HD Tactical

Where to live in 850 and shoot guns in the backyard?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hatch

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hello all,
    I grew up in the Navarre area, left for work, coming back for a new job in Niceville. Thinking about moving to the Mossy Head area, planning on purchasing at least a few acres and want to set up a decent 100 yd outdoor range. Is there anything to avoid in regards to ordinances once you're away from the cities? (Crestview, Defuniak, etc)

Also, hows the traffic on 285 these days?

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I live in Dorcus just off 393 and drive 285 every day. The traffic isn't horrible, it is heavier than previous years and getting worse though. I shoot in my front yard, back yard side yard as do many of my neighbors. We've been out here 10 years and love it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Hatch

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I live in Dorcus just off 393 and drive 285 every day. The traffic isn't horrible, it is heavier than previous years and getting worse though. I shoot in my front yard, back yard side yard as do many of my neighbors. We've been out here 10 years and love it.

Awesome, good to know!

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I’m seeing several properties within 10 miles of Mossy Head, some are even in Crestview that could work and do not appear to be in the corporate city limits governed by Sec. 54-3.
    Outside of those limits, you’re under Fl statute 790.15, which would allow you to shoot within the confines of your property.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’m seeing several properties within 10 miles of Mossy Head, some are even in Crestview that could work and do not appear to be in the corporate city limits governed by Sec. 54-3.
    Outside of those limits, you’re under Fl statute 790.15, which would allow you to shoot within the confines of your property.

Please what is 'Sec. 54-3'.
    I understand the Gov Scott sign into law
    Surrounded by a group of police chiefs, Gov. Rick Scott signed into law a measure dubbed the “backyard range” bill, intended to restrict the recreational discharge of a firearm in certain residential areas.

The proposal was one of nine that Scott signed into law Wednesday.

The backyard range measure (SB 130) prohibits the recreational discharge of a firearm outdoors, including for target shooting or celebratory shooting, in primarily residential areas with a density of one or more dwelling units per acre. A violation would be a first-degree misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine.

The bill, which goes into effect immediately, was backed by the Florida Police Chiefs Association, the National Rifle Association and the Unified Sportsmen of Florida.

http://www.srpressgazette.com/news/20160224/scott-signs-law-to-restrict-backyard-gun-ranges
    By News Service of Florida
    Posted Feb 24, 2016 at 5:18 PM

Surrounded by a group of
    We do have someone that has acreage that likes to fire magazine after magazine at 2 AM waking up every body. He is a distance away. but rifle shots are loud. I hear in another incident that he while shooting at something on water managed to hit the eaves of a neighbors house.
    The point being some people are quite irresponsible spoiling it for everyone. I am in Pace, fl. I fire an occasional shot to kill things, but any test firing or target shooting is not done out doors on my place.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Please what is 'Sec. 54-3'.
    54-3 basically you can’t launch projectiles of any kind, inside the incorporated city, unless in defense.
    Id need to look further into this bill you mention, but from skimming, I gather that zoning restrictions could serve as loose guidelines.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    54-3 basically you can’t launch projectiles of any kind, inside the incorporated city, unless in defense.
    Id need to look further into this bill you mention, but from skimming, I gather that zoning restrictions could serve as loose guidelines.
    For state of Florida laws they all start with 790.
    I did find this
    790.15 Discharging firearm in public or on residential property.
    (4) Any person who recreationally discharges a firearm outdoors, including target shooting, in an area that
    the person knows or reasonably should know is primarily residential in nature and that has a residential
    density of one or more dwelling units per acre, commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as
    provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. This subsection does not apply:

(b) If, under the circumstances, the discharge does not pose a reasonably foreseeable risk to life, safety, or
    property; or
    (c) To a person who accidentally discharges a firearm.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is what I have, but I do have people with less than an acre bordering me. I also have people with acreage on my other borders. So I am not really sure if it is alright to target shoot on my place. I am in Pace near a creek.

Capture.jpg

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
      Capture.jpg
      280.1 KB · Views: 430

Hatch

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Great discussion, thanks for including some statute numbers. That'll give me somewhere to start looking for solid info. Got some contacts in LE that might be able to clear it up. (Or muddy it further, if it's one of those legalese things)

BSmitty

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    great discussion. I've been planning on investing in some property in the future in the country. Would be nice to have a range set up

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Depending on your job/financial situation it also my be worth looking along county road 2 north of Mossy head in the now defunct Walton Estates that never got off the ground, also possibly Paxton or just across the state line near florala or Samson.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Depending on your job/financial situation it also my be worth looking along county road 2 north of Mossy head in the now defunct Walton Estates that never got off the ground, also possibly Paxton or just across the state line near florala or Samson.

If you’re going to look for a place in Alabama stay away from any cities they all have an extra tax plus the state tax
    North Okaloosa and North Walton are where you have a better chance of finding a good deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you’re going to look for a place in Alabama stay away from any cities they all have an extra tax plus the state tax
    North Okaloosa and North Walton are where you have a better chance of finding a good deal

Even with the extra sales tax Alabama is still a significant amount cheaper cost of living that North Okaloosa or Walton. We buy all of our groceries in Samson and on average save about 30% over buying in Crestview. We buy our gas in Florala and save on average 30 cents a gallon. A friend just bought 5 acres a few miles outside Samson for about 40% the cost he could find similar properties near me in Okaloosa and Walton counties.

Hatch

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Oh how's cell service there? I have Verizon..

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Even with the extra sales tax Alabama is still a significant amount cheaper cost of living that North Okaloosa or Walton. We buy all of our groceries in Samson and on average save about 30% over buying in Crestview. We buy our gas in Florala and save on average 30 cents a gallon. A friend just bought 5 acres a few miles outside Samson for about 40% the cost he could find similar properties near me in Okaloosa and Walton counties.

We also do a lot of shopping in Alabama. Living in Baker gas is bought in Wing (17 miles) unless the wife is grocery shopping then it’s either Brewton, Andalusia or Samson depending on what she’s got on her mind

Hatch

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gotcha, good info about Alabama! I knew gas was cheaper, surprised to hear about groceries too.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We also do a lot of shopping in Alabama. Living in Baker gas is bought in Wing (17 miles) unless the wife is grocery shopping then it’s either Brewton, Andalusia or Samson depending on what she’s got on her mind

Yeah I get gas in Wing on my way home from CORE usually.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can tell you that AT&T is pretty useless in NE Walton county. No signal at all on my land near Darlington. Verizon works fine and we're switching soon.
    use to use a tracfone with an AT&T carrier and it would not work even in my house. Now I use verizon and it works most every where for me.

Top Bottom