• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dchase4184

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looking to see if I can get any reliable feedback on a couple of shotguns. With dove season fast approaching I am in the market for a new shotgun. The one I have been using is a old Remington 11-87 and its time to update and get a lighter shotgun. I have been looking and most new shotguns coming out are the inertia driven instead of gas, and since i will be mainly using it for dove hunting and will be shooting lighter loads. I have been looking at the Remington Versamax and Winchester SX4. If you have any advice or comments on any of these shotguns I would greatly appreciate any help or advice. Thank you again.

oyeme!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How about the Remington V3? There are some solid reports on it and it compares favorably to the two you are considering.

In addition, Mossberg 930s have a good following.

Of the two you are focused on the Versamax seems to be the best bet.

Of the three reviewed by Randy Wakeman below (he tests more semi autos than anyone) the SX4 was the worst by far. Good luck.

http://randywakeman.com/Review2017RemingtonV3WalnutReviewPartTwo.htm

http://randywakeman.com/The2017WinchesterSX4Puzzler.htm

http://randywakeman.com/Review2016Mossberg930ProSeriesSportingShotgunPartTwo.htm

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought a new Winchester SX4 12 ga. last year and took it out of the box, cleaned it and took it to a dove shoot. I purposely took a mixture of cheap bird loads everything from 1oz to 1 1/4oz loads trying to get the gun to choke up and it performed flawlessly. I would definitely recommend the SX4 in that price range.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Personally . . . I believe that you will have more fun with a 20ga pump gun.
    870,500,37,etc,etc . . . full vent rib with screw in chokes. Modified and cyl bore is most likely the only ones you will ever need with the right ammo. ---- SAWMAN

Tige

Who/where (born visible, identify as Trans-parent)
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    20 gauge and doves are a natural pair IMHO. And 20 gauge tends to be lighter. Or 28 - and ammo is available

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    From what I have seen lately,28ga ammo is becoming more available. Even at Walmart.
    Only potential "problem",consider load density for your intended target. --- SAWMAN

Psycho 16

Celer,Silens,Mortalis
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IMHO after many a dove hunt, I definitely agree with sawman. I catch a lot of grief. Never thought I’d step away from my ol sweet 16. But for the last couple seasons I’ve been using an old 500a gamester. Once you adjust to excessive rattling, it operates perfectly.

Boardfeet

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My best advice would be to go with a 20ga. For doves. I have a Benelli Legacy. It is super light and a sweet shooter.
    these are kinda pricey but the same gun with less bling is more affordable. This gun weighs about 6# and recoil is pretty much non existent.
    984484E7-CED5-41F3-A314-43DEA7B7AF47.jpeg
    8550815A-3EDC-40CC-99A2-3CCAF13BCCE7.jpeg
    A9DA42FC-A2A7-41BF-94EB-3D14633A63B1.jpeg

Last edited:

16gauge

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a friend who just bought 4 of the Girsan MC312 shotguns, 3 in camo and 1 in black for there dove lease. They are Benelli copies and come with 5 choke tubes. Torture tested and proven to work. Lots of videos and reviews to see, they run about $400 and are hard to locate sometimes but a seller in SC has them on Gunbroker with free shipping and no credit card fee.

rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1
    Can't go wrong with one of the $216 HATFIELD'S from Walmart. 12 or 20 Gauge. THEY WORK and don't break the bank. Plus also, you don't worry as much about scuffs and Nick's like you would on a high dollar shotgun.

Tige

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    FNG here.....But the is something VERY AWESOME about hunting with a double barrel. OU are phenomenal and SxS are just old school cool. IMHO. Just saying....
    Like I said, FNG here - someone invite me hunting or school me on the local
    Thanks
    Old Soldier

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I shoot a O/U much better than I do a SxS.
    For some reason I continously am trying to find which bbl to look down.
    Love the looks and handling of the short,light double though. --- SAWMAN

Boardfeet

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My favorite bird gun is a Beretts Silver pigeon 28 ga.
    28” barrels. Over under shotguns can make an average shooter much better. The key is a balanced quality gun with plenty of sight plane. The stack barrels just swing better.
    6CA06C86-60DE-4105-A70D-9024B4344E02.jpeg
    8E0E18D1-C694-4489-AD5B-93C4FD01DDD0.jpeg

Tige

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sawman!
    Personally, I don’t look down the barrels. I look at the target. From my perspective, you really don’t aim a shotgun as you would a rifle. I point a shotgun and if it fits me (and I don’t flinch, lift my head, stop the swing or otherwise poke the pooch), I generally hit the bird. Not saying I do it consistently or well though. I agree with you on OU, But I do like hunting SxS

Boardfeet

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sawman!
    Personally, I don’t look down the barrels. I look at the target. From my perspective, you really don’t aim a shotgun as you would a rifle. I point a shotgun and if it fits me (and I don’t flinch, lift my head, stop the swing or otherwise poke the pooch), I generally hit the bird. Not saying I do it consistently or well though. I agree with you on OU, But I do like hunting SxS
    100% correct. If the gun fits you, you should be shooting with both eyes open, looking at the target.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    I'm gonna be "that" guy... Browning Maxus. Its more than anything the OP is asking about but buy once, cry once. My right shoulder is nuttin' but bone on bone with bits of cartilage floating around. My pump guns aren't bad but my O/U is brutal on me now. The Maxus is soft shooting for me. I can run a flight of sporting clays no problem and still brush my teeth in the morning... can't say that about any other 12ga I own.

Top Bottom