg
    838a82d3893c23f1818f5fda1bf119bc.jpg
    5cab15aa7a713705e2ca0fec3138eeea.jpg
    6a09aca1071acd626b6519d627e57916.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It really looks like a ruby type pistol that were used by the french. They were made by various manufacturers. Perhaps that is a post war specimen meant for commercial sale. When new and fitted with a correct magazine they gave good service in trench warfare. The war time ones were .32 ACP.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    It really looks like a ruby type pistol that were used by the french. They were made by various manufacturers. Perhaps that is a post war specimen meant for commercial sale. When new and fitted with a correct magazine they gave good service in trench warfare. The war time ones were .32 ACP.

in search, I found one in like shape, $230

jmfillin1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    That's what I'm thinking as well, a Ruby of some sort. It is .32 Cal, it just has strange markings all over. And it's been the only gun in my collection I haven't been able to pinpoint 100%.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I had a WW2 French officers sidearm once, .32acp, took it apart once, pretty easy...

two hours later back together...not something you want to field strip

mabd2.jpg

jmfillin1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It wasn't too bad, once I figured out that I had to turn the barrel counter clockwise to pull it. I can strip most guns I've handled without much researching, but I got stuck on the barrel part of the stripping process on this thing. Had to resort to the YouTube. Lol

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It wasn't too bad, once I figured out that I had to turn the barrel counter clockwise to pull it. I can strip most guns I've handled without much researching, but I got stuck on the barrel part of the stripping process on this thing. Had to resort to the YouTube. Lol

when I was about 12 I completely disassembled my step father's .32 spanish automatic, that is the hammer and disconnector and every spring and screw out. It was harder putting it all back together, but I managed without and spare parts left over. They are usually very simple designs. He traded a few cartons of cigarettes for it about the end of WWII in Italy for it when he was in the merchant marine.

jmfillin1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Awesome story. And you're right, it's a pretty simple and straight forward design.
    when I was about 12 I completely disassembled my step father's .32 spanish automatic, that is the hammer and disconnector and every spring and screw out. It was harder putting it all back together, but I managed without and spare parts left over. They are usually very simple designs. He traded a few cartons of cigarettes for it about the end of WWII in Italy for it when he was in the merchant marine.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Awesome story. And you're right, it's a pretty simple and straight forward design.

Quote Originally Posted by FrommerStop View Post

The brand name was victoria IIRC.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

That is one cool story, Do you still have the Pistol???

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I recently purchased this. It was advertised as an Astra 500, but I can find no info on it. It's in rough shape, but I liked the age on it and it's super comfortable to hold. It has 1928 stamped under the grips, so I'm guessing it's the date. My best guess was a model 1914, but the model 1914 seems to have different slide serrations and different grips. Any info would be greatly appreciated, I took pics of most of the proofs that I could find. I know some of the basic proof marks, but can't decipher the scrolled initials next to the 1928 date, nor the other lettering. So long story short, I like this gun but I have no clue what it is exactly. My best guess is astras version of the Spanish Ruby, but I can find no pictures of it online.

Love the Astra Ruby family of pistols.. Classic early automatic lines. There is a case to be made that a Astra Ruby is the Firearm that Henry purchased as his sidearm in Hemingway's "A Farewell to Arms"..

jmfillin1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Can't say I've read that one yet, but I'll add it to the list .
    Love the Astra Ruby family of pistols.. Classic early automatic lines. There is a case to be made that a Astra Ruby is the Firearm that Henry purchased as his sidearm in Hemingway's "A Farewell to Arms"..

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Does your Step Dad still have it...?? Is it still a part of the family...?? Could you see it again if you wanted..??

It was stolen during a burglary some years ago. He would be over hundred today if he was still alive. My mother just made a hundred last month, but most people do not. If it had not been stolen I might have ended up with it or one of my half brothers would have gotten it. A WWII bring back T-33 russian pistol was also stolen at that time.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It was stolen during a burglary some years ago. He would be over hundred today if he was still alive. My mother just made a hundred last month, but most people do not. If it had not been stolen I might have ended up with it or one of my half brothers would have gotten it. A WWII bring back T-33 russian pistol was also stolen at that time.

Yuck that's beyond a bummer,, I hate thieves..

Top Bottom