• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I ran into this lovely example of a Khukuri years ago and never gave it much thought. Never interested in selling it or anything just liked the history behind it.

Anyhow talking shop a while ago about guns, knives etc. I brought up that I have an ATD 1943 Khukuri with original sheath and it was all this guy could do to keep his money in his wallet. He collects old blades and has a much wider knowledge than me on them. My paranoia keeping me in check, I assumed he was trying to get over on me went he went from $20 to $200 sight unseen. And he was serious.

I told him it was not for sale but got me to thinking I should at least know a bit more about it and current market value just to know even though it won't be sold. I am not part of any blade forums so this is my first place to ask. If there are any afficionados out there that know a bit more history and current value it would be much appreciated. Keep in mind I am not going to sell it so an honest fair market value and not garage sale pitch would be appreciated. If it is worth $10 or $1k, it will not be sold.

Just some random Googling has let me to some cool historical information of this being an example of a Army Traders Dehradun 1943 issued to troops during WW2. Cool thing is that it appears to have its original 1943 dated sheath. Does not seem to be molested in any way.

Anyhow thanks for any info fellas.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pics

Attachments

• 919F95FF-274A-4771-9BCB-ABA3FD272B7F.jpg
      919F95FF-274A-4771-9BCB-ABA3FD272B7F.jpg
      137.2 KB · Views: 156
    • 29A21F29-0F2C-4015-9264-3E8040967827.jpg
      29A21F29-0F2C-4015-9264-3E8040967827.jpg
      184.1 KB · Views: 151
    • CB952F78-08C1-418A-9AC5-CED0BAD7426B.jpg
      CB952F78-08C1-418A-9AC5-CED0BAD7426B.jpg
      220.8 KB · Views: 162
    • C6BAA017-F012-4D0B-B1EC-A3D131E2C0BA.jpg
      C6BAA017-F012-4D0B-B1EC-A3D131E2C0BA.jpg
      119 KB · Views: 159
    • 3576BE07-D2D9-4336-8CCD-08153EA975F2.jpg
      3576BE07-D2D9-4336-8CCD-08153EA975F2.jpg
      220.4 KB · Views: 149
    • 8BB86955-AE49-4904-BF07-D8B6EAD53E61.jpg
      8BB86955-AE49-4904-BF07-D8B6EAD53E61.jpg
      194.6 KB · Views: 150

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Looks like $200-300 is a good price for them...new replicas from $50...originals 200-360 it seems. Does yours have the 2 small daggers also?

I am trying to buy a Nepal one now actually carried and used by the 5th regiment
    WWII

Last edited:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    the indian scouts, feared for their stealth, used the blades to sneak up on sentries, and lop their heads off with one blow...the small blades were used to gouge out eyes, furthering the freakout factor when discovered in the morning...

the two cutouts at the base of the blade, refer to male and female symbology, and are not for functional purposes...

I would keep it, the steel looks like high carbon, and should hold a fine edge..

I have a smaller personal one, buffalo horn handle, with silver pins in it, made from some sort of stainless spring steel..

holds a good edge

Last edited:

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the info gents. Very cool history behind this ol knife. Can only imagine what this knife has been thru and the stories behind it. Certainly a keeper.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I’ll give ya $2.50 and a stick of gum. :D

Jokes aside, very nice. I love these blades, have always wanted one. I definitely want to go for the real deal - the replicas are nice, but just like surplus rifles I enjoy the stories behind them. Recently I’ve also been looking into WWII medals - not a cheap hobby by any means. Thanks for sharing, Red.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If your plan is to keep it,it really does not matter what it's worth. But . . . in the meantime I would not sell it for $300. This,if all origional and unmolested.
    Question - - > You stated . . "issued to troups during WWII". Which troups,where,and in what numbers ??? --- SAWMAN

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Its not getting sold regardless of what it is worth, but knowing what it's worth is worth it to me so that matters.

From just casual research ATD or Army Traders Dharan marked blades were made from 42-44 and issued to British commonwealth troops during the war. From what I have read to Indian and Ghurka troops maintaining garrisons in theater.

Looks to be a MKII type due to the riveted pommel, exact numbers and units I have not found though. Would be cool if they stamped a SN and MFG code on every piece like zee Germans did. Would make a database feasible. I have read there are a lot of fakes out there as well, there are some tell tale signs but one never really knows.

Unfortunately my example does not have or long lost the two little eye gouging knives. That would have been a cool set. There are no provisions on the sheath for them so maybe they were attached separately, who knows. I have been told Ghurka troops were still issued the blade and carried them into combat as recently as the Afghan war. Never saw it myself but a cool tradition none the less.

I carried a Kbar with me for a couple of combat tours for the sake of having an American fighting knife on me. Only slayed MREs and used to pry open stuff on occasion. Ka-Bar was my knife during survival training and held up fantastic. Its now retired somewhere. Our Army issue bayonets are pretty worthless in my opinion and never left my footlocker, the Marines on the other hand have a really nice bayonet that serves nicely as a fighting and bushcraft knife as well.

SOG Seal pup I found to be the best all utility knife to have downrange but the SS metal was hard to keep an edge on it unlike the K-Bar carbon steel.

Gerber LMF went with me once but unfortunately failed during some bush work. I do not think it was full tang I am not sure but broke in the handle somewhere and left the pommel floppy.

Thought about carrying a fairbairn sykes dagger just for traditions sake a few tours ago but ended up going practical and tucking a Benchmade SOC-P dagger behind my middle mag pouch. Never had to use it for anything so it is plenty dusty but clean.

There I go rambling on again, but to circle around. The history and tradition of this type of blade is pretty neat I think. Handling it, it seems like it would be able to lop off a head pretty well. Maybe one day I will come across a set of the eye gouger blades, though I am not big into collecting knives these days. Meanwhile it is a cool looking conversation piece

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ll give ya $2.50 and a stick of gum. :D

Jokes aside, very nice. I love these blades, have always wanted one. I definitely want to go for the real deal - the replicas are nice, but just like surplus rifles I enjoy the stories behind them. Recently I’ve also been looking into WWII medals - not a cheap hobby by any means. Thanks for sharing, Red.

I know man, I love military history and have tried to collect examples of different things from different wars. I'm just not smart enough to tell the difference between forgeries and the real deal. I almost bought an Afrika Corps Pith helmet for a few hundred. Looked old, sweat marks, etc but it was a shot in the dark and I let it go. Military antique collecting is a cool but expensive hobby.

Top Bottom