• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hello fellow firearm enthusiasts. As fate would have it I ended up keeping my SOCOM 16 that has been collecting dust in the safe for a good while now. I’ve since taken it out and messed with it a bit and am happy it ended up not trading.

There is more than enough info out there on history and platform operating system etc. So I’m just going to ramble about my personal thoughts on the rifle, take it worth a grain of salt.

As currently configured I have my 16 dressed in a surplus m14 stock with aluminum handguard. I believe it is walnut. I removed the scout rail. It basically looks like a chopped down M14.

OP guide rod, spring, gas piston, mag catch and bolt release have been upgraded with SADLAK components. How much of an improvement in grouping I have yet to see since I still have to get this pup on a rest and see how she groups. Though standing unsupported I have no trouble hitting cans or clay pigeons at approx 25m. Not a measure of accuracy but still confidence inspiring.

At just over 37in with a 16in barrel this guy packs a punch. Conscious proper shoulder pocket placement and applying the fundamentals keep punishment to a minimum and follow up shots fairly quick.

To that end the irons are not NM. The front blade is thick enough to house the tritium vial it comes from the factory with and the single rear aperture is .375 I think? Anyhow even a guy with eye problems or injuries can pick up a clear sight picture using these sights. To compare it is easier for me than an AR iron sights on the distance aperature. That’s just me though.

Springfield has a proprietary muzzle brake built into the rifle that does a good job taming the climb but not the flash.

Overall fit and finish is remarkable. I rarely like American mfg because of poor mfg process, metallurgy, or just sub standard products but IMO Springfield Armory is still churning out some quality rifles. Machining is awesome, finish durable and even, parts fit as if they were hand fitted.

I’m curious as to the barrel still as all I can find is that it is a carbon steel barrel. I guess I’ll just have to see how it wears over time.

I put some Tula steel and a bunch of brass threw it. So far it has chewed on everything fed. The action is robust to say the least and would hate to get my finger caught in there.

I have a ton of extras for this thing including a really nice receiver scope mount. I am lacking the glass to put on it. Quality deserves quality and I am still debating on what to throw on there. Not planning on plinking at much past 400m so that narrows it down. With irons I am confident I could nail a 300m man sized tgt no problem. The stock irons are just that nice.

I can see why these still go for 1.5k. More than worth it for a reliable semi auto 308 in such a compact size. Proven action and round, all in a compact package. If you ever get a chance to handle one or better yet fire one jump on it. You will either have to have it on the spot or at least know it’s not for you.

This little guy makes an awesome camping gun or ranch gun. Has that overbuilt feel to it that won’t make you worried if you bang it up or beat it up in the bush. Pics to follow for fun. Thanks all

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Few pics for us gun nerds

Attachments

• 8FD4A1CC-AE93-4551-B7FF-F74D1C365216.jpg
      8FD4A1CC-AE93-4551-B7FF-F74D1C365216.jpg
      66.1 KB · Views: 221
    • 10DEC99F-AFA5-4E83-A29F-15E602105444.jpg
      10DEC99F-AFA5-4E83-A29F-15E602105444.jpg
      149.8 KB · Views: 219
    • 0EB3963E-52C0-44F9-AA1B-75046B2DD0F1.jpg
      0EB3963E-52C0-44F9-AA1B-75046B2DD0F1.jpg
      163.9 KB · Views: 228
    • 21451035-E3B6-4786-BDB9-FC6F0DBC729E.jpg
      21451035-E3B6-4786-BDB9-FC6F0DBC729E.jpg
      158.3 KB · Views: 207
    • B592F46B-E5CD-48F4-9805-8D6F0D20D658.jpeg
      B592F46B-E5CD-48F4-9805-8D6F0D20D658.jpeg
      40.9 KB · Views: 213

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Soooooo . . . we talking the M14 "tanker" ?? --- SAWMAN

Hi Sawman, I don’t think I would put this in the same class as a “tanker” build. I think maybe cause there isn’t much customization that went into the SOCOM 16 from the Springfield folks unlike a good tanker build.
    JJs tanker rifles are pretty awesome and in a class their own I think. This is just a shorty M1A.
    I guess you lose some of that long range accuracy that big bro has but I rarely get to shoot far enough to take advantage anyway. But man as a ranch/camp gun this is hard to beat. Classic American rifle style and action, round speaks for itself. No pistol grip or rails to muck about with. This may turn me away from commie guns for a while lol.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Watching "The Pacific War In Color" right now. Great shots of the Garand's,BAR's,M1 Carbine's,and 1911's. How the guys carried them and used them also. --- SAWMAN

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Red your’s is a thing of beauty to me and would be a great all round brush gun, one that if you stepped out into a clearing and saw a massive rack on a buck 300 or 400 yards away you could take a shot without having to hold 4’ over him like you would with a 30/30 Win. and watch him fall as long as the shooter did their part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks Mark, God willing with retirement coming soon I will have the time and freedom to realize that dream. And hopefully my eyesight doesn’t get worse lol.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My longest shot with my Garand was about 250 yards on a running buck that was jumping over downed trees and ducking under others and I thought I had missed until I walked out to where I had last seen him and there he lay about 6’ back from where his line of tracks were headed. It helped that I had what I was told were competition peep sights the rear was a small diameter (1/8”) while the front was a thinner blade than most I’ve seen.
    With my sling tight wrapped around my arm and elbow 6” groups at 200 yards standing were easy but that was over 30 years ago. Supposedly it was set up for 1000 yard matches but I was lied to about getting first chance if he ever got rid of it so if they lie once you realize you might not know how many times they’ve lied

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom