• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BSmitty

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    S&W shield .40 cracked slide, Warranty?

Cleaning my shield today and noticed that the slide was cracked. Hopefully I can send it to S&W and the warranty will cover it. Purchased in 2015. anyone have this happen or have any experience with S&W's warranty policies and process?

gun.jpeg

Attachments

• gun.jpeg
      gun.jpeg
      52.9 KB · Views: 318
    Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have you done a Web search to see if its been a problem before (few, many, recall)?

I recommend you Edit the title in "Advance" mode to include the Mfg, and model so other owners will catch it and check their pistols. This could also generate model specific feedback to you.

Material failure. Mfg will want the whole gun back to check other areas for damage.

BSmitty

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have you done a Web search to see if its been a problem before (few, many, recall)?

I recommend you Edit the title in "Advance" mode to include the Mfg, and model so other owners will catch it and check their pistols. This could also generate model specific feedback to you.

Material failure. Mfg will want the whole gun back to check other areas for damage.

I did some research. Looks like some others have had the slid crack and even break away in the same area from the milling being too thin in this area. Looks like the .40 has had more of these issues. Thanks for the advice. I will change the title.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Please keep and update a "journal" of your communications with S&W or others re. this problem.
    This includes phone numbers,who you talked to,in what department,dates/times,and a brief summary of what was said.
    This will help others here greatly if they have the same problem.
    Hope they take care of your problem to your satisfaction. --- SAWMAN

BSmitty

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Please keep and update a "journal" of your communications with S&W or others re. this problem.
    This includes phone numbers,who you talked to,in what department,dates/times,and a brief summary of what was said.
    This will help others here greatly if they have the same problem.
    Hope they take care of your problem to your satisfaction. --- SAWMAN

Thank you. Will update once I speak with S&W

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Smith & Wesson will give you NO Problem at all, they will even send a shipping label so it won't cost a dime. I didn't have a shield, but the 617 .22 revolver had a problem with the cylinder not rotating every time. I even fessed up to buying it used, No questions asked, except my address. Great Service.

Last edited:

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I'll second S&W customer service. I recently sent a M&P 9c in to have a couple parts looked at. I purchased the gun used, no issue, and a bent spring was somewhat my doings, still no issue. The rep told me it could be 6-8 weeks due to high volume. I think it ended being between 3 and 4 weeks maybe. Good reviews from me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BSmitty

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    thanks guys! I was a little worried. Reading up in my manual about the warranty and it was saying that its cover for the first year and then it kicks in to another warranty that is life time of the firearm as long as the original buyer owns it. Its also says that to have this, you need to register it with them within 30 days of purchase. I'm the original owner but just registered it after 3 years lol. @jwlineman @ridgerunner yalls reviews make me feel a lot better about it. Tried calling customer service on my lunch break, was on hold for about 7 minutes and had to go back to work. I'll try again in a bit.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    thanks guys! I was a little worried. Reading up in my manual about the warranty and it was saying that its cover for the first year and then it kicks in to another warranty that is life time of the firearm as long as the original buyer owns it. Its also says that to have this, you need to register it with them within 30 days of purchase. I'm the original owner but just registered it after 3 years lol. @jwlineman @ridgerunner yalls reviews make me feel a lot better about it. Tried calling customer service on my lunch break, was on hold for about 7 minutes and had to go back to work. I'll try again in a bit.
    Yeah the hold times were lengthy, mine were somewhere around 10-15 mins.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BSmitty

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    update: Just got off the phone with S&W. They simply asked what the issue was and if I've ever sent anything into them before. They gave me packaging instructions and are mailing me a FedEx shipping label. Pretty easy and good customer service so far.

Joeinfl

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll have to agree that S&W customer service is top notch. I have had to send a couple of handguns in to them over the years and they have been right on top of it from shipping to repairing. They will take care of you.

BSmitty

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll have to agree that S&W customer service is top notch. I have had to send a couple of handguns in to them over the years and they have been right on top of it from shipping to repairing. They will take care of you.

Dropped mine off at FedEx for express shipping on Friday! They pay for all shipping. I've had to send guns into Taurus before and I'm pretty sure I had to pay to ship it to them.

BSmitty

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    received an email today that S&W has received my firearm and that it is being processed. So far, so good. I like that they are keeping me in the loop. They also provided a reference number incase I needed to call in for any reason. Just sharing this info for anyone who is interested.

BSmitty

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    shipping email received today. Shipping label has been made and it says I should receive my package at home by Thursday.

BSmitty

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Received my shield back with what looks like a new slide. Not really any paper work describing what was exactly done. Just a check for functional. They had my firearm a little longer than I expected it would take but overall I'm completely satisfied in S&W. Their customer service was top notch.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd bet S&W replaced the slide you sent them. They probably deliberately used "Checked for function." without providing the results. That being an acknowledgement that their manufactured slide cracked and could have led to catastrophic failure with a high probility of injury to the operator. They also keep the defective slide which could hav been imoprtant if the issue becomes wide spread, subject to recall or a class action lawsuit or civil suit if someone eats half a slide. I'm suprised there wasn't any comment from the Factory about reloaded/re manufactured ammo use. That's normally a factories first place to shift the cause of the problem but they don't want to mention that a cracked slide even existed. IMHO

Glad you back up and running. Now you need to decide if you trust it enough to keep it for the long haul. I ask because we don't know if you got a Improved slide, a properly mfg and heat treated slide or just another slide pulled from the same stock parts as the last one?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Wondering . . . you stated "completely satisfied". Have you shot it 25 times or so yet ?? --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom