• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I’m not going to mention any names but I was in a shop today and their display is terrible.
    The glass cases are low, you have to bend over to see and there is no lighting.
    I will buy a gun at the drop of a hat and I saw several that interested me........I think but I couldn’t tell for sure and I’m not going to ask to see every gun in the case. This shop would do a lot more business if their guns were displayed better.
    If you want to see a shop that displays their guns the right way, go to that newer shop on Hwy 90 in Milton, just west of Avalon. They’ve got it going on.
    As for the other shop, I won’t be back. No need. I can’t see what they are selling.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    PRIDE !! You must be proud of the product that you sell.
    THEN !! You have to market it and display it like you feel about it.
    If you do not do this,it shows right away. People can tell right away.
    Take a look at one of the more famous jewlery shops. None of their lighting is yellow. It is all a very bright white'ish blue. Their display cases clearly have been designed to entice the potential buyer.
    A good gun shop will do the same thing but somewhat modified for their product. The new Gander Outdoors is a good example. Firearms are not jumbled together. They are (IMO) well displayed. They make you want to look at them and touch/hold them. --- SAWMAN

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree with that observation...common in many displays...too low, too many guns deep and seemingly always a bunch of people standing in front of the display talking, visiting and waiting for something...blocking the display case. Sometimes when I've wanted to speak to a salesperson, they are engaged with a customer for way too long, side tracked on a conversation and when they are done, they forget I've been circling for the last 10 minutes and leave or start with a different customer.

No matter, most of my purchases are online now. There are a couple of online gun sites that almost always represent the best price...only difference is sales tax vs ffl charge. I like window shopping too but just don't do that much anymore. Once you discover the sites that offer low cost ammo, reloading supplies and firearms there is no need to go to a brick and mortar store

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I actually told the clerk and he said “we do the best we can.”
    Honestly, they could invest a couple thousand $ in new cabinets and their sales would multiply.
    The place is a junk shop.

purple

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A good Display is a great and advert and that brings about appeal and more customers. people can't buy what they can't see. if the place is well secured i dont know why they won't have great displays. like someone said, feedback could help them do it right.

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Small gun shops, run by sole proprietors, are going to be limited by their own imagination and experience. Larger chain stores will be limited by what the chain desires, but will tend to have better lay outs. "doing the best we can" is an interesting reply...I don't know what I'd expect them to say, but the point of as proper layout/display adding to sales is absolute truth! As a generalization, there are two kinds of customers...one attracted by aesthetics (good looking, visually pleasing) and the other that is going to be driven and influenced by performance/perceived value....both types of customers must be able to see and sample the merchandise or they will be turned off. Displays, advertising, service, attentive but not over-bearing customer service and the all important value...that is what sets a store apart...at least once the potential customer enters the store.

A wise man once told me that "relationships by you volume, not price". In my years, I have to agree with this assertion. The people that I like doing business with will always get my first look...and if they are trying to earn my business, they will get my last look. I will not pay $650 for a $600 firearm because I "like" them. I might pay $605 for availability, convenience and service but that is an individual decision. My purchasing habits are such that if I want something, I want it so I buy it. I will look for the best price I can find, but availability means a lot to me so once I find it, I will not try to squeeze a few bucks out of a vendor for sake of doing it... I will not pay a price that can be easily beaten.

For those who haven't done it, Internet purchasing is the way to to go for low prices...I don't know if that will continue but today, Amazon, Grab a Gun, Bud's, Extreme, LAX, Freedom Munitions, etc are the way to go. Stores like Dicks, Academy, Bass Pro, Cabelas etc are guaranteed to overcharge. In many areas, there is a store (autos are like this) where to owner subscribes to a philosophy of volume over margin. Those places will almost always have the best prices. In my area, that is Bobby's Gun store in Brewton is that place...small store with aggressive pricing and good to deal with.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bass Pro is stupid. I have gone in a couple of times know what I want money in hand only to leave with nothing because only salesmen is having a 30 minute conversation with someone who obviously is not buying anything. They are not doing it to be nice to other person but because they do not want to the paperwork involved in a sale.

aknavy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Small gun shops, run by sole proprietors, are going to be limited by their own imagination and experience. Larger chain stores will be limited by what the chain desires, but will tend to have better lay outs. "doing the best we can" is an interesting reply...I don't know what I'd expect them to say, but the point of as proper layout/display adding to sales is absolute truth! As a generalization, there are two kinds of customers...one attracted by aesthetics (good looking, visually pleasing) and the other that is going to be driven and influenced by performance/perceived value....both types of customers must be able to see and sample the merchandise or they will be turned off. Displays, advertising, service, attentive but not over-bearing customer service and the all important value...that is what sets a store apart...at least once the potential customer enters the store.

