• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Has anybody found a spray gun that will spray latex paint? I don't mean the plug in electric Wagner types but either a high or low pressure gun I can use with my compressor.

I've looked at airless rigs but with the paint loss and cleaning time they're not practical for my small jobs. Just would like a regular spray gun that will spray latex paint, easy clean up.

Rick

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I used a cheap-assed automobile paint gun a couple years ago, to put a first coat on my house. Mix was 50-50 water/latex. I needed it to be thin to penetrate porous wood, so future coats of paint would flow better. I had to frequently clean clogs, but if I had strained the paint mixture a little better, it wouldn't have been so bad. I had a 2 hose model about 10 years ago (air/paint), but I couldn't get that one to work for me. I was trying to spray full strength Kilz primer. Would work great for a minute or two, then a stream of paint would come out. I finally opened the stream up, squirted a mess of primer, then used a thick nap roller to spread the primer.

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been out of painting for a long time but used to paint houses with my dad and spraying latex paint for interior walls,ceilings and closets was standard. We used a Greco airless spray machine...not too bad to clean up, but that rig was not for small volume jobs...I think there was a brand name Cougar as well...anyways, i'm sure one can be rented and youtube is sure to have something on clean up. We used to run water through the lines...maybe mineral spirits if up for a long period..cant remember for sure.

Probably not what you are looking for...but there are wagner type sprayers/air sprayers that put out higher volume...again, youtube might be a resource to check out.

Last edited:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I am not sure what you mean by small jobs. I have an airless HV LP gun I use for small things like tables, chairs, molding, and cabinets. I have painted cabinets in place and didn't need more than a 6" tape off and didn't need all of that. Cleans up pretty quick too.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am not sure what you mean by small jobs. I have an airless HV LP gun I use for small things like tables, chairs, molding, and cabinets. I have painted cabinets in place and didn't need more than a 6" tape off and didn't need all of that. Cleans up pretty quick too.

By small jobs I mean a door, a wall, maybe a whole room, things like that. I'm trying to do some remodeling on my house and have to do it small sections at a time, thus no big paint jobs. I don't really mind rolling walls and ceilings but painting doors and trim with a sprayer would be a big time saver, and make a better looking finish.

I also have an expensive Binks HVLP for a compressor but I don't think it's made to shoot latex.

Rick

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    By small jobs I mean a door, a wall, maybe a whole room, things like that. I'm trying to do some remodeling on my house and have to do it small sections at a time, thus no big paint jobs. I don't really mind rolling walls and ceilings but painting doors and trim with a sprayer would be a big time saver, and make a better looking finish.

I also have an expensive Binks HVLP for a compressor but I don't think it's made to shoot latex.

Rick

I sprayed all of my doors but, I did use an Alkyd oil base as well as moldings. I used it to spray Latex on tables, dog water thing, and several other things. I wouldn't try it on a wall... not enough capacity. The do make one you can drop in a paint can...not sure what you are looking to spend...those are a little high. I would have to weight how much it would be used.

Top Bottom