• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    AK balanced recoil: I'm thinking you'd get pushed and spun opposite the case ejection, assuming your shooting from your shoulder. No clue how effective the "balanced" recoil system is.

I thought I'd read somewhere that the round should still go off because of trapped air inside the case. Guess that depends on your crimp?

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    "In space there other things to consider for shooting projectile weapon beyond recoil.
    Temperature would be one if you are actually in space and not in a temperature controlled environment. Materials behave very differently at low temperatures. I am not even sure if a primer will go off for a starter. From there one could go on to a lot of other things. Relative to recoil rocket guns might be the answer." -Frommer from previous thread.

I hadn't thought about the temperature aspect. You've got high and low extremes.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You also have a near vacuum and that can cause sublimation of lubricants and even organic solids in the presence of sunlight. A bigger question is what is there to shoot at out there. Instead of clay pigeons would one shoot meteorites?

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I heard there's still some up there on a secret Soviet space station that the captured Nazi scientists helped build during the cold war. They lost communication due to budget cut backs just before the union collapsed.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gonna lose a little sleep over that one.
    A heartless person might say:
    "A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic." https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/21/death-statistic/

Maybe stalin said the above. More details below
    In the days when Stalin was Commissar of Munitions, a meeting was held of the highest ranking Commissars, and the principal matter for discussion was the famine then prevalent in the Ukraine. One official arose and made a speech about this tragedy — the tragedy of having millions of people dying of hunger. He began to enumerate death figures … Stalin interrupted him to say: “If only one man dies of hunger, that is a tragedy. If millions die, that’s only statistics.”

The sad thing is that past Russian governments, Czarist or Bolshevik had little compunction in sending thousands to the death in search of a victory.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    That Ukrainian famine is a bit infamous. Anyone who hasn’t read up any on it may find it interesting, including the real and alleged causes.

Anyone know what the first gun in space was?

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    US Air Force knows everything that is up there in orbit, I personally know a guy that used to work the tracking radar. Now if they know something's there and not telling anybody that would be believable, but I see no reason to keep a soviet space station a secret.

As for shooting in a vacuum, I heard that gunpowder produces it's own oxygen as it burns, which is why it burns in a closed case. The shooter would be thrust backwards and the bullet would continue on a straight path forever until it impacted another object or passed close enough to one to have it's path gravitationally altered.

RH

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    US Air Force knows everything that is up there in orbit, I personally know a guy that used to work the tracking radar. Now if they know something's there and not telling anybody that would be believable, but I see no reason to keep a soviet space station a secret.

As for shooting in a vacuum, I heard that gunpowder produces it's own oxygen as it burns, which is why it burns in a closed case. The shooter would be thrust backwards and the bullet would continue on a straight path forever until it impacted another object or passed close enough to one to have it's path gravitationally altered.

RH
    Gun power, both black and smokeless contain their own oxygen. Saltpeter an essential part of black power contains the needed oxygen as does nitrocellulose found in single base smokeless and nitroglycerin found in double base smokeless powders.
    223px-Potassium_nitrate_structure.svg.png

Nitrocellulose-2D-skeletal.png

1200px-Nitroglycerin.svg.png

Attachments

• 223px-Potassium_nitrate_structure.svg.png
      223px-Potassium_nitrate_structure.svg.png
      1.5 KB · Views: 151
    • Nitrocellulose-2D-skeletal.png
      Nitrocellulose-2D-skeletal.png
      19.9 KB · Views: 162
    • 1200px-Nitroglycerin.svg.png
      1200px-Nitroglycerin.svg.png
      13.7 KB · Views: 160

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Quote Originally Posted by fl57caveman View Post
    perhaps you would go in the opposite direction of the bullet, at the same speed?
    According to Newtonian physics there will be an equal force put on you in the opposite direction that would be expressed as equal momentum and not equal velocity except if you have a mass that is identical to that of the propelled bullet.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    AK balanced recoil: I'm thinking you'd get pushed and spun opposite the case ejection, assuming your shooting from your shoulder. No clue how effective the "balanced" recoil system is.

I thought I'd read somewhere that the round should still go off because of trapped air inside the case. Guess that depends on your crimp?
    Where ever you read that, I strongly suggest that you do not do anymore reading there or more read it a little more carefully. Now if the interior of the case gets soaked with water or oil, it may not fire, but not because of lack of oxygen.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You guys have too much time on your hands, worrying about petty stuff like, If it'll shoot in near zero or zero oxygen conditions, or in a vacuum. And being spun around or pushed backwards whilst shooting a conventional firearm, etc...

No worries here, because I'm going to join the new SpaceForce. I heard you will get a Laser gun that doesn't kick, shoots in zero gravity, zero 02, in a vacuum, out of a vacuum, and has damn near unlimited ray-beams to shoot with one energy loading.

Here's what you get.

Attachments

• phazer.jpeg
      phazer.jpeg
      16.6 KB · Views: 131
    • laser.jpeg
      laser.jpeg
      14.7 KB · Views: 134

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What was the first gun in space - I want to know!

Top Bottom