• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bowfreak

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    As the title States I'm looking for a 5 round AR mag possibly two or three if somebody has them. I'd be willing to either trade a 30 round PMag straight across or do cash or maybe even 556 ammo

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't think I've ever seen a dedicated 5 rd AR mag. The 20 rd mags that came with my 86 Colt AR have some kind of blocks in them that only allow 5 rounds to be loaded. They can be removed for a full tank but I never have.

Rick

bbentley40

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As the title States I'm looking for a 5 round AR mag possibly two or three if somebody has them. I'd be willing to either trade a 30 round PMag straight across or do cash or maybe even 556 ammo

If you would learn some trigger control instead of that spray and pray you wouldnt need to limit your mag size! lmao

Army_of_One

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I don't think I've ever seen a dedicated 5 rd AR mag. The 20 rd mags that came with my 86 Colt AR have some kind of blocks in them that only allow 5 rounds to be loaded. They can be removed for a full tank but I never have.

Rick

In FL centerfire can't have over 5 rounds for hunting. I've had 5 round AK mags for that purpose too.

bbentley40

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In FL centerfire can't have over 5 rounds for hunting. I've had 5 round AK mags for that purpose too.

Ahh.. dont bail him out with logic and good reasoning.. its way more fun to give Matt a hard time. lol

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Somewhere I have seen Magpul magazine followers that turn a 10 round mag into a 5 rounder. I think they came in a pack of three

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I'm not sure but doesn't that mean you can hunt with a magazine that holds more than 5 rounds, you just need to not have more than 5 rounds loaded in the gun/magazine combo. My 30-30's hold 7 rounds with one loaded in the chamber, for the longest time I hunted with 7 oblivious to the law of 5. Once I realized you were only supposed to hunt with 5 I made the change. I personally think it's one of the more dumb laws on the books but it is what it is.

Edit: My assumption was wrong, took me a while to find but found the statement below under Prohibited Methods for Taking Game in Florida.

Centerfire semi-automatic rifles having magazine capacities of more than five rounds

So am I illegal hunting with a 30-30, it's tubular magazine holds 6 rounds and I've never heard of plugging a 30-30?

Last edited:

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm not sure but doesn't that mean you can hunt with a magazine that holds more than 5 rounds, you just need to not have more than 5 rounds loaded in the gun/magazine combo. My 30-30's hold 7 rounds with one loaded in the chamber, for the longest time I hunted with 7 oblivious to the law of 5. Once I realized you were only supposed to hunt with 5 I made the change. I personally think it's one of the more dumb laws on the books but it is what it is.

I believe your 30-30 would be a "lever-action", therefore you can legally hunt with it loaded with 7 rounds.
    However, using a "semi-auto" rifle, you would need to either "Block/Limit" the mag to hold no more than 5 rounds. Or use/buy a dedicated 5rd mag.
    If you have a 30rd mag that is not blocked, and it is only loaded with 5 rounds, If you get caught with it in the woods hunting, be prepared to receive a ticket for it.
    Same too if you have it in your pocket.

From FWC site: #13 reads: Hunting with full automatic firearms, centerfire semi-automatic rifles having a magazine capable of holding more than 5 rounds, explosive or drug-injecting devices and set guns is prohibited.

As you can see, the lever-action is not included in the above, only refers to semi-auto centerfires.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aim surplus usually has the magpul limiters in stock in a 3 pack with free shipping.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    In Florida . . . For hunting deer - - -> For a rifle mag that can be detached from the gun - - -> that mag can only hold 5 rds. It can be of higher capacity,however it must be permanently altered/limited to only hold 5 rds.
    For my AR's,both 5.56 and 308 sized, I use the MagPul brand of 10 shot mags,install a MagPul -5 limiter,then "permanently" alter the mags floor plate so that the release button cannot be pushed and/or the floorplate cannot be slid off.
    Using pistols for hunting deer,you can have a mag with as many shots as you want to. My Desert Eagle held 8 shots and my Glock 20 holds 15.
    In this pic are the 2 AR mags that I cut down to hold 5 shots only(two at top right) plus the 2 that I secured base to base(top 3rd from right). This was done to be able to hunt coyotes in Maine back in the late 80's. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• DSC00491.JPG
      DSC00491.JPG
      328.5 KB · Views: 35

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I believe your 30-30 would be a "lever-action", therefore you can legally hunt with it loaded with 7 rounds.
    However, using a "semi-auto" rifle, you would need to either "Block/Limit" the mag to hold no more than 5 rounds. Or use/buy a dedicated 5rd mag.
    If you have a 30rd mag that is not blocked, and it is only loaded with 5 rounds, If you get caught with it in the woods hunting, be prepared to receive a ticket for it.
    Same too if you have it in your pocket.

From FWC site: #13 reads: Hunting with full automatic firearms, centerfire semi-automatic rifles having a magazine capable of holding more than 5 rounds, explosive or drug-injecting devices and set guns is prohibited.

As you can see, the lever-action is not included in the above, only refers to semi-auto centerfires.

LMAO, something so obvious and I totally missed it! Thanks for clarifying!

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I had one 5 round enbloc clip for my M1Garand and a USAF Ret. Sgt. Ken Wutke I worked with made me an extra one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just take a 20 round and block it off. I have one I use in my AR!

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In Florida . . . For hunting deer - - -> For a rifle mag that can be detached from the gun - - -> that mag can only hold 5 rds. It can be of higher capacity,however it must be permanently altered/limited to only hold 5 rds.
    For my AR's,both 5.56 and 308 sized, I use the MagPul brand of 10 shot mags,install a MagPul -5 limiter,then "permanently" alter the mags floor plate so that the release button cannot be pushed and/or the floorplate cannot be slid off.
    Using pistols for hunting deer,you can have a mag with as many shots as you want to. My Desert Eagle held 8 shots and my Glock 20 holds 15.
    In this pic are the 2 AR mags that I cut down to hold 5 shots only(two at top right) plus the 2 that I secured base to base(top 3rd from right). This was done to be able to hunt coyotes in Maine back in the late 80's. --- SAWMAN

Only applies to semi-auto (or if folks are a liberal AUTOMATIC) rifles... I have a 10 round on my Steyr but it's a bolt and totally legal.

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I wonder about an AR pistol? I am sure you would really have to argue it or fight it in court but it is not a rifle? I rarely hunt so not really something I am too concerned about.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom