• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Been wanting a AR-10 for some time, and right now Academy has a DPMS ar10 for $719., And PSA has theirs for <$600 (if bought separate).
    Sure, both of these are the intro rifles, but either can be upgraded down the road. The DPMS at Academy is a Sporter, doesn't even have a case deflector.

The PSA g2 are supposed to be the best. Same said about the DPMS.

I know ar10's are for the most part proprietary to the manufacturer. But notwithstanding that, Which is the Better rifle, the DPMS or the PSA in materials, craftsmanship, accuracy, etc. ?

I'm not going to buy the low-grade intro rifle, but a mid to higher grade in .308, but it will be either the DPMS or the PSA. So which is the Better of the two?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Have had a DPMS Panther Arms for several years now.
    Well built,accurate,reliable. I shoot a Barnes 130gr TSX @ 2800fps for deer/hogs/coyotes.
    They are great guns to add this and that to. Tons of parts are compatable with the DPMS brand. --- SAWMAN

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I've also had a DPMS LR-308 for several years, and it has been an excellent rifle....never considered it an intro rifle either. Fit & finish is good and function has been 100%. I haven't tried the PSA version, but I have some of their AR15s and no complaints there either. Probably comes down to what features you can get for what price.

Here is an interesting comparison I just found online:
    https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-ar-10s/

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Here is an interesting comparison I just found online:
    https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-ar-10s/

After looking at this site, it seems to me it is a biased review. All the "top" .308's are the higher end rifles, and they tossed in PSA's "entry" level rifle (their $600 rifle). PSA has higher grade rifles up and well over $1k. Kinda hard to judge the quality and workmanship when they do that. Kinda of the same as a VW Beetle, the 911 and Ferrari. Thanks for the link tho.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    don't know where you're located, but your welcome to see my dpms as well. I'n in N Pensacola/Cantonment.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    ^^^^ Great price on a 308/AR. Good as is or a good place to start building your personalized gun.
    Really do not understand why nobody produces some of these in 243,260,7-08,338Fed. In limited quanities,guessing they would sell. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ^^^^ Great price on a 308/AR. Good as is or a good place to start building your personalized gun.
    Really do not understand why nobody produces some of these in 243,260,7-08,338Fed. In limited quanities,guessing they would sell. --- SAWMAN
    As to why not the other calibers, my thought is as long as the .308 ARs are selling well enough they have no pressing motive offer more. After a bit they will do the other calibers. Would any of the alternatives that you mention require more rework than just a barrel change. If new mags and other changes are needed it could be longer. Right now 6.5 C and .308 covers a lot of territory.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Already been done to a certain extent by LMT. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• 20180819_122410.jpg
      20180819_122410.jpg
      410.3 KB · Views: 200
    Last edited:

mley1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I appreciate the offer Tom, I may take you up on it.

Anybody got the PA10 in .308?

I’ve got the PA10. I really like it. I have made quite a few mods to it though. I’ve added an adjustable gas block, ACS stock, a CMC Lantac trigger, and put a Vortex Viper 4-16x50 HS LR on it. I also added a muzzle brake to it and added two tungsten weights to the buffer. It seems to be a good combination for me.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I’ve got the PA10. I really like it. I have made quite a few mods to it though. I’ve added an adjustable gas block, ACS stock, a CMC Lantac trigger, and put a Vortex Viper 4-16x50 HS LR on it. I also added a muzzle brake to it and added two tungsten weights to the buffer. It seems to be a good combination for me.

Dang, that's alot of mod's. But how was it Before you started the upgrading? Was it a good or a so-so shooting rifle? Also, when bought, was the upper and lower bought separately, (cheaper purchase) or was it bought as a complete rifle?
    If the upper/lower was bought separately, did you experience any ftf, fte, etc..?
    Thanks

mley1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dang, that's alot of mod's. But how was it Before you started the upgrading? Was it a good or a so-so shooting rifle? Also, when bought, was the upper and lower bought separately, (cheaper purchase) or was it bought as a complete rifle?
    If the upper/lower was bought separately, did you experience any ftf, fte, etc..?
    Thanks

I bought the upper and lower separate from PSA. The upper is an 18” SS Mlock upper with mid length gas on it. The lower was an MOE EPT trigger PA10 lower.

When I first got it the gun was very over gassed, kicking cases out at 12:30-1:00 with an occasional failure to eject. The case would extract, and get ejected so hard it would fly back into the port getting caught by the bcg as it came forward with another cartridge. Also, the bcg was striking the rear of the receiver, leaving marks on both sides.

So, there were a few issues. The internal depth of the buffer tube was a touch too deep. I put two quarters in the tube behind the spring, one problem fixed. It was still over gassed. The buffer was an H1. I purchased tungsten weights on eBay and installed two in the buffer, making it an H3 buffer. Then I bought an Anderson Manufacturing AM15 adjustable gas block. It was an exact fit on my barrel. I got it adjusted so that my weakest range ammo ejects cases to about 3:30-4:00 and the bcg locks open on an empty mag every time. She was running great at that point.

I wanted one more thing, a good muzzle break. All the tests on YouTube seem to indicate the M4-72 break is the best. They’re a bit more than I wanted to spend. So, I did the unthinkable. I bought a clone off eBay for about 25.00. It worked so well I fell in love with the break. Recoil was cut in half, if not more. Shooting my PA10 feels like shooting a 5.56 nearly. It’s tame as a church cat. And I bought that same break style for my other AR’s. I liked it that much. My neighbors at the range aren’t fond of them though.

As for accuracy, my best accuracy so far has come from Federal Fusion ammo and Barnes TTSX ammo. I can typically shoot 1.25-1.5” groups with occasional .75-1.0” groups when my Mountain Dew caffeine rush wears off, and I get lucky. I bought it for hunting, and it does a great job for me. I’m happy with its accuracy.

It did take some mods and tinkering to get it where it is now, but it was worth it to me. And I know the rifle inside and out. I just put a Larue MBT 2s trigger in it. I’m gonna see how I like the two stage trigger as opposed to the CMC single stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My DPMS shot great right out of the box. Was holding off making too many mods to it thinking that I would sell it but the prices of 308/AR's have dropped so low now,I would never get my money out of the few mods that I have done already.
    Soooooooo . . . . keeping it and will put in charging handle,NiB BCG,JP Silent Captured Recoil Spring,ambi safety,adjustable gas block,etc,etc. Then . . . time for new glass.
    Gotta get someone to take off the A2 front sight gas block. I milled the upper(sight) off but the rest has gotta go. --- SAWMAN

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    What's yall's thoughts on Armalite? Is it a worthy manufacturer of AR10's? Reason asking is they have blemished upper and lower set for $130.00. Just not all that sure if they are 100% proprietary or not? As in the barrels and bcg? Can a dpms bcg fit the armalite? Doesn't matter, I'm fairly sure it is All proprietary, I can go all armalite, but are they as good as dpms, or better?

nitro

Tired and retired.
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I think Armalite is all proprietary, but I'm sure somebody that knows for will chime in. I just know that DPMS is available at this time. I fondled some last weekend.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom