Just how insignificant we are in the scale of things.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Consider just how insignificant we are in the scale of things.

The astronomers tell us there are 2500 stars with planetary systems that might be similar to ours in our galaxy called the milky way.

Take that number times 100 or perhaps 200 billion
    100 billion galaxies
    All in all, Hubble reveals an estimated 100 billion galaxies in the universe or so, but this number is likely to increase to about 200 billion as telescope technology in space improves
    Some of those planetary systems likely have intelligent life.
    I wonder what religions they have and if they are in need of salvation too.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    So what you're saying is 5.56 isn't going to cut it..... 6.5G for all your outter space needs?

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    mass counts for everything in space, go with .45 winmag or 45-70 carbine

no bullet drop in space..

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    That new AK recoil system is probably a game changer in space

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So what you're saying is 5.56 isn't going to cut it..... 6.5G for all your outter space needs?

LOL, so my choosing a 6.5 g was of a concern.
    Interesting. I am an observer, but not a very good student of human behavior.

Most people do not like to be presented with anything that offers information that challenges deeply ingrained beliefs.
    One way to deal with such perceived challenges is to use a diversion so the original question is no longer considered.
    And there are good practical reasons for doing so.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Because it's a gun forum.

You can hem and haw over where we belong in the universe, what our purpose is, if we have a purpose, if we're alone, if we're not alone, what that means about your current beliefs. I'm secure in mine and believe that there's nothing that will be posted on this forum that will change them.... but still pondering what the ramifications of shooting a firearm in space with asymmetrical forces

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    the bible never said anywhere I have read, that we were the only ones He made...we are a peculiar people..but did not say the only people.

He said let there be light, and light has never stopped going, and the universe is still expanding, because he never said let the light stop.
    the most conservative formulas I have seen, still have over 200 planets that could support life such as ours.

Creation is the witness to His being..our own minds convict us of it..the world screams of intelligent design, who could possibly believe evolution to be the answer?

salvation for them needed? probable, as we are inclined to go to the dark side from early on...why would they be different/?

Last edited:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

You can hem and haw over where we belong in the universe, what our purpose is, if we have a purpose, if we're alone, if we're not alone, what that means about your current beliefs. I'm secure in mine and believe that there's nothing that will be posted on this forum that will change them.... but still pondering what the ramifications of shooting a firearm in space with asymmetrical forces

perhaps you would go in the opposite direction of the bullet, at the same speed?

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

In space there other things to consider for shooting projectile weapon beyond recoil.
    Temperature would be one if you are actually in space and not in a temperature controlled environment. Materials behave very differently at low temperatures. I am not even sure if a primer will go off for a starter. From there one could go on to a lot of other things. Relative to recoil rocket guns might be the answer.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The fun is gone.
    No sighting in,in space. All bullets go streight with no drop whatsoever. SHITSKI !!
    Soooooo . . . no B.C. needed I guess. No "bullet time if flight" computations needed either. No boat tail bullets needed. No meplate or ojive to worry about. Magnus effect . . . BLAAAAAH !!!
    Maybe a backstop for target shooting though. --- SAWMAN

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Every speck in this photo that doesn't have defraction spikes is a galaxy, some red shifted almost out of the visible light spectrum. These galaxies are at the very edge of the visible universe and are the furthest objects every seen by man. This photo also represents an area of the sky equivalent to holding a grain of sand at arms length, and there are some 1500 galaxies in it.

Considering that every galaxy averages some 2 billion stars I think the odds of intelligent life forming somewhere else are excellent. There's surely some that have taken a similar evolutionary path as Earth, some may still have dinosaurs, some may have figured out how to exceed the speed of light. The possibilities are endless and exciting.

Rick

Attachments

• hudf_hst.jpg
      hudf_hst.jpg
      48.8 KB · Views: 141

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "Just how insignificant we are in the scale of things" A simple answer really...............we are all significant in the environment we live in which is the only one that matters. All this stuff about billions of galaxies and planets doesn't really mean a thing. All too far away to get too and probably always will be. Like the picture shootnstarz posted, some of those galaxies may not even exist anymore but we can still pick up their light. It's fun to speculate about all this some but it's so mysterious a subject it could make you have a rubber room in the happy hangar fairly quickly.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Over time all the galaxies will drift apart, so far apart that any observer will only be aware of his own galaxy. If no history was recorded when there were countless visible this observer would never know of the multitude of other galaxies that exist.

Running this clock backwards, what has existed in the past that we will never know about? What object, force, structure, anything you could imagine, was once present that has drifted away, evaporated, burned out or collapsed into it's self?

Cosmology is my thing but it's depressing so much of it will never be known, but it's nice to contemplate sitting outside under a vast clear night sky, or observing a galaxy with your own eye as it was when dinosaurs roamed the Earth.

Rick

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "Just how insignificant we are in the scale of things" A simple answer really...............we are all significant in the environment we live in which is the only one that matters. All this stuff about billions of galaxies and planets doesn't really mean a thing. All too far away to get too and probably always will be. Like the picture shootnstarz posted, some of those galaxies may not even exist anymore but we can still pick up their light. It's fun to speculate about all this some but it's so mysterious a subject it could make you have a rubber room in the happy hangar fairly quickly.

And then there's quasars, black holes, worm holes, ect

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    we should have used chocolates instead of nailing Him to a cross...would have saved a lot of grief

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    we should have used chocolates instead of nailing Him to a cross...would have saved a lot of grief

Do think Jesus would fair any better if he came back today for the second coming. People would always see someone like that as a threat and act accordingly if they could.

Top Bottom