• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    With deer season about to get underway...I would just like to mention that there may be some new regulations in regards to transporting whole animals across state lines....might want to check that out.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I thought FL was de-boned only if coming from a state with reported CWD.
    I thought AL,GA is de-boned only

Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You're right Jester here is the current rules from FL Fish and Wildlife

It is illegal to bring into Florida the carcass of any cervid (deer, elk or moose) from 25 states and two Canadian provinces where CWD has been detected. At this time, CWD has been detected in Arkansas, Colorado, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, and the Canadian provinces of Saskatchewan and Alberta.
    Hunters can bring back de-boned meat from any CWD-affected state, as well as finished taxidermy mounts, hides, skulls, antlers and teeth as long as all soft tissue has been removed. Hunters can also bring back whole, bone-in carcasses and parts harvested in states without CWD.

It is illegal to bring live cervids into Florida, from any state. This rule was put into place in 2013 to further protect Florida’s wild and captive deer herds.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Is everyone ready for the 2018/2019 season ??
    Heavy with acorns at my club this year. Got two huge wild pecans in the bottom next to my plot.
    My primary gun will be my RARR chambered in 300BLK with a 2-7x32 Zeiss Terra. Will use the 110gr Barnes TX-TAC (black tips) at 2350fps.
    Secondary will be my Benelli MR-1 chambered in 223Rem with a Leupold 3-9X40 VX-R shooting a 55gr Barnes TSX at 3120fps.
    Good luck to all. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• DSC00986.JPG
      DSC00986.JPG
      405.9 KB · Views: 221

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Here it is Jerry.
    Can't remember the Lat/Lon but got it written down somewhere. It is so deep in the woods that only me and Elizabeth Warren know exactly where it is.
    She knows more about it than me . . you know . . being an Native American and all. Hope this helps. ---- SAWMAN

Attachments

• 1502843291196.jpg
      1502843291196.jpg
      740.2 KB · Views: 268

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    OK SAWMAN.
    I think I'll call Elizabeth, after all, we have so much in common. Last I checked I'm more Indian than she is. I drive a jeep CHEROKEE! Makes me 1/90,000,000,000 to the millionth power Cherokee. Or so my grandma said.
    But, good hunting just the same!

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Almost ready. Got my night gun to sight in with thermal. Looks like Monday will be sunny to get the sighting in done. I always take a night gun, as every year my brother has requests for me to try and get something causing problems. It mostly does not work out, but I have fun trying. This year it is a front yard with armadillos and property with a boar hog hitting feeders day and night. Last year it was a horse ranch with hogs eating from horse feeders...plenty of hog sign, but no hogs while I was there.

This year my brother has a wide spread 8 point he would like me to take. I suspect the buck will not show until the day after I leave to go home.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm a hunter first, shooter second... we get after em with the stick and string. My buddy and I had a good hunt sunday evening.
    b06ce5c3b364d7bd3deb8051284e5b96.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    that should fill a freezer

rifle season opened last weekend and I haven't had a chance to go...Franklins and I have been hanging out a lot

Last edited:

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Heading to the Lease tomorrow in an effort to be ready for the open of gun season. Got a late start this year but hopefully will be able to get everything ready in the next couple of weekends!

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Got an 8 pt today. Not the big 8 pt my brother had in mind for me, but I am happy. Saw 10 deer this morning and 10 deer this afternoon. Watched various does fighting, so that was fun and just as good as actually shooting. Doe season opens tomorrow. Brother asked me to not shoot bucks of 4 points or less...figures it might be easier for a guest he has coming that has ever hunted deer to get one of those. Have seen spikes to 3 points every day. Pic when I get home.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Coming home from my Georgia hunt. One 8 pt, one 7 pt, and one big doe, just as big as the bucks. Saw lots of deer. Starting with my first trip to the stand to the last trip, I saw 6, 1, 10, 10, 2, 5, & 4 deer. If I saw the same deer more than once at a given trip, I only counted the deer as 1. The biggest buck did not stay long enough to shoot or count points.

The two 10 deer trips were in the same day. Morning was a few hours inbetween rain showers and afternoon between rain showers with drizzle here and there.

Probably my last Georgia hunt as my brother is selling and moving to Utah.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sounds like a good trip! Must have been north of here somewhere for doe days. Hunting in Utah might be nice :)

120# doe is a trophy to me :D

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Scale was broken at the processor, but the owner and his cleaner estimated the doe at 150 or close to that. I don’t know about that, but it took both my brother and I to load her in the truck.

Good deer season in north Georgia...several processors have stopped taken in deer and hogs today.

Last edited:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    if she was the size of your bucks it wouldn't surprise me if she wasn't. A 125# deer might be cumbersome to load by yourself. :)

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    View attachment 68766 fullsizeoutput_41b0.jpg fullsizeoutput_41b3.jpeg IMG_0029.JPG

Me with little rack 8 pt. 98yd shot, Ruger SR556 Takedown in 300 Blackout, Barnes 110gr black tip bullet, double lung shot. Little rack fits inside the 7 pt's rack. Spotted downed deer with thermal.

7 pt. 140yd shot, RARR 300 Blackout, Barnes 110gr black tip bullet, angle shot entered through left lung and bullet stopped just under skin at right shoulder. Expanded bullet lost 2 petals and is shown above. Blood on deer was not where he was shot, neither was the entrance hole visible. Did not find him with thermal, but spotted him in a depression.

Big doe, not shown, 118yd shot, 6.5 Grendel with Hornady 123gr SST bullet. Hit right shoulder, smashed bone, but then bullet went low and to the left, and out the left chest. I had expected the bullet to go straight through both shoulders and drop the deer, as I waited for a perfect broadside shot, but she ran 90yd before dropping. Found her with thermal.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_41b0.jpg
      fullsizeoutput_41b0.jpg
      249.3 KB · Views: 176
    • IMG_0029.JPG
      IMG_0029.JPG
      1.2 MB · Views: 183
    • fullsizeoutput_41b3.jpeg
      fullsizeoutput_41b3.jpeg
      3.2 KB · Views: 181
    Last edited:

Latest posts