• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • purple

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i have a kid who shoots a rem youth 243 and I have always bought the least expensive bullet, usually rem core look or federal equivalent. I have a chance to buy anything made by federal at a nice discount from retail through a friend, shop owner. There are several choices and would appreciate your input bc I will need to buy an entire case so I want to get the best, realizing 243 isn’t the ideal load but for Florida and Texas sized deer and hogs, will work fine

anyway, they have fusion soft point, regular softpoint, ballistic tips, bonded Nosler accu tip, and maybe a few others. My guess was, the ballistic tip might be best but not sure. Also, whatever u recommend, I will also get a case for my 308.

Thank you

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Depends what the gun will shoot best. Would suck to buy a whole case then find out the gun doesnt like it.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I don't shoot federal in.243. But the .243 is an excellent round for deer and hog. But it's more "manly" to shoot the .308, opposed to the sissy .243. I don't give a damn what anyone says, I have taken countless deer with my .243, 1 shot and never had a deer travel more than 25 yards, with 97% dropping in their tracks.
    I use Winchester 100gr Power Points. I'm sure there "may" be something better or equivalent, I just don't know what is?
    I don't like nor use ballistic rounds, they tend to ruin alot of meat. And I have never lost a deer with the Winchester 100gr power point round. g/l

purple

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I really wasn’t considering the Nosler partition but based on feedback, I guess I need to focus on that one assuming it shoots thru my gun well. Was mostly thinking the fusion would be a little upgrade to the standard soft point but lots of support for this Nosler.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The 243 Federal Fusion loaded ammo is the best way to go. My lot had an 8 SD, thats about the best I can do with my handholds.

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We shot I think the 90 or 100 grain Remington Core-Loc in both the nephews guns. No problems with either one.

BowChamp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I've killed a few deer with 80 gr. ballistic tips, 85 gr. partitions, 100 gr. rem corelokt and 100 gr. win. powerpoint. I've also been involved with setting up rifles for several young boys, girls and a few ladies. When asked for over the counter ammo for a 243 win., I've always recommended 100 gr. rem. corelokt or win powerpoint. None have had any problems with these. All of the bullets you mention will work great on deer and hogs. I would go with the one that gives best accuracy and let them dig.
    Keep us posted on the out come.

Top Bottom