• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sibilicus

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Okay, I usually just read and learn. Very rarely do I initiate a thread (in fact don't know that I ever have) but I am stuck with this one. Recently someone gave me a pile of bullets (a large pile). But none of them are identified. I was wondering if anyone knew where I might find a bullet identification chart. Maybe a manufacturer chart. I have several different bullets to identify. An example is the one I picture here. Can anyone identify this bullet? How do you know if you do? All help is greatly appreciated. bullet.jpg

Attachments

• bullet.jpg
      bullet.jpg
      20.2 KB · Views: 229

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Roasters correct. Measurement and weight is best first check. I have micrometer and scale if you need assistance in that determination.

Last edited:

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Best guess from the pic would be a .357 gas checked lead truncated cone bullet.

That lubrication groove pattern may be possible to identify to a manufacturer or mold manufacturer, but basically knowing the caliber and weight will enable you to load and shoot them with confidence.

sibilicus

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oh yes, I have all of the tools. I know it a 9mm (for 38 special) bullet at 165 gr. I just can't figure out the composition.

sibilicus

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So if I understand correctly, I don't necessarily need to know the composition (FMJ. JHP, etc.) just go bu the weight and calibre?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If you can score/scratch it with your fingernail it is soft lead. If not,it is hardcast (mo-bedda).
    Looks like the design that was commonly known as the Keith bullet. Origionally designed by Elmer Kieth.
    If you don't know who Elmer Keith was,you should probably give the bullets to me. . . . THANKS . . . --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

sibilicus

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you can score/scratch it with your fingernail it is soft lead. If not,it is hardcast (mo-bedda).

Looks like the mo-bedda bullet. So my question is as a beginner reloader, what would I call this bullet so as to determine the powder and charge for it's use?

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

Looks like the mo-bedda bullet. So my question is as a beginner reloader, what would I call this bullet so as to determine the powder and charge for it's use?

You can load it once you know the diameter and weight. You say 9mm for .38, but the .38 is a .357 diameter like the .357 magnum, and the 9mm is .351 diameter. Sending a PM with contact number for further discussion if you would like. I have been loading for a few decades now, not as long as SAW I bet...but a lot of years.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Remember also . . . cast bullets,both hard and soft,have different diameters. Some diameters vary by .003" ,up or down. A gas check can be a different diameter alltogether because it cups the lead,keeps it from melting and getting destorted. It keeps the bbl from getting extremely packed with lead. But you must clean more often than with copper clad bullets.
    The pic of the bullet you posted above,looks to me like it is hardcast. --- SAWMAN

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I think you are confusing two words : composition = what it is made of IE: lead + ?, and configuration is the shape or design IE: semi wadcutter

sibilicus

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, I learned a lot today. Mostly I learned I need to learn a lot more. Thanks to all who helped, especially RackinRay.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    9mm is .351 diameter
    The actual bore-groove diameter varies a little bit, but .355 is what most say.
    By the way when there is a gas check that suggests the bullet is intended for higher velocities. It is the bullet base that receives the heat from the powder combustion and gas checks are intended to protect the base from heat.

9×19mm Parabellum (9mm Luger) 9.02 (.355)

Latest posts

Top Bottom