• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The "Tanker" Garand was never a military issued weapon.
    Does everyone/anyone agree with this statement ??
    I just learned this today. First time i'd ever hear'ed of it. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have often read it was never issued. I dislike using the word 'never'.
    What is important is that none of those for sale were so produced or modified by the DoD. They were so manufactured or modified to tanker configuration by commercial sources for commercial sales.

In 1944, engineers at Springfield Armory set to work on the M1E5 — a Garand with a shortened barrel and a folding metal stock like the one found on the paratrooper version of the M1 Carbine. The results were disappointing. Due in part to the slow burning powders used in the standard .30-06 ball ammo of the time, the noise and muzzle flash generated was considered excessive, and accuracy was greatly reduced.

Oblivious of the M1E5 experiments, a general in the Pacific Warfare Board put in a request for 15,000 carbine-length Garands. He had the Phillipine-based Ordnance division of the 6th Army hack together 150 shortened Garands as proof of concept. A couple of these field-improvised M1s were sent back to Springfield Armory to be used as a starting point for the larger order.

There was a clear need for a rifle that would combine the firepower of the M1 Garand with the maneuverability of the M1 Carbine, but tanks had nothing to do with it.
    Right away, the guys at Springfield recognized the sample rifles as nearly identical to the M1E5 they had tested the year before. They worked up a fresh prototype, this time with a standard wood stock, and dubbed it the T26. The subsequent tests with the T26 didn’t go any better than those conducted with the earlier metal-stock M1E5. In addition to the loud and flashy muzzle blast, the shorter action caused premature wear on parts, unreliable function, and excessive fouling in the gas system.

By this time, Germany had surrendered, ending the war in Europe, and victory in the Pacific was near. The effort required to address the problems with the T26 was considered too great and the project was scrapped.
    Birth of the Tanker
    The only T26 test rifle ever built at Springfield was damaged during testing and was either discarded or salvaged for parts. A similar fate likely befell the 150 experimental Garands that were field-modified in the Pacific. The sole remaining sample of the original modified Garands is one of the prototypes that was sent to Springfield in 1955, which made its way to the Springfield Armory Museum where it remains today.

In the early 1960s, this museum piece was spotted by Robert E. Penney, Jr., who thought the shortened Garand would be a handy weapon for tank crews. Through his company National Ordnance (and later Alpine), Penney was in the business of selling remanufactured M1 Garands made from the re-welded receivers of surplus rifles that had been cut and sold as scrap. Penney took his new idea and had some of his sketchy Garands cut down to be sold as “tanker” models. Soon after, the Tanker Garand was being advertised in gun magazines alongside the more authentic military surplus rifles.

Other companies later followed the trend, and none of them added their own markings to the receivers. Since only the original wartime serial numbers and manufacturers appear on these commercially modified rifles, many gun enthusiasts over the years have mistakenly assumed that the Tanker Garand was an authentic military variant of the M1.
    https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/m1-tanker-garand/

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Hummm, the things I didn't know. was just here thinking of taking the Garand to the range, but its raining right now... oh well, shooting will be better in another 6-8 weeks. come on Fall time....

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    The "Tanker" Garand was never a military issued weapon.
    Does everyone/anyone agree with this statement ??
    I just learned this today. First time i'd ever hear'ed of it. ---- SAWMAN

Agreed. "Tanker" was just a monicker that was affixed to it when someone came up with the idea of creating shortened M1 Garand. Actually, tank crews used M1911A1s, M3 Grease Guns (which replaced the M1928A1 Thompson), and, sometimes, M1 Carbines.

Birth of the Tanker

The only T26 test rifle ever built at Springfield was damaged during testing and was either discarded or salvaged for parts. A similar fate likely befell the 150 experimental Garands that were field-modified in the Pacific. The sole remaining sample of the original modified Garands is one of the prototypes that was sent to Springfield in 1955, which made its way to the Springfield Armory Museum where it remains today.

In the early 1960s, this museum piece was spotted by Robert E. Penney, Jr., who thought the shortened Garand would be a handy weapon for tank crews. Through his company National Ordnance (and later Alpine), Penney was in the business of selling remanufactured M1 Garands made from the re-welded receivers of surplus rifles that had been cut and sold as scrap. Penney took his new idea and had some of his sketchy Garands cut down to be sold as “tanker” models. Soon after, the Tanker Garand was being advertised in gun magazines alongside the more authentic military surplus rifles.

