• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/m...der-new-law-report-says/ar-BBLhi6I?li=BBnb7Kz

This is from Fox news

Hundreds of gun owners in Florida have been ordered to give up their guns under a new law that took effect after the deadly Parkland shooting in February, according to a report published Monday.

The Risk Protection Order, signed by Florida Gov. Rick Scott just three weeks after a gunman killed 17 people at Stoneman Douglas, aims to temporarily remove weapons from gun owners who have been deemed by a judge to possibly be a threat to themselves or others.

Roughly 200 firearms have been confiscated in the state since the law was enacted, Sgt. Jason Schmittendorf, of the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office, told WFTS-TV. "Around 30,000 rounds of ammunition" were also taken, he said.

A five-person team in the county that's worked solely on the risk protection law reportedly has filed 64 risk protection petitions in court. Broward County, according to the news outlet, has filed 88 risk protection petitions since March.

"It’s a constitutional right to bear arms and when you are asking the court to deprive somebody of that right we need to make sure we are making good decisions, right decisions and the circumstances warrant it,” Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri told the station in defense of the task force.

Every petition filed under the order in Pinellas County has so far been granted by the judge, according to the report.

FLORIDA GOV. RICK SCOTT SIGNS GUN BILL FOLLOWING PARKLAND MASSACRE, IN BREAK WITH NRA ALLIES

The first gun seizure under the law occurred in April when Florida authorities confiscated an AR-15 semiautomatic rifle from an Army veteran.

Jerron Smith's gun was seized when he refused to surrender it voluntarily, the Broward County Sheriff's Office said at the time. The officers also seized a .22 caliber rifle he owned, hundreds of rounds of ammunition, a bump stock and numerous other weapon-related items.

In addition to confiscating guns, the law also raised the age to buy a rifle to 21 and established a three-day waiting period on gun purchases.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yup, Rick Scott sucks too. The only thing is he doesn't suck as bad as Bill Nelson so will have to hold my nose and vote for him...

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    wonder what was the criteria given as reason to seize the gun(s)?

and why seize the ammo, you cannot shoot it without the gun?

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We need to know a lot more about this. Exactly how does someone come to the attention of the authorities. And what criteria are used in the confiscation process. Are the weapons ever returned?

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yup, Rick Scott sucks too. The only thing is he doesn't suck as bad as Bill Nelson so will have to hold my nose and vote for him...

You got that right.... Bill Nelson is a little weasel that hates guns and LEOs

as for what justifies these seizure orders, all the info I have seen.... it can be as simple as a friend or family member signing an affidavit that you are mentally unstable and the risk of you using a firearm is great.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If the "Risk Protection Orders" were truly about keeping someone from harming themselves or others, the sheriffs would be confiscating far more than just guns and ammo. They would take car keys, knives, hammers, power tools, rope, medications, neck ties, scarves, etc... Heck, just wrap a person in bubble-wrap and lock them in a padded room.

No. Don't let the propoganda get repeated. It's not about "Risk Protection".

It is 100% about Gun Control.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    You got that right.... Bill Nelson is a little weasel that hates guns and LEOs

as for what justifies these seizure orders, all the info I have seen.... it can be as simple as a friend or family member signing an affidavit that you are mentally unstable and the risk of you using a firearm is great.

oh great,... there goes grandpa's gun collection, grandkids dropped a dime on him cause he doesn't name them in his will....

yep old grandpa goes around muttering that he needs to shoot them all....he is a bad man, and maybe one of those extremist Christians....

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Taking guns/ammo is hand in hand. Under injunctions (Domestic Violence and Repeat Violence Injunctions) guns and ammo are seized and while the injunctions are in place if you are located with 1 live round (or firearm of couse) it's a criminal violation. After all the court proceedings are done, if a person is cleared then the firearms/ammo are returned. If not you will loose em until the order is expired. I would think this "new law" will be the same.

I'm sure if family members signs an affidavit stating a member of the family is a danger to themselves or others involving a firearm will be held more urgent then a neighbor or friend. It will also be used alot due to neighbor disputes where folks like to come outside brandishing firearms or firing "warning shots" or just shooting where a disturbance may be involved.

All I can say is use your head and watch your mouth... Also use your vote and get all these people out of office! Hell watch the idiot democrat Greene commercial... He's gonna ban "assault weapons" immediately if elected!!! He has tons of $$$ and expects to win because of it!!!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    . . . . "use your head and watch your mouth".
    IMO this just about sums it up. I know/know of,quite a few people that are otherwise good individuals . . . BUT . . . they just could not seem to keep their mouth shut at the most inopportune time. It's like . . . as soon as they said it,they knew they frigged up.
    Do what you feel needs to be done to protect your right to own and use firearms. Especially . . . VOTE !! ---- SAWMAN

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If a fellow had more than one firearm and had access to secure storage in another state, it might not be a bad idea to keep his extra one out of Florida. Just how far is it to Alabama from Pensacola anyway?

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If a fellow had more than one firearm and had access to secure storage in another state, it might not be a bad idea to keep his extra one out of Florida. Just how far is it to Alabama from Pensacola anyway?
    You need to consider:
    Storage units do broken into.
    Crossing a state line to retrieve a firearm that you are prohibited from possessing is something I wonder about the legality of.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You need to consider:
    Storage units do broken into.
    Crossing a state line to retrieve a firearm that you are prohibited from possessing is something I wonder about the legality of.

I don’t wonder about any of those things, I’m very sure of the answers. What worries me is half cocked liberals taking more of of my rights.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    And if all that isn't bad enough, this Goober, Philip Levine, wants to Ban Assault Weapons if elected as Florida's next Governor. He's playing that sympathy card and the minimum wage card.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Just out of curiosity, what rights have they taken from you so far?

Well, pertinent to this thread, they've taken the right to have firearms and ammo without fear of Unconstitutional seizure at the whim of a single judge, violating multiple Amendments in the Bill of Rights.

Also, the "bump stock ban" language is so vague, that the right to own Many perfectly legal firearm parts (not just actual bump-stocks) will soon be taken, too.

That's just the most recent examples.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Are you sure half cocked liberals did all that?

Label them what you want. I don't care.

I call them spineless short-sighted egotistical ungrateful annoying whiny wastes of societal resources.

Unfortunately, too many elected pushovers listened to them...

Top Bottom