A wise man once told me that "relationships by you volume, not price". In my years, I have to agree with this assertion. The people that I like doing business with will always get my first look...and if they are trying to earn my business, they will get my last look. I will not pay $650 for a $600 firearm because I "like" them. I might pay $605 for availability, convenience and service but that is an individual decision. My purchasing habits are such that if I want something, I want it so I buy it. I will look for the best price I can find, but availability means a lot to me so once I find it, I will not try to squeeze a few bucks out of a vendor for sake of doing it... I will not pay a price that can be easily beaten.

For those who haven't done it, Internet purchasing is the way to to go for low prices...I don't know if that will continue but today, Amazon, Grab a Gun, Bud's, Extreme, LAX, Freedom Munitions, etc are the way to go. Stores like Dicks, Academy, Bass Pro, Cabelas etc are guaranteed to overcharge. In many areas, there is a store (autos are like this) where to owner subscribes to a philosophy of volume over margin. Those places will almost always have the best prices. In my area, that is Bobby's Gun store in Brewton is that place...small store with aggressive pricing and good to deal with.

On this note, I was in a Pensacola gun shop last week, killing time while the wife was getting her nails done down the road, and checked out the new S&W 2.0. I liked it, but the price was full retail. Asked about a discount or price match, and was told no. I prefer buying local on alot of stuff, and will pay extra to do it, but not $250 extra.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I’ve bought my last dozen new guns on-line but there are always at least half a dozen vintage guns that I am on the lookout for and I will buy on the spot if the price is decent. This shop might have had one of them, no way to tell.
    Another pet peeve is when shops have the gun properly displayed but the price tag is turned over. I hate having to go down the case asking “what’s the price on that one?”

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    This is what this thread sounds like.....

I saw a $50,000 diamond ring at T&W flea market for $48,500 but since the floor was dirt, the lighting bad, and the display case was a few inches to low for me to get a good look at it I passed on it. So I went to that other jewelry store with excellent lighting, clean floor, raised cases, and got the exact same ring for only $52,500. That will teach that other store owner!!!!!

Just my observation... not bashing anybody.:ranger:

I got a friend that buys local guns and he pays around $50-65 more buying here in town and I constantly tell him about the current best online prices for the exact same gun and sometimes the online even has an extra mag or some other items. He still buys local and his excuse is he want to touch the item and see and feel it in his hand and actually see the EXACT gun he is getting not some surprise out of the box that might have some weird mark or finish imperfection or a different color wood stock than the online photo.

It is true that people will drop more $$$ when the store does these trick below:

sales scams that get you to spend more without realizing it.
    Color of signs, displays etc... lighting
    Music... slow music and your stay in store longer, fast music and you will move faster through the store
    Navigational paths, road blocks in the store or items placed deliberately in your way
    Displays that allow you to touch
    lifestyle theme displays to make you feel not alone in liking the item
    Add on items near your intended item of purchase
    shoppers look at items in the center of displays "and at eye level" more than the sides
    Smells will entice you to spend more by invoking good memories
    Constant moving of things in the store to make you "look" or "engage" with employees who will help make the sale or up sale you

I like looking at something in person too, with good lighting, and friendly sales staff but most time I just want the best deal as its so easy to get burnt on gun prices these days.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Your analogy does not apply to the point that I am making.
    My point is I don’t know what he had because I couldn’t see what he was selling. It’s not like I didn’t buy because the place wasn’t clean.
    I didn’t buy because I don’t know what he was selling.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have seen a mixed bag everywhere I have been stationed. I really enjoy the shops that enjoy firearms. I do not like the ones that see me as a "mark" when I walk thru the door and try to upsell me a RAS47 for $750 claiming "All American Quality"

I feel presentation is important but to me the best part is the knowledge coming from behind the counter. I can tell you I have purchased several items worth triple what I got them for because the young Zev, RMRd, AR 15 sleeve tattooed clerk did not have a clue about any firearm if it did not precede with AR in it.

On the flip side I love when a guy with real knowledge can tell me the ups and downs across multiple platforms and basically takes pride in his profession, not just think he is cool cause he gets to wear a gun on his hip.

