• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Their primary concern was getting the weapon off the street.
    The motivation being damage control. They do have to account for the loss of a 'machine gun' too the BATF. Also if the gun gets used in a crime they will really get some very bad publicity.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    The motivation being damage control. They do have to account for the loss of a 'machine gun' too the BATF. Also if the gun gets used in a crime they will really get some very bad publicity.

That is pretty much it. Most likely, this particular weapon was acquired through the DoD 1033 program and the ECSD is fully responsible for it while it is in their custody. Having a weapon like this stolen and on the streets is a major concern in several ways.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Place weapon(s) in case. Lock car. Carry weapons inside and have a good night's sleep. Reverse in morning.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The sheriff dept. deputy that lives across the street from me has his M4 and shotgun in a "rack". It has a sliding bar that goes thru both trigger guards. Without going into too much detail,the whole setup looks pretty secure.
    Another deputy that I know has a similar setup in his Tahoe. Both of these vechicles have a locked metal box where they store their loaded mags and ammo. ---- SAWMAN

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Sheriff Morgan runs a PSA on WCOA. In it he identifies himself as a life member of the NRA and a "proud" gun owner. He goes on to request the public "never" leave a gun in a vehicle and "never" leave your vehicle unlocked even at home. In summation he again identifies himself as the sheriff and asks the listening audience for their "assistance". I applaud the sheriff's PSA and 100% agree with the request. However, I would like to hear what action if any the sheriff intends to take regarding his personnel that are responsible for this debacle (SNAFU). I know this must be embarrassing for the sheriff. IMO To leave potentially dangerous property not your own in a vehicle not your own overnight is beyond lazy and irresponsible. It is stupid beyond comprehension. You would think that the officer responsible would have enough muscle memory available even if exhausted after a long hard shift leaving an unattended vehicle in this condition would not compute and would "never" happen. As owners of said property and part of the responsible public the sheriff is talking to in his PSA I would like to know that steps are being taken so this doesn't become a common occurrence in our community. I think the sheriff owes us this.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Please email him your above and kindly post his response.
    You should also ask him,how many of his deputies leave a firearm in their police vechicle when they park it at the end of their shift. --- SAWMAN

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FWIW: LE bail out into foot persuit often without securing doors. Racks normally require ignition switch power but Trunk/hatch compartments have manual releases. Who is watching the hen house then?

Timbo229

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    There is a policy in place requiring all weapons to be removed at the end of a deputies shift regardless of any locking devices or boxes. They have done test of their own on the rack system and lock boxes and found that they can be defeated. My personal opinion is that all firearms should be secured within your home(safe)and not left in a vehicle. I have seen way to many times a home owner is confronted with their own gun by merely going outside to get an item out of their car and interrupt a bad guy. So for me personally mine is on my hip or in the safe.

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Also note that a good number of the Gov't provided "Full Auto" M4 lowers are often converted to SA fire only by department armorers. Not sure what ECSO does but I know others do this to some of the weapons. I'm sure it's more for liability of Mark 1 Mod 0 cop getting into a fight and inadvertently or stupidly using FA fire when they are likely not trained how or when to use it.

Glad they got the weapon back. Hope the officer and agency learned something. I know it's tough bringing your guns in every day, but the rest of us have to do it too.

Top Bottom