• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jettjon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Hoping for some clarification which an FWC officer wasn't sure of himself.

Was shooting today on some land near my house where people shoot all the time, which happens to be part of Yellow River WMA but not posted. FWC officer was super nice and was telling me for future reference that you can't discharge firearms during hunting season, but he wasn't sure so he looked it up on his laptop. He told me the rule/law is that you can't discharge ANY firearm on Yellow River WMA UNLESS it's gun season.

Per the FWC site, http://myfwc.com/hunting/wma-brochures/nw/yellow-river/ "The discharge of a firearm outside of periods open to hunting or in areas closed to hunting is prohibited per s. 790.15 FS."

However, the statute seems to say just the opposite: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm...

"This section does not apply to a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm or to a person discharging a firearm on public roads or properties expressly approved for hunting by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or Florida Forest Service."

Thoughts?

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I think if I saw a rattler, copperhead, or water moccasin in my way, he gonna git shot..

or rabid fox, raccoon, etc

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    or properties expressly approved for hunting by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or Florida Forest Service."

Thoughts?

IDK, but I'd thunk that means "during" hunting season. Because if it isn't open to hunting, then it's not "expressly approved for hunting", as in actually hunting.

Either way, if he told me not to do it, I think I wouldn't do it. Besides, lots of people out hiking the woods and boating out of hunting season.

jettjon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yes that could be it but it's hardly clear. It's probably up to the officers' interpretation in many cases. It sure was here - neither officer knew offhand and both assumed it was fine since people shoot there all the time. Also this isn't a "hiking in the woods" area - it's a dirt pit in a scrubby area near Holt, FL. Needless to say, I thanked the officers and left immediately.

Top Bottom