• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am running new TV cable in the house. Currently I have a box on the outside where the cable comes from the pole. Two coax cables come out of this box and run down the eves until they turn into the house for the living room and the master bedroom.

I am running a new RG6 quad shielded coax cable from the box, thru the garage wall, up into the attic and over to close to where the attic stairs are where I plan on installing a splitter, about 50 running ft. I will run other cables from this attic splitter to the walls in at least 3 rooms.

This quad shielded cable is a lot more expensive than the non, should I use it for the rest of the house also? Does it make that much difference? Is running the one cable to the splitter enough to run 3 or more jacks? Anything I shouldn't do?

RH

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My main feed comes into a central communications box in the house I installed and then I think it feeds through a powered amp before being sent to the splitter that splits it out to all the different rooms. I will verify my exact setup when I get home.

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    They should be able to test the main signal to see just how many splits you can run without too low a signal. I have a very low signal due to around 200ft of main line "the largest line they said they had for running down the poles to the house" and then almost 100ft of new regular sized line around the outside of the house and into the main router in the house and its barely enough signal. When I first had it connected years ago Cox installed a signal increasing device that I had to plug into the wall power but that system has been eliminated now since they have a better signal running down the highway. Also, the Cox internet guy told me every connection reduces the single even if its not a split but didnt say how much.

I was slowly loosing internet speed for a month or two then the router was resetting about 40 times a day and turns out a squirrel ate into my line coming to the house and had water in about 50ft of it when we unconnected the main line it drained out for good bit.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I tried to avoid this because obviously as pointed out above, it depends on what signal strength you start with. That said, in any splitting all things being equal (which they won't be, but its a guideline) half the power is going to go down one leg, and half the other. So splitting gives you half power (again roughly). Then split again, and your down to quarter power.

As pointed out also, if necessary, you can purchase line drivers to restore power levels.

WRT to super shielded cable, it's not necessary; you're not in a high EMI noise environment. Regular shielded coax, with the shield properly terminated (no ground loops, thank you) is sufficient.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Also, be sure to properly terminate any unused splitter ports with 75 ohm terminators (or whatever impedance your cable is) to prevent reflected signals resulting in standing waves.

cablechris

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Run all the lines to the outside box. Think at some point that splitter is going to go bad and will need to be replaced. It’s much easier to replace it on the side of the House then in the attic. Quad shield is great Cox uses tri shield. You want all the shielding you can get I could go into why but I won’t bore you with that. Go to cox and get the splitter. Find a tech in your neighborhood they will be happy to give you one. They way they look at it is it saves you money and possibly them a truck roll out to your house to replace your $20 gold splitter. PM me if you have more questions. I’d be happy to answer any you may have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Do we have a cable guy in the neighborhood? CRESTVIEW... I am moving a TV, COX at the moment, and have run the cable. I need the barrel ends, maybe a splitter and the connection in the box to the right terminal of the TV I am turning off so I can turn the new location on with the TV and cable box I removed. I refuse to call Cox and pay $60...HELP

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lots of benefits to going Wireless...
    all the new TV sets and Blu-Ray's have wireless options.
    New TV's are getting real inexpensive!

As long as you don't fall for that 4K jive.
    Frankly, I don't wanna see every pimple covered/not covered by makeup on screen.
    Sometimes extreme clarity is more than you bargained for ;)

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yeah BS if I knew how to do that or had the TV's that did it I might consider. However I have the cable run and just need the barrel connectors and maybe a splitter. I thought someone close might have gone cable free or had experience to help me out.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Do we have a cable guy in the neighborhood? CRESTVIEW by airport... I am moving a TV, COX at the moment, and have run the cable. I need the barrel ends, maybe a splitter and the connection in the box to the right terminal of the outside cable box. I am turning off one TV in the house and going to the porch(cable run already)so I can turn the new location on with the TV and cable box I removed. I refuse to call Cox and pay $60...HELP Also if you have experience of hanging a TV from the ceiling so it can flip down for viewing a plus. PM please I also WTB a ceiling flip up mount.

Top Bottom