• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Is anyone here familiar with this cartridge? I just came into possession of a considerable amount of the 8x50 Lebel ammo (along with other calibers, old reloading equip, etc. still sorting it out). Some is old surplus in plastic bags (some in quantities of 20, with a paper insert written in German), and some in string tied paper 8-packs dated 1946 and 1947. One is dated 1938. Several of the 5-round clips are included. Some of the ammo is more modern commercial, and some are obvious reloads formed from 348 Winchester cases.

I've done a bit of research and learned the ammo is pretty scarce, but does anyone care anymore? Here is a pic of one of the wrapped 8-packs. Also in the pic is one of the 10-packs (dated 1890) that was in the same box with the rest of this caliber, but I don't know for sure that it's even the same type ammo. I'm not looking to sell it here...I know there is a proper place for that in this forum, I'm just wondering if anyone here has any information on this caliber and current popularity. Thanks.

Lebel.jpg

Attachments

• Lebel.jpg
      Lebel.jpg
      50.3 KB · Views: 152

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do not know what your end question is Mon ami, but it would be desirable to someone who owns a lebel rifle..

Some issues with surplus French Ammo is that lots of the Primers have died and if you want to shoot them you can do the old trick of warming them up for a few hours or just pull them..

Another issue is that through the many years of the Lebel rifle the French changed the ammo and resized the rifles to accept the new ammo..

So you have to marry up the correct rifle round with the correct rifle modification.. Its not as bad as it sounds but it is a consideration.

Personally I have given up on French surplus because if you just buy PPU Lebel ammo it is loaded to work in all guns..

But French ammo is fun to collect, I would love to see one of the German Inserts. perhaps you can post a photo. The Germans captured lots of Lebel (guns and ammo) for occupation troops.

Again for me the ammo is so unreliable that its in the collectors status and usually people at shows want prices that rival or exceed PPU prices..

There is a lot of French Lebel ammo you see that was loaded into stip clips for their Hotchkiss machine guns.. I have talked to people who have shot them with out issue, I have never been so lucky. But those rounds are usually a little hotter and usually have the later bullets..

The wrapped ammo would be great for a collector.

The clips over the last few years have gone up in price, and people want to shoot the old french rifles again...and they are making repros of them..

Attachments

• getthem.jpg
      getthem.jpg
      33.4 KB · Views: 131
    • forflag.jpg
      forflag.jpg
      109.8 KB · Views: 131

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I'm not sure what the end question was either, other than a quest for info such as you provided...thanks. Seems the brown 10-pack might actually be 8mm Kropacheck wood tipped/blank ammo but I haven't verified that info yet.

Here is a pic of the paper label. I "assume" (we all know what that can do) it's german due to the umlauts.
    lebel 2.jpg

Attachments

• lebel 2.jpg
      lebel 2.jpg
      19.3 KB · Views: 130
    Last edited:

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That "german" ammo is most likely post war repackage ammo from Machine gun strips.. That ammo is just distributed by a german company...

The Germans did make 8mm lebel during occupation, but this ammo would most likely be steel cased..

I do not know what that will do??????

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Thanks for the info, "indy." The German bags contain brass-cased ammo on clips. Bullets are silver in color, magnetic and although originally pointed, they have had the noses clipped blunt, as I have read was sometimes done although I don't understand the reason. All-in-all I must have 300+ rounds (mostly surplus and some later commercial) and maybe a dozen or so of the clips. I'm not sure what I'll do with it but I really do appreciate your replies.

edited to add: "assume" makes an ass of u & me ;)

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bullets are silver in color, magnetic and although originally pointed, they have had the noses clipped blunt, as I have read was sometimes done although I don't understand the reason.

My guess is that this way you can use that ammo in an 1886 lebel tube and not have the ammo set off a tube explosion.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That ammo is worth something to somebody that has the rifles to go with it. The forgotten weapons guy Ian loves french rifles and has a lot of youtube and full30 videos devoted to french rifles.
    I just noticed the other day that I have 303 british ammo no rifle. Probably need to trade it off to a friend.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I got a bunch of 303 British in the same "collection" too, including a 1945-dated bandolier of 50 rounds . No rifle here, either.

Top Bottom