Firearms Coating: Which would you use and why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • godncountry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lets say you wanted to coat your firearm... Which coating would you look into and why would you go that direction?

My personal bias leans towards Cerakote, and KG Gunkote personally because of the research and testing that goes into the two coatings as far as the salt tests, abrasion tests etc. Also the amount of available colors, and experience working with the two.

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Those are pretty much the only 2 I would use. Duracoat isn't as durable or has the availability with colors as the other 2. I had an M1A SOCOM 16 a couple years ago that has Multicam Duracoat with a Cerakote clear that turned out alright. A buddy of mine now owns it. Not sure how great it has held up.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For modern guns I like either Cera or Kote, given the range of colors and durability seems decent on the few I have had done.

I would love to see the lost art of deep hot bluing come back. Seems every shop I have asked can't or wont do it, and I am reluctant to ship a firearm off to some shop out of state for a re-blue.

I have had some success with just standard birchwood casey cold blue, but applying some heat during the process and patiently re-applying many coats and blending with 0000 steel wool. I notice that surface prep is key though. I have considered getting a cheap sand blaster for just that reason. Anyway once I get a nice deep blue where I want it I notice cure time and a light coat of oil is key for durability.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Joe that would be awesome, if you find his info let me know. I have 2 classics that need a good re-blue. They aren't collectors types so a refinish wont take away from historical value or anything. It would just be sweet to see them shining again.

godncountry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The last place I was at that did deep bluing was the AF gunsmith shop at lackland. They were doing custom berettas for AF generals and at the time of my visit they were talking about transitioning to cerakote.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Scott at Enforcement Firearms and he's on here (Shaq 1911) has cerakoted several of my firearms and I have loved all his work!!!

Top Bottom