But business is business I guess and to keep afloat I suppose they have to deal with the lowest common denominator sometimes which includes ignorant people with money to burn on overpriced, underquality firearms.

Same can be said for many a "gunsmith" these days. "If it aint an AR15 then I dunno what to do with it."

Egordon71

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don’t want to buy a gun that’s cabled to a wall and been finger
    Fu$&ed by every wannabe commando in Santa Rosa Co lol..

BowChamp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    This is what this thread sounds like.....

I saw a $50,000 diamond ring at T&W flea market for $48,500 but since the floor was dirt, the lighting bad, and the display case was a few inches to low for me to get a good look at it I passed on it. So I went to that other jewelry store with excellent lighting, clean floor, raised cases, and got the exact same ring for only $52,500. That will teach that other store owner!!!!!

Just my observation... not bashing anybody.:ranger:

I got a friend that buys local guns and he pays around $50-65 more buying here in town and I constantly tell him about the current best online prices for the exact same gun and sometimes the online even has an extra mag or some other items. He still buys local and his excuse is he want to touch the item and see and feel it in his hand and actually see the EXACT gun he is getting not some surprise out of the box that might have some weird mark or finish imperfection or a different color wood stock than the online photo.

It is true that people will drop more $$$ when the store does these trick below:

sales scams that get you to spend more without realizing it.
    Color of signs, displays etc... lighting
    Music... slow music and your stay in store longer, fast music and you will move faster through the store
    Navigational paths, road blocks in the store or items placed deliberately in your way
    Displays that allow you to touch
    lifestyle theme displays to make you feel not alone in liking the item
    Add on items near your intended item of purchase
    shoppers look at items in the center of displays "and at eye level" more than the sides
    Smells will entice you to spend more by invoking good memories
    Constant moving of things in the store to make you "look" or "engage" with employees who will help make the sale or up sale you

I like looking at something in person too, with good lighting, and friendly sales staff but most time I just want the best deal as its so easy to get burnt on gun prices these days.

This about sums it up.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    If it's been like that for 20 years it needs to be fixed. But at the same time if that's all they can do and they provide service and good pricing I always prefer local.

At first I figured you were talking about academy. Their gun cases and organization are the worst. Can't see anything. It's all jumbled. Gander has a nice set up. Most pawn shops are decent. Tgd firearms setup isn't bad. I like the way gulf coast has their guns on the wall but I can see how some people want a fresh one out of the box. You can always suggest you'd like to order one after handling or go find it somewhere else after you hold it. Lots of options.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    A couple of you still don’t understand what I’m saying. I do not care how dirty the store is or how bad the display is IF I CAN SEE THE GUNS THAT ARE FOR SALE.
    The display cases are low and very dark.
    I have lower back problems so I cannot bend down for long. My eyesight is not what it used to be.
    If the cases were illuminated, I could see what was for sale.
    All I am saying is this shop would greatly increase sales if their display was viewable.
    And Academy has a great display compared to this shop.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    A couple of you still don’t understand what I’m saying. I do not care how dirty the store is or how bad the display is IF I CAN SEE THE GUNS THAT ARE FOR SALE.
    The display cases are low and very dark.
    I have lower back problems so I cannot bend down for long. My eyesight is not what it used to be.
    If the cases were illuminated, I could see what was for sale.
    All I am saying is this shop would greatly increase sales if their display was viewable.
    And Academy has a great display compared to this shop.

i cant think of any place thats worse than academy. i literally get down on my hands and knees to look at the bottom shelf there and at times ive just looked up the price on academy.com while standing there because its hard to see a price, even harder when there is a yellow tag for clearance or on sale.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I don’t want to buy a gun that’s cabled to a wall and been finger
    Fu$&ed by every wannabe commando in Santa Rosa Co lol..

I finger bang almost all of them at that place , and the used ones I’ve asked to take down, break down and dry fire.
    I’m like a dog peeing in every mailbox.

Someone pointed out to me tradewinds is probably the worse. I swear I’ve seen pistols stacked on top each other before.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Ever "audition" a gunshop when you first walk in ?? I do this all the time if the shop and/or the sales person is new to me. ESPECIALLY a damn girl with long stuck on fingernails and flapy eyelashes.
    Although . . . there are/were a couple sweeties working at Scott's in Jay that are/were extremely knowledgeable.
    I figured being that close to where jj lives,he musta trained them.
    If you were gonna "audition" a gunshop,ask them questions that made you feel that they knew their products,what would you ask them ?? --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom