• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cjc

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looking for a 742 or 7400. Really want cal other than 30 06 but will consider for right price and condition 2517272864

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    With these guns the unreliability problems usually go along with the long actions.
    If possible you might consider looking for a 308Win vs a .30-'06 or 270. However the short actions run a little more money.
    Good luck in your search for the right gun. ---- SAWMAN

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    These are a crap shoot as for reliability in the long action, if you get one that is reliable hang onto it. Buddy bought one new and it wouldn’t eject the whole cartridge. Sometimes the base of the empty was torn off. He sent it back twice and supposedly the chamber was worked on but after the second trip back to Remington he sold it for $100 to an old boy who thought he knew what it needed. Was told he tried to get his money back but he was told about all issues before the sale and that the sale was as is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    742: Poor mans B.A.R. 10 Round mags should still be avail. I had 30.06 version for over 10 years. 100% reliable with 165s and 180s, factory and my reloads. My Father in Law had one he loved and he told my Wife it would be a great anniversary present. It wasn't a rifile I would have bought. Accuracy was 2 inches @100 yds. I only put about 300 rounds threw it while I had it, no problems. You do need to clean them well but I ran back to back Deer and Elk seasons in the bush: blow it out, wipe it down, punch the bore, good to go!

With the mix of reviews, it may be prudent to test fire a full mag before purchase.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mine was a gift from my father in law and because of that I’ll keep it and pass it on when my time with it is up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Seems that I remember something about the receivers rails that the bolt slides on wearing too fast and not giving the bolt accurate fore and aft movement.
    Unsure if there was a recall but could have been. If so,it was a very long time ago. Could be as far back as the early 90's. Also,unsure if this only effected the long actions,but suspect it did. --- SAWMAN

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Looking for a 742 or 7400. Really want cal other than 30 06 but will consider for right price and condition 2517272864

As I read the OP, the 2nd sentence states "Really want cal other than 30 06".

I don't know, maybe it's just me, But as I read it, OP does NOT want a 30-06.

You guys make me laugh with your replies tho. :rofl:

Latest posts

Top Bottom