• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DMaxKiller445

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi all

I have been working on a Grendel build for about a year now, just 1 part at a time. I just paid my tax stamp for a 762SDN6 that I plan to use with this rifle. I was curious if anyone had any good gouge on what to consider when picking a barrel when you know a can will be used such as weight, gas length, barrel length, etc. I only ask because I'm not sure of the differences, if any, particular to 6.5 vs 5.56. I'm kind of modeling this rifle on a Reece type build although not cloning any particular model. So leaning to 18 inches, medium to light weight barrel, and have a nice one from Faxon I've been tempted to click Buy Now on. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

SGB

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I went with a 24" Brownells Stainless 5R medium weight barrel as I wanted all the velocity I can get.

IMG_3865.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3865.JPG
      IMG_3865.JPG
      48.3 KB · Views: 339

DMaxKiller445

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a 24 on my 5.56 gun, it shoots like a dream but I cant imagine carrying that thing thru the woods with a suppressor on it. I bet it's a tack driver though!

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    If you're looking at the 18" Gunner I can get it OTD for well below map. PM if you're interested.

Suppressed, I'd go with the longest gas system you can get and I'd use an adjustable gas block. Profile is up to you and whatever weight you want to hump. The Gunner is nice and light. Length is velocity (and extra weight) for faster/farther. If you're reaching out, you may want the longer tube.

Hispeed

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Everyone has their own opinion/positions on what they prefer. So, I’ll share mine. I run a 20” Satern with 5R rifling. For me, it’s a good balance between weight, velocity, and these Satern barrels…they’re damn accurate. My gun loves 123 ELD-M. Now, I’ve elected NOT to run my SilCo Omega on mine for a few reasons. Length and added weight being at the top of the list. Also though, the fact it still won’t be (in my opinion) hearing safe with a can on it. You’re still going to get that distinctive “crack” for each round fired. So for those reasons, I decided not to run mine suppressed. In fact, the only rifle caliber I’m currently suppressing is 300BLK. Something else to consider is the beating your weapon will take once you add a can. I just went through the Colt armorers course (I’m an armorer for my agency) and we talked at length about what suppressing a gun doe to it over the life of the gun. I built my Grendel to have accurate knockdown power and I want to retain that with all parts working properly for as long as possible. If you’re set on running a suppressor though, as mentioned above, it would be highly advantageous to run an adjustable gas block. And once you have everything dialed in (including scope because you’ll likely experience POI shift once you put the can on), then only run it in that configuration. Some may agree, some may not. I don’t know everything and I don’t claim to. That’s just my amateur opinion. FWIW, here’s a pic of my rig. Pictured with Harris SLM Bi-pod, now has an Atlas BT10.
    2d401d6c46be3c5d4c78634d77acb147.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Just be careful with the sdn6. Ive had to return mine twice now to AAC because the ratchet system sucks on it. It wears out really quickly. When you put it on hold the ratchet lever in until you cant turn it any more then make sure its mounted securely.

Top Bottom