DK Firearms

Where to live in 850 and shoot guns in the backyard?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    use to use a tracfone with an AT&T carrier and it would not work even in my house. Now I use verizon and it works most every where for me.
    That's the weird thing. My daughter had at&t and couldn't use it at my house. I have straight talk (TracFone owned) that uses at&t towers and get maxed out on 4g.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    AT&T fades out about 5-6 miles north of Baker. Use to have Southern Linc which was the only phone service that worked up around the Alabama state line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I live about 2 miles from Wing in Escambia Farms and gas in Wing is 2.52 then in Baker at The Ritz is 2.99.....crazy difference. Alabama is a little bit cheaper on goods but their taxes are a few pennies more then FL. Properties are cheaper in AL but when ever you buy land, the more you buy the cheaper it is... I have my own range and shoot quite a bit, only time nearby folks have shown concern is when I set off some tannerite!!! hahaha

My cell phone works at the house but I also have a booster...

Hope you find something that suits your fancy!

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jason - may I ask which one you got? Some of them are quite pricey and I don't want to waste any money right now. Thanks a lot man.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My post about buying outside of Alabama city limits was about their personal property taxes that each city imposed. Wife’s aunt and uncle sold their home and moved outside city limits to get away from the personal property taxes. This is all second hand info but I believed them. The extra sales taxes are one thing but being taxed on your cars and other belongings is something else
    Any member who lives in an Alabama city can let me and everyone else know if I’ve been misled about the personal property taxes, I would actually like to know for sure as I’m looking at moving across the line up around Wing,Al.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jason - may I ask which one you got? Some of them are quite pricey and I don't want to waste any money right now. Thanks a lot man.

All that it says on it is Samsung... We got it probably 3 years ago from Verizon (our cell carrier)...

pawpaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you purchase 5+ acres, and set up a responsible range, there are NO laws in Florida precluding this. Florida recently took back it's right to pre-empt all municipal and county ordinances as null and void, and put teeth behind it, allowing the governor to remove any official(s) who intentionally violate this- along with outlining your right to sue civilly, and to preclude officials from using tax-payer funds to defend. The law had been on the books since 1987, but provided no penalties for non-compliance by authorities, creating a patch-work quilt of of local B.S., allowing your rights to vary as you crossed each county line or city limit. My three closest municipalities used to have " Discharge of firearms within city limits" ordinances on the books, but no longer do.
    I had to send a letter to the city of Crestview, who were initially reluctant to come around. The next month, I checked their ordinances online at their website, and it was removed.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you purchase 5+ acres, and set up a responsible range, there are NO laws in Florida precluding this. Florida recently took back it's right to pre-empt all municipal and county ordinances as null and void, and put teeth behind it, allowing the governor to remove any official(s) who intentionally violate this- along with outlining your right to sue civilly, and to preclude officials from using tax-payer funds to defend. The law had been on the books since 1987, but provided no penalties for non-compliance by authorities, creating a patch-work quilt of of local B.S., allowing your rights to vary as you crossed each county line or city limit. My three closest municipalities used to have " Discharge of firearms within city limits" ordinances on the books, but no longer do.
    I had to send a letter to the city of Crestview, who were initially reluctant to come around. The next month, I checked their ordinances online at their website, and it was removed.
    '
    This is indeed great news. Can you provide more detail about number or title of these laws. I really do want to research it. Especially the reasonable range part of it.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, there was that huge kibosh in the Gulf Breeze woodlands recently, where a guy had
    his own shooting range for literally decades...until a bunch of liberals moved into the area
    and started complaining about the gunshots regularly heard.

Kind of like those bungholes around the EMRL range who moved there, knowing there
    was a range there, but complained anyway. I've always looked upon the less fortuntate
    with a kind eye, except liberal anti-gunners. They deserve every bad thing they get.

I have no idea what the final status of the Gulf Breeze shooter and his range were.
    IIRC think he got some silencers and built bigger berms...

Heck, I lived in Ranchettes and used to could walk into the woods and bang away at targets
    all day in the 80's & 90's...have the feeling that doing that now would result in SRSO being
    called...lol

Recently was living on the backside of UWF, surrounded by woods, and could sit in the backyard
    and have some fun with targets, since the nearest folks were about 12 acres away...
    nobody ever complained. Kinda miss that place, but don't miss the mold ;)

Last edited:

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    All that it says on it is Samsung... We got it probably 3 years ago from Verizon (our cell carrier)...

I remember every time being at your place we would put our cell phones in your window sill in the kitchen so they would have signal. I'm on Verizon also and find that it works just about everywhere and I travel overseas alot also.

The booster you have probably this one? I remember you saying it connects to your internet...

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/network-extender/

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This seems to be current Florida law and some parts are not too clear. I bolded two parts where it sort of says no for residential areas and lso the one part that seems to say it might be ok. There is no mention of 5 acres in the law that I see. Perhaps there is more elsewhere.
    http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...tute&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.15.html
    The 2018 Florida Statutes

Title XLVI
    CRIMES

Chapter 790
    WEAPONS AND FIREARMS

View Entire Chapter
    790.15 Discharging firearm in public or on residential property.—
    (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) or subsection (3), any person who knowingly discharges a firearm in any public place or on the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street, who knowingly discharges any firearm over the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or over any occupied premises, or who recklessly or negligently discharges a firearm outdoors on any property used primarily as the site of a dwelling as defined in s. 776.013 or zoned exclusively for residential use commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. This section does not apply to a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm or to a person discharging a firearm on public roads or properties expressly approved for hunting by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or Florida Forest Service.
    (2) Any occupant of any vehicle who knowingly and willfully discharges any firearm from the vehicle within 1,000 feet of any person commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
    (3) Any driver or owner of any vehicle, whether or not the owner of the vehicle is occupying the vehicle, who knowingly directs any other person to discharge any firearm from the vehicle commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
    (4) Any person who recreationally discharges a firearm outdoors, including target shooting, in an area that the person knows or reasonably should know is primarily residential in nature and that has a residential density of one or more dwelling units per acre, commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. This subsection does not apply:
    (a) To a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm;
    (b) If, under the circumstances, the discharge does not pose a reasonably foreseeable risk to life, safety, or property; or
    (c) To a person who accidentally discharges a firearm.
    History.—s. 1, ch. 3289, 1881; RS 2683; GS 3626; RGS 5557; CGL 7743; s. 1, ch. 61-334; s. 745, ch. 71-136; s. 1, ch. 78-17; s. 1, ch. 89-157; s. 229, ch. 99-245; s. 77, ch. 2012-7; s. 3, ch. 2012-108; s. 1, ch. 2016-12.

pawpaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This seems to be current Florida law and some parts are not too clear. I bolded two parts where it sort of says no for residential areas and lso the one part that seems to say it might be ok. There is no mention of 5 acres in the law that I see. Perhaps there is more elsewhere.
    http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...tute&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.15.html
    No, there is nothing in the statute about 5+ acres- I picked that because Mossy Head area real estate properties just seem to be in the 2-10 acre range, ideal for the shooter's purpose...

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am enjoying this thread.
    Currently researching to move out of Clearwater/Largo Pinellas County to the Panhandle.
    This area is becoming too urban, too crowded, too regulated and I never get to shoot anymore - it is not fun nor cheap to go to an indoor gun range.

I have found Walton County to have the cheapest property taxes of the Panhandle with the greates number of Trump votes. ( Also why I want to abort Pinellas County: it was 50/50 for the evil Witch )

I am looking at 3-5 acres. Saw some good prices for undeveloped land between Crestview and Ponce de Leon.
    Ecambia property taxes were a bit higher but the price of land was cheaper at a superficial glance.

Finding work will also be a factor.
    The job market here is saturated and preference is given to minorities regardles of qualification, aka, the equal oportunity that isn't equal.

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Screenshot_2018-07-29-15-02-41.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-07-29-15-02-41.jpg
      Screenshot_2018-07-29-15-02-41.jpg
      253.3 KB · Views: 152
    Top Bottom