Other companies later followed the trend, and none of them added their own markings to the receivers. Since only the original wartime serial numbers and manufacturers appear on these commercially modified rifles, many gun enthusiasts over the years have mistakenly assumed that the Tanker Garand was an authentic military variant of the M1.

The “Garand Carbine Tanker Model” was commercially available starting back in the 1960s.

Personally, I like my Beretta/Sante Fe M-59 more than I like the "Tanker" Garand.

HVucNl2.jpg

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have seen,and used,some different than "normal" or "issue" weapons. Most were a carry over from WWII and/or Korea.
    This AM I called two of my buddies from the old daze. We talked about this at length and all agreed that we never witnessed a "Tanker" Garand being used,carried,or even in storage. No Beretta BM-59's either.
    Plenty of the M1 carbines in the "other than normal" configuration including the M2.
    Are their any companies currently making the Tanker Garand ??
    JJ told me that he built the very first one. We most likely all can agree on that . . . right. --- SAWMAN

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I will ask my buddy if he has seen one or if he knew if Hook had one.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lest not forget the Lee Enfield Tanker..

Attachments

• fZHKSu1GjJdbQKCpe66kn7p1myyXvlo42vyj2gLg9jA.jpg
      fZHKSu1GjJdbQKCpe66kn7p1myyXvlo42vyj2gLg9jA.jpg
      104 KB · Views: 666

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lots of cool info in this thread. I have a soft spot for issued military rifles but a properly built "tanker" is interesting. JJ let me shoot one of his and I thought it was a cool little rifle/carbine. Functioned flawlessly.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    To some,it's sacrilegious ,however the Garands and tankers that interest me are the NON .30-'06 chamberings.
    Even chambered in 308Win would be of more interest.
    Talked to jj re. a different chambering but would be costly and somewhat a PITA. I feel that a M1A would be better for a project like this. ---- SAWMAN

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    To some,it's sacrilegious ,however the Garands and tankers that interest me are the NON .30-'06 chamberings.
    Even chambered in 308Win would be of more interest.
    Talked to jj re. a different chambering but would be costly and somewhat a PITA. I feel that a M1A would be better for a project like this. ---- SAWMAN

That would be the M1A SOCOM 16.

ou3j66e.jpg

*File picture. Not mine.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If people are willing to pay for it a completely equipped gunshop run by someone with a lot of knowledge can rework and rebarrel garands into 338 win mag and 458 win mag. They were so offered commercially at one time.

mcCann 458 garamd.jpg
    Shares
    Facebook49Facebook Like49EmailTwitterGoogle+RedditPinterestLinkedInStumbleUpon
    OOOD: McCann Industries .458 Win Mag Garand

Posted July 6, 2015 in Companies, News, Rifles by Nathan S with 34 Comments
    Tags: .458, Garand, M1, magnum, Win Mag

Back in early 2000’s, McCann Industries (known for their M1 Garand Gas Trap Adjuster) manufactured an M1 Garand in .458 Winchester Magnum. Not made anymore after the passing of McCann’s primary gunsmith, the rifles are a fine example of ingenuity and practicality applied to big-game hunting.
    ADVERTISING

At first, I flinched just thinking about it, but the few videos of it shooting shed some light on how this big-game cartridge is tamed. While the base rifle was identical, McCann added an aggressive muzzle brake and a mercury cylinder to the stock to absorb and deflect the recoil.

Attachments

• mcCann 458 garamd.jpg
      mcCann 458 garamd.jpg
      30.8 KB · Views: 444

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The ultimate bear stopper. I have no idea if there were ever any problems with those guns.

From Memory, they cost a pretty penny and there were not many made. There always seemed to be a waiting list to get one.
    I saw one at a show and it looked real Beefy next to a regular m1. But to be fair. How many rounds are you going to put through one.. Half a bandolier of regular 30-06 ammo is enough for me..

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I know all of you are wrong, I know there was some made by the Gov. I have two and they run just fine and can hit my 200 yd plates. How do I know this They told me so . I talk to them on a regular basis, when I open the safe and let them breathe fresh air. So get your facts right. Just my 5 cents jj

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know all of you are wrong, I know there was some made by the Gov. I have two and they run just fine and can hit my 200 yd plates. How do I know this They told me so . I talk to them on a regular basis, when I open the safe and let them breathe fresh air. So get your facts right. Just my 5 cents jj

Hey cling to your beliefs .. I will back you 100%,, But you need to back me up about my Argentine Ballester–Molina being made from the metal salvaged off the Graf Spee.. I do believe ...I do believe..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sKzPBu2M8A

Latest posts

Top Bottom